classic car forum header
Classic cars forum & vehicle restoration.
 FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 
Register     Posting Photographs     Privacy     F/book OCC Facebook     OCC on Patreon

Car filler,sell by dates etc.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Classic cars forum & vehicle restoration. Forum Index -> Bodywork & Paint Restoration
baconsdozen

PostPosted: Tue May 08, 2012 8:33 am    Post subject: Car filler,sell by dates etc. Reply with quote

Couple of questions.
I've been offered a load of unopened tins of filler.Most are by Upol (I might have remembered the name wrong) and are from a place that closed down around six years ago.
Are they likely to be still usable ?.
Phil - Nottingham

PostPosted: Tue May 08, 2012 6:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Depends how it been stored - if too warm then it will thicken up. Otherwise easily good for 10 years + as UPOL is 1st quality
Land Rover S2 & S3
Morris Mini Traveller Mk2
baconsdozen

PostPosted: Wed May 09, 2012 11:15 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've put in an offer for the lot,just have to see if it's accepted.
Thanks for the answer Phil,I've never used Upol but apparently is a pretty good filler.
Julian

PostPosted: Wed May 09, 2012 11:22 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Upol lasts for years. It's just resin with filler powder stirred in.

I've had some for about 5 years and all that happens over a very long time is that the heavier filler material gravitates to the bottom and you get a thinner 'mix' towards the top.

Sometimes I find the less viscous stuff better for small pin-holes etc, otherwise I just stir it up a bit.

If you have thick stuff at the bottom that's a little too firm to work nicely then a few spoonfuls of fibreglass resin stirred in restores it perfectly!

Julian.
welshrover

PostPosted: Wed May 09, 2012 6:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

ive just repaired the bonnet on the wifes hillman yesterday. the filler i used is about 15 years old, its called stevens proffesional filler .i just poured some linseed oil in it and give it a good stir. good as new. bonnet fixed and primed, just waiting for top coat Surprised
Julian

PostPosted: Wed May 09, 2012 7:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

welshrover wrote:
.i just poured some linseed oil in it o

I reckon that will end in tears. I can't see how linseed oil will react with the hardener catalyst (cyanacylate?) and go solid. It will be there beneath the paint and will bleed through (probably in about 6 months time) and mark the paint finish.

Julian.
welshrover

PostPosted: Wed May 09, 2012 10:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

not a problem at all,i did the same thing years ago actually it was the same tub of filler ,one of those big 3.5 litre jobs ,when i repaired a door on my old dears car, a white mk 2 fiesta, repainted it and the door was still white 5 years later when she sold it. i was told this trick by a mate of my late grandfathers who was a painter on the potteries motor transport division in stoke.ps it has got to be boiled linseed oil.
Julian

PostPosted: Thu May 10, 2012 7:47 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

welshrover wrote:
not a problem at all,i did the same thing years ago actually it was the same tub of filler ,one of those big 3.5 litre jobs ,when i repaired a door on my old dears car, a white mk 2 fiesta, repainted it and the door was still white 5 years later when she sold it. i was told this trick by a mate of my late grandfathers who was a painter on the potteries motor transport division in stoke.ps it has got to be boiled linseed oil.

I think I can say a little more here. As I understand it, before 'modern' fillers they used boiled linseed and whiting to make a putty to do the job - hence, I expect, the relevance of your late grandfather. Modern filler is polyester resin based and needs a catalyst (hardener) to cure. Mixing the two liquids, I would say, is daft. I guess you've got away with it so far, but paint is a funny stuff and it wouldn't surprise me if you started to get little pinholes or imperfections in the paint in years to come as the volatile components of the linseed try to escape.

I suspect polyester resin is cheaper than linseed anyway!

Julian.
baconsdozen

PostPosted: Thu May 10, 2012 9:50 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I remember a mate filling a rotten wing on an A40 with plaster of paris and painting it with emulsion.He spent hours doing it but it fell out after a few days.
Julian

PostPosted: Thu May 10, 2012 4:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

baconsdozen wrote:
I remember a mate filling a rotten wing on an A40 with plaster of paris and painting it with emulsion.He spent hours doing it but it fell out after a few days.

I've seen paper mache used!

Julian.
dingal2000

PostPosted: Wed May 16, 2012 8:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

U-POL is one of the worlds leading makers of fillers etc, and have an extensive range. if you are wondering how long a product will last , drop them a email from there site http://www.u-pol.com/ they will answer but might take a few days. friendly customer services
ukdave2002

PostPosted: Tue Jun 05, 2012 8:29 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

If its Upol "Easy" I'd think it would be fine, Upol "Top Stop Gold" tends to drag a tad when its old (by old I mean a tin that had been previously opened & 6 months old) , which you don't want when applying thin skims.
I have a tin of easy that was first opened 2 years ago and its still fine.

Dave
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Classic cars forum & vehicle restoration. Forum Index -> Bodywork & Paint Restoration All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: