classic car forum header
Classic cars forum & vehicle restoration.
 FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 
Register     Posting Photographs     Privacy     F/book OCC Facebook     OCC on Patreon

S1 eight petrol cap
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Classic cars forum & vehicle restoration. Forum Index -> All our old cars, vans, lorries etc
MattF

PostPosted: Sat Dec 07, 2013 4:31 am    Post subject: S1 eight petrol cap Reply with quote

Hi guys is anyone able to send me pics of an original S1 petrol cap?? or...and i ask this knowing the answer will be no...but has anyone got a spare one they would be willing to sell? im also after one of the air silencers fitted to export models but again am not holding me breath...
bjacko

PostPosted: Wed Dec 18, 2013 5:27 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I believe you can buy a new repro cap from Ian Harris ian@harris84.fsnet.co.uk
MattF

PostPosted: Fri Dec 20, 2013 9:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks bjacko, ians out atm but tryng to get more made Smile
goneps

PostPosted: Tue Dec 24, 2013 11:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Matt,

Do you still need a photo?

Air silencers were fitted to all cars from chassis no. 105720, and also 105266 to 105500—not just export models. Ideally you'll also need the correct nearside wing with recess for clearance around the elbow, adjacent to the carb. You might get away without with recessed wing, but the clearance will be the sort normally measured with a feeler gauge (not a huge problem since the engine moves but little on its rubber mountings).

Keep in mind that it is only a silencer, it does not act as a filter, so there's little point in fitting one unless it was there originally. It just adds to the under-bonnet clutter and makes access more difficult.

Richard
MattF

PostPosted: Fri Jan 03, 2014 1:57 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Richard, thanks but have found out one of the other guys in my club is half way through making one so i think he is going to give me a hand. I know they are just a silencer but as mine did once have one i think it would look nicer to put one back on Smile an planing on putting a filter on the end of the silencer, few guys on our xmas rally have done that and it works quite well
goneps

PostPosted: Fri Jan 03, 2014 2:09 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Matt,

Fair enough, though if I were making a silencer from scratch I'd incorporate the filter into the cylindrical housing so as not to spoil the appearance. Still, not everyone's such a pernickety old so-and-so.

How are you getting on with the petrol cap?

Richard
MattF

PostPosted: Fri Jan 03, 2014 2:31 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Now theres an idea.......will put my head together with a couple of the older boys next club night, couldn't be to hard Wink
As for the petrol cap i managed to find an old cap the right size but with the internal spring steel bit to small so took that out and put in one from a cap that was way to but but the inside part was right, SORTED!! Very Happy
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Classic cars forum & vehicle restoration. Forum Index -> All our old cars, vans, lorries etc All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: