classic car forum header
Classic cars forum & vehicle restoration.
 FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 
Register     Posting Photographs     Privacy     F/book OCC Facebook     OCC on Patreon

Help/advice Needed please
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Classic cars forum & vehicle restoration. Forum Index -> Classic & Vintage Cars, Lorries, Vans, Motorcycles etc - General Chat
TopCat327

PostPosted: Wed Mar 07, 2012 3:19 pm    Post subject: Help/advice Needed please Reply with quote

Hello i have a 1962 Austin A40 and want to upgrade the starter motor and Aultanater to help her start on cold days but cant seem to find any upgrades on ebay or anywhere
now i have herd from someone that Austin Mini parts fit on the engine its only the gearbox that differs is this true??
thankyou for your time Wink
baconsdozen

PostPosted: Wed Mar 07, 2012 3:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

With a decent battery and the starter motor brushes etc in good oreder you should find an A series engine will start in the coldest weather the English climate can provide.
I'd be inclined to spand money on getting the original equipment up to scratch rather than modifying anything, other than maybe fitting electronic ignition.
TopCat327

PostPosted: Wed Mar 07, 2012 4:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

yahh true but with the alutnator its not going to push out enough power with the extras im having like spotlights inside lights cd player + speakers
and heater its all gonna run the battery down

please note i am 18 and all the parts i take off to upgrade im keeping to put back on at a later date Smile
Not gonna ave flashy Alloys
Not gonna have window tint
Not gonna have big chavy exhaust
Not gonna have bucket seats
Not gonna have chavy decals
Not gonna have flashy neon lights
i love classic cars and im gonna keep it that way
Rick
Site Admin

PostPosted: Wed Mar 07, 2012 4:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'd have thought an alternator conversion would be reasonably straightforward. Saying that, I ran my 1960 A40 for years with the standard setup and had no problems with it starting, and I had a tape player Smile plus spotlight on it too. So long as it's all in good nick, it should be fine.

The starting handle will always get you out of trouble if the batt does run down!

RJ
OCC & classic car merchandise (Austin, Ford ++):
https://www.redbubble.com/people/OldClassicCar/shop
TopCat327

PostPosted: Wed Mar 07, 2012 7:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

yahh it is a very straight forward job is it the same engine as the mini?
like will the SU's or weber's fit
or a austin mini starter motor
or stage1 manifold (with some cutting and welding to the downpipe exit point to face it to the rear of the car Razz
Julian

PostPosted: Wed Mar 07, 2012 8:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Have a look here:

http://shop1.actinicexpress.co.uk/shops/Rat_Sport/index.php?cat=Dynator

Upgrade to a Lucas C40L dynamo and you get 20 amps. That's quite a bit and enough to run what you propose maybe? The Lucas 15ACR would be the normal alternator on a vehicle like yours at 28amps, or a 17ACR at 38 amps would be better.

The only real problem with a dynamo is a lack of charge when the engine is idling - this is just down to pulley sizing as a pulley size that allowed a charge at idle would make the thing turn too fast at max revs.

Like others have suggested, sort out the dynamo, regulator, battery and all the normal forgotten things like engine earth points etc and you'll have no problems.
Rick
Site Admin

PostPosted: Wed Mar 07, 2012 9:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

TopCat327 wrote:
yahh it is a very straight forward job is it the same engine as the mini?
like will the SU's or weber's fit
or a austin mini starter motor
or stage1 manifold (with some cutting and welding to the downpipe exit point to face it to the rear of the car Razz

Well, the Mini and A40 Farina are both powered by the A Series engine (albeit different capacities), although in the Mini it's mounted crossways, with the carb and manifolding against the bulkhead, whereas in the A40 (and A30, A35, Sprite, Morris Minor and so on) the engine is mounted longitudinally, with the manifolds down one side (and much easier to get at).

Easiest is to source tuning bits from an Austin Healey Sprite, or a modified A35/Minor. SU carbs can be found easily (single or twin), as can tubular manifolds. Mini manifolds will point the wrong way for an A40 as the carb is up against the bulkhead, so seek out bits from a car that has the engine located in the same orientation (there are plenty about and much easier than hacking up a Mini one).

If you really want to get into tuning the engine (rather than just bolting bits on), there are some good A Series books about (David Vizard's is one to look out for). A single 1.25" SU can often be a better bet than twin SUs if I remember right, that's what I had on mine, along with a cylinder head from an MG 1100 (bigger valves).

hth, RJ
TopCat327

PostPosted: Thu Mar 08, 2012 1:30 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

thankyou this has helped alot now i have a different problem
Embarassed which is both hinges on my top tailgate have snapped and i cant find any on line to replace them with Rolling Eyes
do you lot have any ideas
Rick
Site Admin

PostPosted: Thu Mar 08, 2012 8:46 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Have you joined the A40 owners' club yet? I remember that being a useful group to be with when it comes to obscure bits and pieces.

(I take it the guy on ebay with the tailgate doesn't have any hinges?)

RJ
TopCat327

PostPosted: Thu Mar 08, 2012 10:44 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

naaa he dont Crying or Very sad and at the moment i cant afford the membership price of £15.00 for the a40 forum i know its just £15.00 but for what it is and my lack of income ta the moment Crying or Very sad
Richard H

PostPosted: Thu Mar 08, 2012 12:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hello mate, welcome from another young Austin enthusiast Smile I'm 21 but was 15 when I got my first A35. An alternator is a good modification, you can get one off any Mini or Metro, with that fitted you should be able to power pretty much anything! I wouldn't worry about changing the starter, it should be more than up to the job.

I'd like to fit a discreet sound system to my A55 as well, I'm thinking of buying one of those period radios on Ebay with an MP3 attached. I've got a small sub as well, just got to find someone who will fit it for me. (I'm happy to shape metal and weld but car electrics defeat me).

ESM Morris Minors are good for parts, also I'd join the A30-35 club forum as there's a whole section on tuning. Lastly where in the country are you?

Richard Smile
TopCat327

PostPosted: Thu Mar 08, 2012 12:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

yahh it defeats me too Smile give me a carb over an ECU anyday
that's what i want to a nice little sound system but the problem im thinking is Sound Proofing as i don't know about yours but mine is quit loud and could
so im thinking about wiring up some plug in heaters to a switch
im in Lyndhurst SOUTHAMPTON (Hampshire)
TopCat327

PostPosted: Thu Mar 08, 2012 1:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

and what does the running gear come off on the a40 a
morris minor??
Bitumen Boy

PostPosted: Thu Mar 08, 2012 4:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Regarding the electrics, I think an alternator conversion would be a good move - a modern (OK modern-ish) CD player will most likely draw rather more current than a cassette unit ever would. I used to have no problems with my Herald driving on nasty wet nights with a cassette player, but nowadays the dynamo - which is working OK - struggles with CD, headlights and heater, never mind the wipers.

If you're not using your car most days one of those battery conditioner widgets might be a good investment - I mean one of the ones you can leave connected all the time, that work on a trickle charge/slow discharge cycle (but always leave enough juice to start the engine). Mine didn't cost much and a cheapy 2-year battery from the local factors has lasted 6 years so far... Very Happy
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Classic cars forum & vehicle restoration. Forum Index -> Classic & Vintage Cars, Lorries, Vans, Motorcycles etc - General Chat All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: