classic car forum header
Classic cars forum & vehicle restoration.
 FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 
Register     Posting Photographs     Privacy     F/book OCC Facebook     OCC on Patreon

Morris Z Van
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Classic cars forum & vehicle restoration. Forum Index -> All our old cars, vans, lorries etc
Dave King

PostPosted: Tue Aug 07, 2012 11:49 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for the pic, Dave. I'll see if I can find the holes that line up!
JC T ONE

PostPosted: Tue Aug 07, 2012 12:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

ukdave2002 wrote:

At some point in its life someone added rear windows:

Plan is to return it to a GPO Telephone Engineering van...so the windows had to go Wink , I was concerned about welding in metal, given the size and possible distortion, so for the first time used a 3M vehicle panel adhesive, this stuff is used by manufactures and in body shops to replace non structural spot welding.

Dave

Looking good Cool

many Mini vans here in Denmark, had the sides cut open, and windows fitted.

I used a Epoxy product from Kent Automotive on my wheel arches.

keep posting pictures .

Jens Christian
ukdave2002

PostPosted: Sat Aug 25, 2012 6:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

This will make you chuckle...

I painted the van side's ( where the rear windows had been fitted) I had the van on the drive and was cutting the new paint. A chap came up the drive and asked me what the "Wonder Product" paint restorer was Smile Laughing Laughing

On a more serious note , I did a 50 mile round trip in the van today Very Happy , after about 12 miles going up a long slight hill the old girl was struggling, this surprised me as the engine is very lively...Pulled into a lay-by put my foot on the brake pedal and it was as solid as a rock Shocked as as soon as I took my foot off the accelerator the van slowed down very quickly...the brakes were dragging.

Out of the van and all 4 drums are stinking hot, so I slackened of a brake union and the pedal went back to normal. Gave the brakes 20 mins to cool down and all was back to normal.

Now the brake master cylinder on the 8's has a valve cup and washer, that I think (please correct me here) is designed to keep a bit of pressure in the system, a safety device in the event of main seal failure? I suspect that this is not allowing fluid back efficiently,the seals are all new, look fine and fitted correctly. Got home removed the valve cup and washer, brakes work fine, put it back and if the brakes are used frequently they begin to drag.

Any idea's ?

Dave

Last edited by ukdave2002 on Sat Aug 25, 2012 6:45 pm; edited 1 time in total
Rick
Site Admin

PostPosted: Sat Aug 25, 2012 6:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Can't help with the brake problem, but when we went to visit a nostalgia museum during the week, there's a Z van parked on the pavement outside looking a little sorry for itself. I did take some pics, but I've yet to get them downloaded.

RJ
OCC & classic car merchandise (Austin, Ford ++):
https://www.redbubble.com/people/OldClassicCar/shop
norustplease

PostPosted: Sat Aug 25, 2012 8:41 pm    Post subject: Residual pressure in brakes. Reply with quote

There should be no residual pressure in the system.
In the Morris braking systems of this period, when the system is at rest there is a bypass in front of the main seal cup, linked with the pipe to the reservoir. This not only allows the supply reservoir to top up the system, it also allows the system pressures to equalise, and counters the effects of expansion and contraction of the fluid as the system heats and cools.
If the pedal linkage is incorrectly adjusted with the wrong amount of free play, or the rubbers swell, or are incorrectly fitted, the main seal can obstruct the bypass, then residual pressure in the system can't release properly and the brakes remain partially on. Repeated operation of the brakes will also keep pumping up this residual pressure and this probably gets worse and worse as everything heats up with all the additional friction and the fluid in the system expands.

Check the free play at your pedal, if your rubber seals are in decent condition.
Boring Tucson SUV
RotaryBri

PostPosted: Sun Aug 26, 2012 12:50 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Rick wrote:
Can't help with the brake problem, but when we went to visit a nostalgia museum during the week, there's a Z van parked on the pavement outside looking a little sorry for itself. I did take some pics, but I've yet to get them downloaded.

RJ

Would that be The Land of Lost Content museum in Craven Arms?

If so is it worth a visit?

RotaryBri

1976 NSU Ro80
Rick
Site Admin

PostPosted: Sun Aug 26, 2012 8:03 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

RotaryBri wrote:
Rick wrote:

RJ

Would that be The Land of Lost Content museum in Craven Arms?

If so is it worth a visit?

Hi Rotary,

Yes, and yes.

The contents are well packed in (understatement!) but it's very interesting, there is a section for motoring too. Just don't go expecting to be able to get close to everything, it could easily fill a building twice the size Smile I'll post up some photos shortly (plus one of an Ro80 I spotted in Wales looking a little faded).

RJ
OCC & classic car merchandise (Austin, Ford ++):
https://www.redbubble.com/people/OldClassicCar/shop
ukdave2002

PostPosted: Sat May 03, 2014 5:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thought I'd post an update on the Z van as its had a busy day Smile

Firstly the panels I glued in are failing Sad the outline of all 4 side window apertures are becoming visible.

I plan to knock the out and weld them back in, don't know why the glue failed, its the same stuff that body shops use up and down the country, possibly I didn't have the joints clean enough, I don't know, but shall resort to more traditional methods of jointing metal Smile

Last year the van started to play up; it would just randomly cut out Shocked problem turned out to be failed insulation on the wiring to the coil within the SU fuel pump!

With the fuel pump insulation fixed, today the van was put into good use, completing 6 x 10 mile round trips to the tip, taking stuff from the kitchen we demolished 6 months ago, and it didn't miss a beat Smile as per the rules in Cheshire I had my permits for using a van at the tip, but the operators only asked for one on my 4th visit Smile

The plan is to complete more of a rolling restoration, the front wings are shot , so I will adapt some SE wings, all the doors require repairs at the bottom, as they are very flat square panels so should be relatively straight forward to form some repair panels.

The chassis and mechanical bits are all very good, as is the woodwork, the fabric roof would benefit from a recover and I'll put a new wiring loom in , so I think a running restoration is practical ?

Dave
D4B

PostPosted: Sun May 04, 2014 10:39 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Great to hear your van is being put to good use, and I would agree that a rolling restoration is the way to go, as you will get to iron out any niggles before it's all shiny.... Cool
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Classic cars forum & vehicle restoration. Forum Index -> All our old cars, vans, lorries etc All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to: