classic car forum header
Classic cars forum & vehicle restoration.
 FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 
Register     Posting Photographs     Privacy     F/book OCC Facebook     OCC on Patreon

Milestones Museum, Basingstoke
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Classic cars forum & vehicle restoration. Forum Index -> Classic & Vintage Cars, Lorries, Vans, Motorcycles etc - General Chat
Rob

PostPosted: Mon Jan 23, 2012 8:57 pm    Post subject: Milestones Museum, Basingstoke Reply with quote

Had a great trip to this museum at the weekend - unfortunately my camera batteries died on me so most of the photographs are of the Edwardian era vehicles which are of the most interest to me, but there's a very nice collection of commercial vehicles from the 1920's through to the 1960's which, although outside my normal scope of interest, were very interesting, especially the Thornycroft's.

There were only two drawbacks, personally, to the museum - first is lack of information on the vehicles, very very few had any information as to actually what they were, and most of those that did were because of makers plates visible, which I thought was rather strange for a place with such a large and interesting collection - the guide didn't have a listing of vehicles that I saw, and so most of the information I have on dates for the steam vehicles came from online sources. Second is the lighting - visibly it's fine but for photography not too great, which again is the same for every motor museum i've visited - flash doesn't work well at all and using handheld and hoping for the best didn't work too well, so I had to brace the camera against walls etc, although hopefully i'll return with full batteries and a tripod before too long

Late 19th century Lever Safety Bicycle replica, based on a Penny Farthing

1903 10hp Thornycroft in recreated Edwardian garage scene

Thornycroft Amazon RAF Coles Crane

Unknown Thornycroft Car (can anyone ID it? The list of surviving Thornycroft vehicles on the Hampshire Museums site isn't much help for this one)

1907 Thornycroft 30hp

Another unknown car - presumably Thornycroft as it's in the Thornycroft exhibit

1919 Thornycroft bus

1916 Thornycroft J type 3 ton army lorry

Portsmouth tram and Taskers portable engine

One of my favourite exhibits - a 1912 Wallis & Steevens steam lorry, what a beauty

1914 Taskers B2 'Little Giant'

Another favourite, I had no idea any of these still existed so was very excited to see this - a 1902 Thornycroft steam lorry

1918 Thornycroft X type

Wallis & Steevens factory front with 1928 'Simplicity' steam roller with angled boiler coming out of the front, inside is a 1930's diesel steam roller and the 1912 steam lorry shown above

1917 Taskers B2 'Little Giant' called Blossom

1923 Taskers 'Little Giant' steam roller

Overview of the two Taskers shown above

All in all a superb museum and a must visit in my opinion - the pub is brilliant too!

http://electric-edwardians.blogspot.com
Churchill Johnson

PostPosted: Mon Jan 23, 2012 11:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Strange that not much if any details on the car's as this museum has the thornycroft list of cars sold register.
Rob

PostPosted: Mon Jan 23, 2012 11:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes - the sales register doesn't list registrations to ID the cars, the list of surviving ones doesn't have any of the registrations of the two unknown ones. My best guess is that the two seater is one of the two 1908 four inch TT racing cars, and that the one with the streamlined radiator is the 1911 18hp P4 as listed here http://www3.hants.gov.uk/surviving-thornycroft-cars.pdf

http://electric-edwardians.blogspot.com
roverdriver

PostPosted: Tue Jan 24, 2012 9:28 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Given the circumstances, Rob, you have managed the photographs very well.
Thanks for posting them
Rick
Site Admin

PostPosted: Tue Jan 24, 2012 9:38 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well worth a visit by the looks of things, thanks for posting the photos Smile

R
OCC & classic car merchandise (Austin, Ford ++):
https://www.redbubble.com/people/OldClassicCar/shop
lowdrag

PostPosted: Tue Jan 24, 2012 1:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Brings back memories that does - the Portsmouth tram. it was like changing gear without using the clutch - the jerk you had to be prepared for as it accelerated. And then they stopped and got the big pole out to change lines. Ah, memories!
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Classic cars forum & vehicle restoration. Forum Index -> Classic & Vintage Cars, Lorries, Vans, Motorcycles etc - General Chat All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: