classic car forum header
Classic cars forum & vehicle restoration.
 FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 
Register     Posting Photographs     Privacy     F/book OCC Facebook     OCC on Patreon

New aussie Morris 8 owner
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Classic cars forum & vehicle restoration. Forum Index -> All our old cars, vans, lorries etc
hunsta

PostPosted: Sat Sep 14, 2013 6:06 am    Post subject: New aussie Morris 8 owner Reply with quote

Gday all. Just thought Id say hello. Ive just got my first car project. A 1948 Morris 8 sedan. And after years of building motorcycles some of my fellow motorcyclist say Ive gone to gone to the dark side. Then some of the car heads I know say Ive just gone mad.
Personally I think the car is great. As its my first car I was looking for an easy project. The car had previously had a new floor and paintwork done. The motor seems to run very smoothly as well. Basically what needs to be done is the brakes need to be bled and the interior upholstery and the glass and rubbers. The only painting that really needs doing is one guard (an unfortunate crape on a trailer a couple of years ago) and the boot lid. Although I am considering painting it in the colour scheme as the pic below. Then basically whatever it takes to pass a road worthy certificate.
I got quite a lot of extra stuff with the car, like spare gearbox. 2 steering columns. Steering wheel. Spare cross-member and spare windscreen. As well as all the patterns for the lining as well as a roll of material to do the job.
Im looking forward to getting the car on the road and having some fun cruising (albeit slowly) the back roads.
Id also like to say that I will be asking a lot of questions. And as this is my first car I may tend to ask questions that may raise the eyebrows of the more experienced members. So I hope I dont invoke any angry pitchfork an flaming torch mobs, wanting to burn me at the stake for asking sacrilegious questing.
Til then.
Cheers
Craig

And this will probably be the colour scheme as it will be the easiest to accomplish. (This is not my pic just an example)
TribalElder

PostPosted: Sat Sep 14, 2013 6:18 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Craig, welcome to the Forum. I live in Frankston Vic and have a 1946 Morris 8 Series E which I did up over the last couple of years.

This is mine.

We have quite a few Morris 8's in our Club, the Morris Car Club of Victoria, and plenty of events happening in this, the Centenary Year of the Morris. We have a run on this Sunday, Somerville to Hastings, Flinders, Red Hill and on to Arthurs Seat on the Mornington Peninsula Vic.

Look forward to seeing your car developing Smile

It's hard to run like an Emu
When you are girt by Numbats
hunsta

PostPosted: Sat Sep 14, 2013 6:36 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Gday Ian I have read most of your posts in the last week. You have a very nice car. I have to finish filling out my profile. Im in SEQld so I may not make your run area. Laughing
I was very interested in the electronic ignition convertion.
I think the Morris is a great car. We had a swap meet up here in Gympie today and a rubbers guy from brisbane says he can supply me with all the rubbers I need. So that is a great start. the funniest thing though was that I was walking through the meet when I bumped into a neighbor from down the road and he had a crank handle in his hand. I said "whats the crank handle for?" "Well I just bought an old Morris Traveller" he said Well my reply started with "well you wouldn't believe this but................." then we both burst out laughing.
This is going to be a fun build.
Cheers
Craig
TribalElder

PostPosted: Sat Sep 14, 2013 7:06 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sounds good to me. You will find plenty of Clubs up your way and they are a great way of picking up info, bits n pieces and most of all, the social side of things. I can send you the details of electronic ignition whenever you decide to go that way. Good luck and "Keep on Morrying"

Roger-hatchy

PostPosted: Sat Sep 14, 2013 7:30 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Very nice.
I like that cream and black, looks very bright.
hunsta

PostPosted: Sat Sep 14, 2013 7:49 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

TribalElder wrote:
Sounds good to me. You will find plenty of Clubs up your way and they are a great way of picking up info, bits n pieces and most of all, the social side of things. I can send you the details of electronic ignition whenever you decide to go that way. Good luck and "Keep on Morrying"

We have a vintage car club here in Gympie with a couple of Morris owners (met one today at the swap meet), so I will be joining them. As for the electronic ignition, I will give your ear a good chew when I get around to it. Ive been told by a few that its a simple process of taking the guts out of the old and popping in the new so to speak. However I will be the first to admit Im electrically backwards. Rolling Eyes Wires and sparks bewilder me. Embarassed
Yes Roger , colour scheme doesnt look to bad, and wont be as hot in the Queensland sun as a dark colour car.
Rick
Site Admin

PostPosted: Sat Sep 14, 2013 8:40 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Good to have you on board, nice car! You'll find quite a few Morris 8 owners dotted about the place.

RJ
OCC & classic car merchandise (Austin, Ford ++):
https://www.redbubble.com/people/OldClassicCar/shop
Penman

PostPosted: Sat Sep 14, 2013 3:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi
Isn't it strange how colours look different in different locations and on different cars?
That Cream would look totally out of place in he UK on that car, and yet it is eminentley suitable for others makes/models.

Any 2 from:-
Straight 6
V8 V10
TribalElder

PostPosted: Sat Sep 14, 2013 10:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Laurie from Queensland has a nice Morris 8 that he is doing up and he has gone with Cream and Maroon which looks really good.

This is his car...

Rosco663

PostPosted: Fri Dec 06, 2013 8:40 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Gidday Craig,

I can't believe I missed your original post until now Rolling Eyes

Welcome to the forum (belatedly), your E Series looks like a beauty, shouldn't take too much to get it back to tip top order. How is progress coming?

Your proposed colour scheme looks alright as well, very smart. Are you going to bring the original chrome bits back up to speed or stick with the painted finish.

Anyhow better crack on before the boss looks over my shoulder Cool

Cheers
hunsta

PostPosted: Sat Dec 07, 2013 1:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hey Rosco.
Thanks for the welcome. Car is coming along nicely. As you say, doesn't look like much to get it running on the road again, but all things take time in the land of Morris 8.
The previous owner said that all that was needed was the brakes to be bled and away she`d go. Well got underneath and found the king pins were very worn. So after a long process of trying to track down king pins, the getting the old ones out and then getting the bushes in I found that the beam axle was bent. Luckily I had a spare axle.
Once all the steering was spruced up and painted I started on the brakes. Wanted to flush the old fluid out first, but found I wasn't getting any happiness from the master cylinder. Removed that to find it was seized solid. Ive only just got a full master cylinder and wheel cylinder rubbers kit in the mail late this week. Hopefully have that done asap.
However in the interim in waiting for all my parts to turn up from the UK I noticed a fuel leak in the petrol tank. Turns out it was rotten with rust, so Ive made a new copy of the tank ,only this time its stainless steal. Just got to pressure test it for leaks and its good to go.
Hopefully Ive opened all the can of worms so far, but something tells me Ive got a long way to go.
Cheers
Craig
ps Ive watch your build so far. Hope it turns out good for you.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Classic cars forum & vehicle restoration. Forum Index -> All our old cars, vans, lorries etc All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: