classic car forum header
Classic cars forum & vehicle restoration.
 FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 
Register     Posting Photographs     Privacy     F/book OCC Facebook     OCC on Patreon

SORN rules?
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Classic cars forum & vehicle restoration. Forum Index -> Classic & Vintage Cars, Lorries, Vans, Motorcycles etc - General Chat
Bitumen Boy

PostPosted: Mon Feb 20, 2012 3:45 pm    Post subject: SORN rules? Reply with quote

Has anyone had any recent experience with declaring SORN? My insurance is due to expire in a week or so but the tax disc is good till July and I'm planning on laying the car up. I know you're supposed to declare SORN now - or get a big fine for being uninsured - but what's the procedure? I guess I have to surrender the tax disc, but do I need a form from the post office - can't use the tax reminder as of course haven't got one. Or can I do it online?

Remember when everything was nice and simple? Evil or Very Mad
Roger-hatchy

PostPosted: Mon Feb 20, 2012 5:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

This should help

http://www.direct.gov.uk/en/Motoring/OwningAVehicle/UntaxedVehicle/DG_4022058
Bitumen Boy

PostPosted: Mon Feb 20, 2012 10:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for that Roger, I've been going round in bloody circles looking for that. That Directgov website works about as well as the rest of the government... Laughing Laughing Laughing
Julian

PostPosted: Mon Feb 20, 2012 10:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Don't forget to send the old tax disc back for a refund, (unless it's nil value?) you can download the refund form, print it off and send it to Swansea - no need to go to a Post Office.

Julian.
RobMoore

PostPosted: Wed Feb 22, 2012 12:30 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

do it all online
https://www.taxdisc.direct.gov.uk/EvlPortalApp/app/sorn?execution=e1s1

PostPosted: Wed Feb 22, 2012 1:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Julian wrote:
Don't forget to send the old tax disc back for a refund, (unless it's nil value?) you can download the refund form, print it off and send it to Swansea - no need to go to a Post Office.

Julian.

Even if your tax disc is £nil duty paid you should still send it back to the DVLA if you take the car off the road - otherwise, under the continuous insurance regulations the car needs to be insured.
Riley Blue

PostPosted: Wed Feb 22, 2012 3:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Inglewood wrote:
Julian wrote:

Julian.

Even if your tax disc is £nil duty paid you should still send it back to the DVLA if you take the car off the road - otherwise, under the continuous insurance regulations the car needs to be insured.

My Riley is currently SORNed and it's also insured, I've too much invested in it to take any chances.
Julian

PostPosted: Wed Feb 22, 2012 3:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

riley541 wrote:
[My Riley is currently SORNed and it's also insured, I've too much invested in it to take any chances.

What's the theory behind that? If it's insured and 'historic' or nil tax you may as well keep it taxed - for that odd sunny day in winter Smile

Julian
Riley Blue

PostPosted: Wed Feb 22, 2012 4:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Julian wrote:
riley541 wrote:
[My Riley is currently SORNed and it's also insured, I've too much invested in it to take any chances.

What's the theory behind that? If it's insured and 'historic' or nil tax you may as well keep it taxed - for that odd sunny day in winter Smile

Julian

It's being restored and doesn't have a current MoT so taxing it will be a bit difficult. Its insurance (when on the road) costs less than £100 a year, not worth losing theft cover by cancelling it.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Classic cars forum & vehicle restoration. Forum Index -> Classic & Vintage Cars, Lorries, Vans, Motorcycles etc - General Chat All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: