classic car forum header
Classic cars forum & vehicle restoration.
 FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 
Register     Posting Photographs     Privacy     F/book OCC Facebook     OCC on Patreon

Dad's VDP in action
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Classic cars forum & vehicle restoration. Forum Index -> Classic & Vintage Cars, Lorries, Vans, Motorcycles etc - General Chat
Jim.Walker

PostPosted: Thu Feb 09, 2012 11:30 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The "killer" for these cars was the rear transverse box section carrying the rear suspension. I suspect almost every one except those accident damaged was scrapped because of dangerous corrosion of that box section.
Still one of my favourite drives long after its day!
Jim.
Julian

PostPosted: Thu Feb 09, 2012 1:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Jim.Walker wrote:
The "killer" for these cars was the rear transverse box section carrying the rear suspension. I suspect almost every one except those accident damaged was scrapped because of dangerous corrosion of that box section.
Still one of my favourite drives long after its day!
Jim.

Universally known as the 'rear sub frame.' Actually, as you say, they did rot but you could buy a pattern part (made by Saltofix?) to fairly inexpensively replace it.

I's say that in reality the car rotted from one end to another, sills, wings, floor etc. Drive one on a salty road and it would practically disintegrate in front of your eyes if you stood still and watched it. That said, all other cars, like the Viva, were much the same.....

Julian.
JC T ONE

PostPosted: Fri Feb 10, 2012 1:52 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Those 2 VDP are nice Cool never seen one in Denmark.

I remember a 1300GT that was parked under a tree, I should remove its engine, and when it was put on the lift, the whole rear suspension fell off.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Classic cars forum & vehicle restoration. Forum Index -> Classic & Vintage Cars, Lorries, Vans, Motorcycles etc - General Chat All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to: