classic car forum header
Classic cars forum & vehicle restoration.
 FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 
Register     Posting Photographs     Privacy     F/book OCC Facebook     OCC on Patreon

MGB VS SPITFIRE. Which is better?
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Classic cars forum & vehicle restoration. Forum Index -> Classic & Vintage Cars, Lorries, Vans, Motorcycles etc - General Chat
fordpop

PostPosted: Mon Jan 30, 2012 12:27 pm    Post subject: Re: MGB VS SPITFIRE. Which is better? Reply with quote

shawnxuu wrote:
Hi. This would be my first post on this forum. I've always adored classic cars though I've never owned one. I've narrowed my choices down to 2 cars. Either a MG MGB Roadster or aTriuMGmph Spitfire. To be more specific, a 1968 MG MGB Roadster or a 1966 Triumph Spitfire MK2.

I hope that you guys can perhaps list down some pros and cons? Tell me which car you would have if given the choice. Thanks!

Apologies to shawnxuu for taking this off-topic and hope we haven't put him off owning an older car - (or from posting on this forum...)

If I had to choose between the two, I'd go for the Spitfire, in the (possibly misguided) belief that it would be easier to maintain, more economical and probably more fun to drive.

In my time, amongst other things, I have driven a brand new Mk 3 Spitfire on a round-Britain holiday (in 1967), owned a Mk 4 Spitfire, also a nice Herald 13/60 convertible and two, 2-litre Vitesses (and more recently an MX5 - sorry!).

1967 Mk 3 Spitfire - somewhere in Scotland in 1967!

Me in 1968 Vitesse tackling Blue Hills Mine on the Lands End trial in the early seventies:

13/60 convertible - owned for a while in the 80s:

1957 Ford 103E Popular
1926 Austin 12/4 Clifton Tourer
1966 Humber Sceptre MkII
3xpendable

PostPosted: Mon Jan 30, 2012 2:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yeah sure the MX5 will be better, but the design is essentially 20 years younger than the B or the Spitfire so its absolutely unfair to compare them.

Its more accurate comparing an MX5 to a Ford Puma or something...
1980 Porsche 911 SC Targa (Uncle)
1971 MGB GT (V8 project) -SOLD 2016
2005 MINI Cooper S JCW - SOLD 2016
Salopian

PostPosted: Mon Jan 30, 2012 11:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Agreed I did say they are a newer design and of course its unfair! Isn't it a pity MG kept on making such an outdated model as the B for so long though. The MX 5 should have been an MG product ----
Actually they do rust it seems but after some considerable lifetime - certainly more life than most Spitties or Bs managed from new. I recall seeing Bs with rusted through front wings at 2 yrs old and my old 1974 TR6 was literally rancid by 1980 - if OCH 666N still survives I bet it will be all new by now.
Anyway each to their own - buy whatever you like and enjoy it!

Just had a look at the DVLA site on an impulse - looks like it has not survived. Not surprised!!
Carcruiser

PostPosted: Tue Jan 31, 2012 1:26 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

yes it was the back end ofthe sills in front of the back wheels that had gone onthe MX5 I had in for work. Only needed a small piece cutting out and a patch letting in on each side, below the colour line on the black stone chip area so easy enough to make look invisible. I guess thats where the progress is on modern cars - corrosion protection...
Roger-hatchy

PostPosted: Tue Jan 31, 2012 10:15 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Triumphs were built rusty
I can remember collecting the first TR4 to be sold in London.
Collected from a field of brand new ones in Acton.
Took it for under-sealing, was an option in those days, was refused as the underside was too rotten, 14 miles on the clock.

Like most cars of the era, rust prevention was the last thought on the manufacturers mind.

Had a Mk1 Spitfire in Singapore in 63-65, was a fun car.
A friend has a Mk3, electrics are the main problem he has.

But still fun to drive.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Classic cars forum & vehicle restoration. Forum Index -> Classic & Vintage Cars, Lorries, Vans, Motorcycles etc - General Chat All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to: