classic car forum header
Classic cars forum & vehicle restoration.
 FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 
Register     Posting Photographs     Privacy     F/book OCC Facebook     OCC on Patreon

OT: PC Plodding / penny pinching?
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Classic cars forum & vehicle restoration. Forum Index -> General Motoring & Collectables (inc Classic Caravans)
Rick
Site Admin

PostPosted: Fri Jan 06, 2012 4:38 pm    Post subject: OT: PC Plodding / penny pinching? Reply with quote

The old PC was beginning to creak at the edges, so the last couple of days have been spent configuring a replacement, while the old one has been relegated to support duties. The old one ran Windows XP, the new one has Windows 7 which is a very different kettle of fish Confused

What I don't understand is why, on an all-singing all-dancing PC that can play blu-ray discs (whatever they are) and handle all manner of games etc, has tons of memory, fancy graphics etc, is why it comes with no speakers as standard Question Exclamation Question How much would it cost to include a basic set of speakers with all new PCs???

The previous PC didn't come with any either, fortunately the one prior to that did and (handily) they still work well.

RJ
OCC & classic car merchandise (Austin, Ford ++):
https://www.redbubble.com/people/OldClassicCar/shop
D4B

PostPosted: Fri Jan 06, 2012 6:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Rick,

Very frustrating things computers I hate them with a passion !!!

Steve
ukdave2002

PostPosted: Fri Jan 06, 2012 6:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Although I work in IT (ok as a scummy salesman!!), I have never really understood PC's Embarassed

I can do electronics, I could also manage low level machine code or processer programming...... MS windows I have no idea!!.

A few years ago I bought a Mac, what I can say is that,I no longer get any obscure problem messages, it boots up in 30 seconds (every windows pc I ever had got slower by the day!) .

At work most of our techies really only understand high level stuff (so fix things like... “I have a misfire" ok so let’s, reboot if that dosn't work lets put a new engine in!!)

Most PC's these days are assembled in China, speakers are relatively heavy, I suspect that the shipping costs just dont work, hence not included.

Rick if you wnt you new PC to be finished in; Old English White, I can do you a deal!

Dave
ukdave2002

PostPosted: Fri Jan 06, 2012 7:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

ukdave2002 wrote:
Although I work in IT (ok as a scummy salesman!!), I have never really understood PC's Embarassed

I can do electronics, I could also manage low level machine code or processer programming...... MS windows I have no idea!!.

A few years ago I bought a Mac, what I can say is that,I no longer get any obscure problem messages, it boots up in 30 seconds (every windows pc I ever had got slower by the day!) .

At work most of our techies really only understand high level stuff (so reslove problems in this way... “I have a misfire" ok so let’s, re-start if that dosn't work lets put a new engine in!!)

Most PC's these days are assembled in China, speakers are relatively heavy, I suspect that the shipping costs just dont work, hence not included.

Rick if you wnt you new PC to be finished in; Old English White, I can do you a deal!

Dave
Rick
Site Admin

PostPosted: Fri Jan 06, 2012 7:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

ukdave2002 wrote:

Dave

got some left over eh? Smile

RJ
OCC & classic car merchandise (Austin, Ford ++):
https://www.redbubble.com/people/OldClassicCar/shop
Penman

PostPosted: Fri Jan 06, 2012 7:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Rick
If you remember the days of quality Hi-Fi and vinyl one always bought the best speakers you could afford. Presumably that is why they are giving you that option for your new "entertainment system".

Any 2 from:-
Straight 6
V8 V10
Jim.Walker

PostPosted: Fri Jan 06, 2012 11:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I used to (as a second string to my first as a motor vehicle lecturer) teach computer programming and DOS usage.
I even have an RSA Teaching Diploma in computer studies.

THEN. Along came Windows just at the time I took early retirement.
I have never really come to terms with Windows. The logic (if it has any) totally defies me. And every new version of Windows changes operation sequences and steepens the learning curve.
Even clearing things like cookies in Windows 7 seems to be degree level.
Are there any other systems easier to use?
Jim.
Riley Blue

PostPosted: Sat Jan 07, 2012 7:53 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

My first computer was a Sinclair ZX81 with a 16K RAM pack which taught me the basics of computing. Since then I've worked my way through various flavours of Windows starting with 3.1 - I just regard Window's idiosyncrasies as an exercise to keep dementia at bay.

To answer Rick's original question, if every PC came with a pair of speakers I's have seven pairs by now, most of them unused. I bought a pair of Yamaha speakers with PC No. 1 and they're still working OK with PC No. 7.

Last year I had a PC assembled to my own specification by a local computer shop for a specific task (I edit the Riley Motor Club's magazine). It doesn't play blu-ray discs (why pay for someting you don't need?) but it is capable of multi-tasking without slowing to a crawl, has excellent graphics and can play music CDs when I feel in the mood - I've no complaints.
ukdave2002

PostPosted: Sat Jan 07, 2012 10:51 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Jim.Walker wrote:
I used to (as a second string to my first as a motor vehicle lecturer) teach computer programming and DOS usage.
I even have an RSA Teaching Diploma in computer studies.
Jim.

Jim there must be something in the blood with motor vehicle lecturer's; when I did my vehicle body restoration course at Chester College, our tutor (who seem to have the ability to shape metal prescisley by just looking at it!!) also doubled up as an IT lecturer Surprised

Dave
Jim.Walker

PostPosted: Sat Jan 07, 2012 12:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Dave,
I wrote a suite of programs and data which was accepted by Derbyshire Education Authority for use County wide.
Essentially intended for Motor vehicle students, The programs included a multi choice question format, a program to establish a new set of questions and answers data and the user program which allowed any set of questions to be viewed and answered on-screen by students with suitable progress comments. Another program listed random questions from the data files. Multi choice hard copies could also be printed off. for classroom tests.
As it turned out, with different data etc. the suite could be used for multi choice tests or revision on any subject.
I still have a copy I cannot use - probably the only one left.
Ah well....................anyone have a BBC computer?
Jim.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Classic cars forum & vehicle restoration. Forum Index -> General Motoring & Collectables (inc Classic Caravans) All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: