classic car forum header
Classic cars forum & vehicle restoration.
 FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 
Register     Posting Photographs     Privacy     F/book OCC Facebook     OCC on Patreon

Removal of gear leaver and gearbox oilMorris 8 Series E 1948
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Classic cars forum & vehicle restoration. Forum Index -> All our old cars, vans, lorries etc
Stuart2u

PostPosted: Mon Nov 12, 2012 12:58 pm    Post subject: Removal of gear leaver and gearbox oilMorris 8 Series E 1948 Reply with quote

Hi

I wish to remove the gear lever in order to make the removal of the steel floor panel easier. (The floor can be removed with the lever in place , but the front seats need removing and the lever gets scratched as its forced through the floor)

I get as far as removing the top cover (containing the felt washer) which is fastened with a screw. No problems so far, on other vehicles with this removed the lever can be lifted from the selector fork. Not on this though. On the exploded drawing there appears to be something described as a 'snug' which might somehow be locating the lever in place. Is this the case? and if so how is it removed please?

Also, I read another topic about oil leaking from the gearbox drain hole at the front of the gearbox casing. I have this problem, and its a lot of oil, by that I mean I can live with drips and drops from these vehicles, but a small puddle is not livable with. I assumed that there would be an oil seal at the front of the drive shaft that could be replaced without stripping the box down too far after removal. I tried my usual supplier of parts and was advised that wasn't the case and that these boxes usually leaked through over filling........well, its not over filled, its upto the mark or slightly lower and it leaks out even after the initial flow of hot oil after a run. In fact it leaks out (less) stone cold on a daily basis when the car hasn't moved.

So what is the situation with the front seal.....the drawings tell me there is one.......but what sort of a job would it be to replace if I can get hold of the seal and on that point, where do I get such seals from?, or do I live with it. I have even rigged up a drain tube arrangement to a container beneath the car which solves the drips and the hassle of stained drive ways and garage floors.....Heath Robinson I know but saves a lot of arguments with 'her in doors'.

Stuart
ukdave2002

PostPosted: Mon Nov 12, 2012 1:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Stuart

I have rebuilt a couple of these box's, here is a Link with some more detail that may help you.

To remove the gear lever, the gearbox top cover must be removed, a simple job but check that the selector springs don't get dragged out with the cover, if they do simply put them back, but it's easy to not spot they have come out and then they get lost.

The gearbox relies on scrolls on the input and output shaft to throw oil back into the box, so whilst you are reversing they throw oil out! Shocked or would if there was any speed and distance. The rear also has a felt washer, these have a habit of disintegrating so don't be surprised if its not there.

If you follow the link above I describe how I fitted modern lip seals to the front and rear; its not too difficult but does require a lathe.

Cheers

Dave
Stuart2u

PostPosted: Tue Nov 13, 2012 9:44 am    Post subject: Thank you Reply with quote

Thanks very much for your advice.......Afraid I have no access to any engineering equipment to enable me to manufacture a replacement bearing seal as you have done. I will have to find another way around this problem.

As for the work you have done on your Morris.....WOW! It looks fantastic, you must be so chuffed with how its gone.

Thanks again.

Stuart
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Classic cars forum & vehicle restoration. Forum Index -> All our old cars, vans, lorries etc All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: