classic car forum header
Classic cars forum & vehicle restoration.
 FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 
Register     Posting Photographs     Privacy     F/book OCC Facebook     OCC on Patreon

Hand painting a car.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Classic cars forum & vehicle restoration. Forum Index -> Bodywork & Paint Restoration
baconsdozen

PostPosted: Tue Dec 25, 2012 2:28 pm    Post subject: Hand painting a car. Reply with quote

I intend brush painting my motorhome.I did it a few years back using a paint intended for machinery and although its as tough as old boots and takes a nice shine its impossible to touch.It forms a hard skin that the new paint will not key to well.
Has anyone any personal paint recommendations?. It will have to be painted outside so it will be a job for the spring/summer,although I've plenty of bodywork to keep me occupied till then.
buzzy bee

PostPosted: Tue Dec 25, 2012 9:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Craftmaster and Purdy brushes, or a roller and then Purdy brushes
norustplease

PostPosted: Fri Dec 28, 2012 11:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The VW camper fraternity swear by Rustoleum, rollered on.
Have a look at this.

http://wiki.club8090.co.uk

Tried it on a renault 4 and it looks good.
Boring Tucson SUV
baconsdozen

PostPosted: Mon Dec 31, 2012 12:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for the tips.
I think (when I get round to it) I'll take the vehicle down to the original paint layers as much as possible and hopefully get a better finish what ever paint I use. My rover has had loads of paint on it in some paces over the years and some of it is now unstable with cracks appearing,and I want to avoid that on the transit.
A guy who used to work at an old Coachbuilders (now long gone) advised me yo use a good quality enamel but apparently they painted even double decker buses under cover and the paint used was quite slow drying.He tells me its possible to get additives to speed up the drying time.
The last paint was from Withams Paint,I think I'll ask them for a recommendation.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Classic cars forum & vehicle restoration. Forum Index -> Bodywork & Paint Restoration All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: