classic car forum header
Classic cars forum & vehicle restoration.
 FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 
Register     Posting Photographs     Privacy     F/book OCC Facebook     OCC on Patreon

Winter plans
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Classic cars forum & vehicle restoration. Forum Index -> Classic & Vintage Cars, Lorries, Vans, Motorcycles etc - General Chat
peter scott

PostPosted: Sun Jan 22, 2012 11:48 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

+1

Shocked
clan chieftain

PostPosted: Sun Jan 22, 2012 10:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have done a decoke on the marina coupe General Lee but I am doing it outside weather permitting. I also need to check the brakes and give it a grease then it will be ready for MOT....should be ok.
Roll on May for our first show at East Kilbride or I might fancy the show at Carlisle Airport on the same day. Has anyone ever been to the Carlisle Airport show first Sunday in May.
52classic

PostPosted: Wed Jan 25, 2012 10:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just booked for the first show of the season. Coleford at Easter. That will be an outing for the F350 this year, shouldn't take too much preparation, the 'hammered' look enhances a military vehicle IMHO!

It will be a few weeks yet 'til the 100e comes out of storage and I am hopeful that as ever she'll respond to a good clean and a service to be ready for another season.

Having got going on the 2002 at long last, progress is slow but I am pleased with how much I've done. Rear floors (including some home fabricated subframe mounts) are done, one sill replaced and it is down on its wheels and rolling to be turned around to do the other side in my 1.5 car garage.

All this whilst building an extension on our house. Who else would start a project in November which involved taking the roof off? Still, I got the shell up and roof back on a few days before Christmas so I can enjoy the indoor second fix.
mikeC

PostPosted: Thu Jan 26, 2012 9:48 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

52classic wrote:
... Who else would start a project in November which involved taking the roof off? ...

Yup - been there, done that. We didn't get the roof back on until April Rolling Eyes
Richard H

PostPosted: Thu Jan 26, 2012 11:32 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Cambridge - Finish welding in the new floorpan, outriggers, chassis and start cutting the old passenger sill out.

A35 (NO) - Try yet again to find the source of the annoying knocking from the engine. For the record, it only knocks when the fan belt is fitted, when it's removed the noise stops, and if it's overtightened it nearly stops. Already replaced the water pump and dynamo.

A35 (SHX) Fit new rear shock absorbers.

Atlantic - Get it out of the garage, re-rubber the brake master cylinder, adjust the steering column so I can fit under the wheel, sort out the charging system, and weld up the drivers floorpan. Check the tyre sizes as I suspect they're too wide (extremely difficult to get the rear ones on and off without stretching the bodywork) and try and get insurance for me to drive it.

How much of the above will actually get done, I don't know.
mikeC

PostPosted: Thu Jan 26, 2012 6:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I am slowly working may way through re-commissioning (or should that be comissioning, since I don't think it has been run since restoration in the 1980s) of my newly imported Saxon. Much of the work so far has been finding/modifying things to make it UK-legal (lights, horn, registration plates, etc) and I am now going through the mechanics prior to MOTing so that I can get it registered. I fired it up for the first time last week, which revealed a flaw in the fuel system, so I have now reworked that, and it looks like I may now have to adjust (hopefully) or rebuild the clutch, and then we are just about there... Laughing

Meanwhile, I am also doing some building work on the garage itself, which explains the tip in the background Shocked
52classic

PostPosted: Thu Jan 26, 2012 6:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Mike, what a glorious looking vehicle! Space to work and a car trailer too, lucky man.

I have never tinkered with anything from that era, maybe one day.
Rick
Site Admin

PostPosted: Thu Jan 26, 2012 7:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It'd be great to have a thread running on that MikeC!! Smile

R
OCC & classic car merchandise (Austin, Ford ++):
https://www.redbubble.com/people/OldClassicCar/shop
pigtin

PostPosted: Thu Jan 26, 2012 8:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thought you might like this? It's from a very old magazine and yours is the first surviving one I have seen.

mikeC

PostPosted: Thu Jan 26, 2012 9:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yup - that's the fella! Looks like a Model 14, rather than mine, which is a Model A, but basically the same thing.
They are pretty scarce in the UK - I have managed to trace three others so far...
mikeC

PostPosted: Thu Jan 26, 2012 10:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Rick wrote:
It'd be great to have a thread running on that MikeC!! Smile

R

Oh, all right then Very Happy

http://www.oldclassiccar.co.uk/forum/phpbb/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?t=11580
Ironhead

PostPosted: Sat Feb 04, 2012 5:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Churchill Johnson wrote:
Ironhead wrote:
i'm trying to source front brake shoes for my 1200 Herald to get it through the MOT.unobtainable say the TSSC Crying or Very sad
Try on e-bay they have two lots for sale for one put in E.B.C. , the shoes if you have 8" drums are the same as the Reliant rebel 64-68 600and700cc.
have now bought a set of shoes off that e-bay-er.thanks Churchill Very Happy
JohnDale

PostPosted: Sun Feb 05, 2012 5:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Steering box out of Zephyr,overhauled(parts from my friend in NZ), refitted & tested. Triumph treated to new set of coreplugs before anti-freezing - bigger job than it sounds as exhaust & inlet manifolds require removing for access plus dizzy from the other side - old ones not in too bad a condition but it's something I can now forget about,cheers,JD.
Mog

PostPosted: Mon Feb 06, 2012 11:02 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Richard H. try replacing the fan belt on your A35 [no] If there is a crack in it it will make a noise. If all else fails, try the cheapest solution !
MVPeters

PostPosted: Mon Feb 06, 2012 4:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Richard H

This is an odd one:
Check the V angle carefully on the belt - if it's not correct for the pulleys it 'snaps' out as it turns. The noise is horrific. Spray it with water & see if it changes.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Classic cars forum & vehicle restoration. Forum Index -> Classic & Vintage Cars, Lorries, Vans, Motorcycles etc - General Chat All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
Page 2 of 3

Jump to: