classic car forum header
Classic cars forum & vehicle restoration.
 FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 
Register     Posting Photographs     Privacy     F/book OCC Facebook     OCC on Patreon

insulation behind headlining?
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Classic cars forum & vehicle restoration. Forum Index -> General Restoration Advice
WOODY2

PostPosted: Thu Aug 09, 2012 10:21 pm    Post subject: insulation behind headlining? Reply with quote

just about to order insulation for my 1951 Simca and was wondering if insulation behind the headlining would be a good idea?The car has no heating so wont be used much in winter,so would insulation make it too hot in summer ,any thoughts in general about insulation-under carpet and bulkhead.Also,how do I carpet into the rear footwells?Cheers
traction39

PostPosted: Fri Aug 10, 2012 10:06 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I would go with insulation everywhere you can. This will act as a sound proofing as well. Use a high temp contact adhesive for sticking under the headlining. Woolies have plenty of products. Proper sound proofing material is expensive...your choice... Very Happy
To carpet into the footwell make a template..do it in vertical and horizontal sections...not out of one piece unless you like origami Confused
Inglewood

PostPosted: Fri Aug 10, 2012 6:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Depends on the airspace above the headlining. As a minimum, try self adhesive anti-drum pads available from motor factors. If there is air space above the headlining a wool based insulator could be fitted but they are known to de-construct and than lay on the headlining causing the lining to sag.
WOODY2

PostPosted: Fri Aug 10, 2012 9:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks,I got some lightweight insulation from carinsulation.com for the roof and I will probably stick it on in a few places to avoid sagging.When you say Woolies do you mean Woolworths?I thought they were all gone.
How do I finish the top corners of the footwells?I've seen some that seem to be sort of melted?to seal the edge.
Roger-hatchy

PostPosted: Sat Aug 11, 2012 7:18 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Woolies trim

Very helpfull people

http://www.woolies-trim.co.uk/DEFAULT.ASPX
WOODY2

PostPosted: Sat Aug 11, 2012 8:40 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks,Woolies looks very interesting,authentic and top quality.I might get some interior trim from them.I think carinsulation.com are a bit cheaper for insulation though.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Classic cars forum & vehicle restoration. Forum Index -> General Restoration Advice All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: