classic car forum header
Classic cars forum & vehicle restoration.
 FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 
Register     Posting Photographs     Privacy     F/book OCC Facebook     OCC on Patreon

Any Ideas?
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Classic cars forum & vehicle restoration. Forum Index -> Classic & Vintage Cars, Lorries, Vans, Motorcycles etc - General Chat
mikeC

PostPosted: Wed Feb 22, 2012 4:20 pm    Post subject: Any Ideas? Reply with quote

I have this piece of trim which I cannot identify. It came with a load of old BMC stuff, and appears to have the remains of a BMC label attached, but it has got me baffled:

It is approx 11 inches long, 1.5 inches wide, and perhaps 3 inches at its deepest, a substantial casting, presumably brass, chrome plated, with a cast number 14B6749 on the inside. This looks like a BMC number to me, but I have been unable to find it in a number of catalogues...

It looks to me like a bumper over-rider, but it's a bit small for that. It appears to fit a pronounced curved line at the back, and has quite a sharp edge to what I assume is the front.

Suggestions, anyone?
MikeEdwards

PostPosted: Wed Feb 22, 2012 7:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Only thing I could find on eBay dated back to 2007: "AUSTIN NEW BMC UNKNOWN CHROME BUMPER OVER-RIDER-14B6749 " - unfortunately at that age there's no detailed information.

Might it be a quarter-bumper?
mikeC

PostPosted: Wed Feb 22, 2012 10:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Could be, but I cannot think of a BMC car that has quarter bumpers. The part number suggests 1950s - 1960s...
The curved cut-out looks to me like it fits over the bumper, but I could be quite wrong Question
MVPeters

PostPosted: Wed Feb 22, 2012 11:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Vanden-Plas?
Big Wolseley?
poodge

PostPosted: Thu Feb 23, 2012 12:15 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

It seems rather long for an overrider.I'm more inclined towards some sort of grille divider.The screw supports at the back could be to fit the actual grille bars.But I can't offhand think of any BMC model with such a part fitted.
Is it possible it's off a truck?
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Classic cars forum & vehicle restoration. Forum Index -> Classic & Vintage Cars, Lorries, Vans, Motorcycles etc - General Chat All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: