classic car forum header
Classic cars forum & vehicle restoration.
 FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 
Register     Posting Photographs     Privacy     F/book OCC Facebook     OCC on Patreon

My Morris 8 Ser.E Saloon (Australia)
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Classic cars forum & vehicle restoration. Forum Index -> All our old cars, vans, lorries etc
TribalElder

PostPosted: Mon Oct 01, 2012 1:43 pm    Post subject: My Morris 8 Ser.E Saloon (Australia) Reply with quote

Hello Folks, Ian from Frankston Vic Australia. Just joined after being a guest for many months, checking things out. Thought I would quit lurking in the shadows and also present "Laury the Morry" to you.

My car has not been restored but is in very good nick for 66 years old. I have done up the engine, gearbox, diff, brakes, axles, shockers and had the tailshaft balanced, all this year. Managed to get new pistons, rings, bearings, conrods etc for engine and new diff (3.9) so foraging has been very succesful over the last 12 months.

I take my car out most weekends for little drives of 100-200 k's and also go to any Morris outings organised by Morris Car Club of Victoria and other Morris Clubs.

Going to the big 100 years of the Morris Rally in Canberra early 2013, a distance of 676 kilometres from home. Really looking forward to that Rally and currently preparing to make a towbar to drag along an old 1956 VW Trailorette with my camping gear.

Will now attempt to put up some pics of "Laury"...

Ian Frankston Vic 3199 Australia
Rick
Site Admin

PostPosted: Mon Oct 01, 2012 1:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Welcome to the forum! fab Morris you have there, in the UK a trip of 100-200 kilometres (whatever they are Wink) would be considered an epic trip Smile

RJ
OCC & classic car merchandise (Austin, Ford ++):
https://www.redbubble.com/people/OldClassicCar/shop
TribalElder

PostPosted: Mon Oct 01, 2012 2:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Underneath the Club Permit plates are the original 1946 number plates. The Club Permit scheme in Victoria is brilliant! Nominal registration/3rd party insurance of $126/year and you can drive the car anywhere for any reason on 90 days of your choice Very Happy

Still running the original 6v electrics and the fuses (I have been told) are the original ones with a little bit of paper inside the glass tubes!

Pic of engine after rebuild. Sorry about the mess, had just got back from trip to the farm when I took this pic. I have an aluminium head that I am thinking of using as I believe it will allow for better heat dispersion. Any thoughts on that subject? Not having a water pump on a car in Oz in summer is a bit of a challenge.

Ian from Oz
TribalElder

PostPosted: Mon Oct 01, 2012 2:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Rick wrote:
Welcome to the forum! fab Morris you have there, in the UK a trip of 100-200 kilometres (whatever they are Wink) would be considered an epic trip Smile

RJ

Thankyou for the Welcome RJ. We do travel a lot here. 2 months ago I did a round trip up to Brisbane to pick up my Swordfish boat and tow it back to Frankston. Distance 3801 k's. Left Wednesday morning and was home again Friday night!

Pic of Swordfish and some of my cars...

Ian from Oz
TribalElder

PostPosted: Mon Oct 01, 2012 3:04 pm    Post subject: Things to do Reply with quote

Next thing to do is the rubbers around the glass and the bailey channels, then the front seats. I have already obtained drivers seat and now looking to have passenger seat repaired, really only needs re-stuffing. The (new to me) drivers seat looks the same as the rest of the seats so I was very happy to secure it as I don't want anything newer than 1948 fitted. Would rather "Laury" retains his "Mature, lived in status" than bring him up to new. Just bought an original but new (still in box) ammeter to fit in the bottom of the instrument binnacle, which currently has a paper picture of the gear selection pattern as per original delivery.

It's hard to run like an Emu
When you are girt by Numbats
TribalElder

PostPosted: Mon Oct 01, 2012 3:16 pm    Post subject: Crankstarting "Laury the Morry" Reply with quote

Very short video of me starting "Laury the Morry". The gigglepot with the funny laugh is my oldest Daughter and the video was done by her phone.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=i0Zq4FkvfU8

clan chieftain

PostPosted: Mon Oct 01, 2012 7:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Great looking car. Is a Tribal Elder the same as a Clan Chieftain Laughing Laughing Laughing
welshrover

PostPosted: Mon Oct 01, 2012 10:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

welcome very nice morris you have there Smile
TribalElder

PostPosted: Mon Oct 01, 2012 11:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for the Welcome folks. The Morry is a true "Barn Find". Discovered by the second owner in a shed where it had been stored for many years. No rust at all anywhere.

Got the TribalElder nick from being the Dad of 6 kids and 14 Grandkids and living longer than everybody else Wink

Rolling Eyes I have another Morris 8 that I am thinking of sitting on a Suzuki Jimny chassis. Might surprise a few if I head off-road in 4wd in a Morry Shocked

TribalElder

PostPosted: Mon Oct 01, 2012 11:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

welshrover wrote:

Hey Welshrover, I saw something unusual, at least here in Oz, on Sunday. A Morris Oxford Traveller. I thought all the Travellers were Morris Minors.

Penman

PostPosted: Tue Oct 02, 2012 12:15 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi
According to wiki
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Morris_Oxford

the MO and the Mks II and III were woodies and the Mk IV, V and VI were all steel travellers.

Any 2 from:-
Straight 6
V8 V10
welshrover

PostPosted: Tue Oct 02, 2012 12:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

TribalElder wrote:
welshrover wrote:

Hey Welshrover, I saw something unusual, at least here in Oz, on Sunday. A Morris Oxford Traveller. I thought all the Travellers were Morris Minors.

the mini was also called a traveller if it had the wood on it like the minor,
the austin cambridge estate was called the countryman and the oxford the traveller.
TribalElder

PostPosted: Sat Dec 22, 2012 9:34 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Tonight I am taking "Laury the Morry" out for a run as I rarely get to use it at night. Put new NGK Spark plugs in today B6HS and gapped them to 0.60mm. Also fitted a new Fanbelt Bosch V-Belt 13A0990 which is a really good fit and right in the middle of the adjustment range. Also adjust the bonnet clips and rubbers etc to make it fit nice and square. Car is running a real treat Very Happy

Took the hubcaps off as the rattling was doing my head in Shocked Must look at something that will keep them quiet (any ideas?)

Anyone in Victoria Australia reading, we are having an informal meet at Mothers Beach Mornington (the Top park) from 10am on New Years Day. All Welcome in any make Laughing

Very Happy

TribalElder

PostPosted: Sat Dec 22, 2012 10:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Went for the 2 hour night drive and found out a few things. Headlight pattern is "Interesting" and will require some adjustments. Seems I only have enough power for headlights or indicators, not both. Looking into solutions now. One alternative would be to change the running lights to 12v L.E.D's and swap the wiring, indicators might work on the L.E.D's too. I've tried some 12v Neg LED "Daylight running lights" today and they seem bright enough on the 6v system. The alternative would be to convert the Morry to 12v neg to earth with an alternator but I am loathe to change from the orginal 6v pos to earth as everything else is original. Will test the generator first to see if it is up to scratch with power output.

Here I am, crank-starting "Laury the Morry" Laughing

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=i0Zq4FkvfU8

PSanchez

PostPosted: Thu Apr 18, 2013 4:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Do you have any interior pictures? Just picked up a 39 Morris 8 e series here in the states and not a lot of resources here for the car.
Cheers!
Pat Sanchez
Palatine, il
USA
1959 Morris Tourer
1959 Morris 2 door saloon
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Classic cars forum & vehicle restoration. Forum Index -> All our old cars, vans, lorries etc All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: