classic car forum header
Classic cars forum & vehicle restoration.
 FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 
Register     Posting Photographs     Privacy     F/book OCC Facebook     OCC on Patreon

Morris 8 series E 1946
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Classic cars forum & vehicle restoration. Forum Index -> All our old cars, vans, lorries etc
henrivds

PostPosted: Thu Aug 11, 2011 3:08 pm    Post subject: Morris 8 series E 1946 Reply with quote

Hi there, I am new to the Old Classic Car forum so thought I would set out my stall. Some time ago I acquired a 1946 Morris 8 series E and am very keen to link up with other owners. My little Morris (Maurice) runs like a dream has practically no rust and is waiting patiently on me to begin restoration work on the interior. I have an old coachtrimming contact from many years ago who will recover the seats completely, but I am trying to source weatherseals for around the doors especially drivers and also, weatherseals for the drop glass on the doors - any advice very welcome.

For my sins I have a lifetime of engineering experience on old cars from the 40's onwards, having restored more than I can remember. I will keep an eye on the forum and chip in anywhere I can.

PS when I first visited I was reading comments on thermosyphoning and can concur with the advise being given - I (rather Maurice) had an overheating problem and believe I have resolved by rigorous back and forward flushing. For the benefit of anyone not familiar, remove the bottom hose and put the garden hose into the bottom of the rad - turn water on full and wait for the water to come out of the engine block clean. Reverse the direction and repeat this a few times - then replace and top up with a good antifreeze with inhibitor to stop the rust returning - probably ok to use Fernox but best to top up with antifreeze in the winter - the Fernox will have coated the internals of the block by this stage
Rick
Site Admin

PostPosted: Thu Oct 13, 2011 8:01 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi henrivds,

I missed your post somehow, welcome to the forum, do you have any photos to hand of the Morris? there are a few owners of 8s on here as you may have noticed Smile

RJ
OCC & classic car merchandise (Austin, Ford ++):
https://www.redbubble.com/people/OldClassicCar/shop
roverdriver

PostPosted: Thu Oct 13, 2011 8:46 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes please, some photos please!

I had a 1939 series E, many years ago, and had some interesting adventures touring with it.
ukdave2002

PostPosted: Tue Oct 25, 2011 9:27 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi henrivids

Only just spotted this post... I am (slowly!!) restoring a 1939 Morris 8 SE... details here:

http://www.oldclassiccar.co.uk/forum/phpbb/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?t=5790
TribalElder

PostPosted: Mon Oct 01, 2012 2:46 pm    Post subject: Thermosyphon Reply with quote

I have a 1946 Morris 8 Ser, E too and it gets quite hot here where in summer the temp can rise to 45 degrees Celsius (I think that is around 110 F in the old system) I have found that the car runs best and coolest with an overflow tank fitted. Tried various tanks and an old Renault one that feeds the overflow into the bottom has turned out to be the best for my car. I leave the radiator down 25mm and use a good quality coolant/rust inhibitor of the fluoro green type. I am thinking also of fitting an electric radiator fan sometime in the future, although that will require a step-up transformer of suitable robustness to eek 12v out of the 6v system. It is really only required when driving through Melbourne with all the stop/start traffic. Out in the country I can drive for hundreds of k's without any heating problems.

Ian from Oz
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Classic cars forum & vehicle restoration. Forum Index -> All our old cars, vans, lorries etc All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: