classic car forum header
Classic cars forum & vehicle restoration.
 FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 
Register     Posting Photographs     Privacy     F/book OCC Facebook     OCC on Patreon

Where can I get a small header tank?
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Classic cars forum & vehicle restoration. Forum Index -> Classic & Vintage Cars, Lorries, Vans, Motorcycles etc - General Chat
3xpendable

PostPosted: Wed Feb 01, 2012 2:30 pm    Post subject: Where can I get a small header tank? Reply with quote

I've been doing some analysis and am basically not happy with the 'head' of water there is above the top of my Honda 250 kart, we found that last year if it lost the tiniest amount of water it would aerate then overheat so for this year I want to fix that. If possible I want to avoid the hassle of a 2nd radiator so was thinking of a bigger header tank just to hold a but more water higher up compared the the amount in the pipework there now.

My quyestion is, is there a suitable item out there for this such as a small tank for a bike etc? it would need 22mm hose connections. If not i'll put a 2nd radiator on instead but just thought i'd ask.
1980 Porsche 911 SC Targa (Uncle)
1971 MGB GT (V8 project) -SOLD 2016
2005 MINI Cooper S JCW - SOLD 2016
Roger-hatchy

PostPosted: Wed Feb 01, 2012 4:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Not sure if these can help.
Have a look through, I've used them for some time now.

http://www.cbsonline.co.uk/category/Header__Breather_and_Oil_Catch_Tanks,b.html

Roger
Penman

PostPosted: Wed Feb 01, 2012 5:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi
These have 1 1/4" fittings but it might be possible to get a copper reducing coupling.
http://www.merlinmotorsport.co.uk/p742/SWIRL-POT/HEADER-TANK-1:1/4-INLET/OUTLET/product_info.html

Would a water wetter (see the same catalogue) also help?

Any 2 from:-
Straight 6
V8 V10
Mog

PostPosted: Thu Feb 02, 2012 10:06 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I remember being told that some of the cars of the 1930's had over heating problems. The way to fix the problem was to make the header tank larger.
PAUL BEAUMONT

PostPosted: Thu Feb 02, 2012 1:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Not sure how big you mwant nor if you are thinking new or S/h, but I'm sure I recall that my BMC 1100 had a small remote header thank.

Paul
Jim.Walker

PostPosted: Sat Feb 04, 2012 10:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

PAUL BEAUMONT wrote:
Not sure how big you mwant nor if you are thinking new or S/h, but I'm sure I recall that my BMC 1100 had a small remote header thank.

Paul

So did (and do) many cars in the interests of a lower bonnet line. All that is required is a small bore hose from the existing overflow on a filler to the (expansion) tank. Which can be above or below the radiator header tank level. If a pressure cap is to be used it matters not whether it is on the radiator or the expansion tank.
Jim.
bob2

PostPosted: Mon Feb 06, 2012 9:04 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

when the pressure cap is on the radiator and the car only came with an overflow pipe which would throw the water out and on the street, where is the best place to place an expansion tank, below or above radiator level?
Thinking about my minis here!!

And sorry for the thread hijack !! Very Happy
Roger-hatchy

PostPosted: Mon Feb 06, 2012 10:44 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Bob
Before I had my radiator re-cored on the DLM I had the same problem.
Leaked out of the overflow, found this was a cap problem, now sorted with new seal.
till then I fitted an old one pint oil can down the side of the radiator as an expansion tank with the pipe just above the bottom of the bottle, on cooling the overflow syphoned back into the radiator.

Mine was, as said, at the side of the rad so the top was about half way up the water level.
In my opinion as long as it's not above the top of the radiator it will do it's job.

Someone on here will have a better technical explanation and theory
Mog

PostPosted: Mon Feb 06, 2012 10:49 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

It will not matter as long as the over flow pipe is below the water level. What happens is that as the engine heats up the water expands and is pushed into the tank. When the engine cools down the water is sucked back into the radiator . As per most modern cars.
Jim.Walker

PostPosted: Mon Feb 06, 2012 10:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Mog wrote:
It will not matter as long as the over flow pipe is below the water level. What happens is that as the engine heats up the water expands and is pushed into the tank. When the engine cools down the water is sucked back into the radiator . As per most modern cars.

This is perfectly true, but I would add a little. Leave expansion space for the coolant in the expansion tank.
For this to work, no airspace must be left in the radiator header tank - fill it to the brim.
As long as the expansion bottle can breath to the atmospere it will work perfectly whether the pressure cap (if fitted) is used on the radiator or expansion tank.
Having once had the pipe to the expansion tank (fiited with the pressure cap) on mine fail under pressure, with obvious problems, I now use the pressure cap on the radiator with a non-pressure cap on the expansion tank. Less chance of trouble!
Jim.
Mog

PostPosted: Tue Feb 07, 2012 7:53 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

You should always check that the pipe from the radiator to the expansion tank is in good condition. Most modern cars have a pvc piece of pipe, if this cracks, you can end up over heating the engine quickly. It cost me $2,500 to fix the cracked head on my modern. This was due to a relay failing on the fans.
bob2

PostPosted: Tue Feb 07, 2012 8:50 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've got one mini (the surf blue one) already fitted with such, its an old Dot3 hydraulic bottle fitted (actually just tied) to the bulkhead on the side of the radiator and it works fine, but I wanted to do something more appropriate on the green mini but have no space beside the radiator so was thinking of putting one on the bulkhead but by so doing the expansion bottle would be higher than the radiator and thought it wouldn't work!!
If you say it does I'll try it out then.
The pressure cap is fitted to the radiator and as Jim said, I fill the radiator to the top and put only a small amount in the expansion tank just the amount needed to cover the end of the overflow pipe!

Thanks gents!
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Classic cars forum & vehicle restoration. Forum Index -> Classic & Vintage Cars, Lorries, Vans, Motorcycles etc - General Chat All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: