classic car forum header
Classic cars forum & vehicle restoration.
 FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 
Register     Posting Photographs     Privacy     F/book OCC Facebook     OCC on Patreon

Good Quality Rotary Wire Brushes Required.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Classic cars forum & vehicle restoration. Forum Index -> Bodywork & Paint Restoration
gresham flyer

PostPosted: Sun Feb 03, 2013 2:31 pm    Post subject: Good Quality Rotary Wire Brushes Required. Reply with quote

I am looking for some good quality rotary wire brushes for cleaning off rust and paint etc,from small items.
Some good quality tool suppliers do not seem to stock these anymore.

Some I have purchased from autojumbles,local tool supplies or off the internet do not last 5 minutes.
I am looking for some this size and some smaller to get into those small nooks and crannies.

Silverspur,Ching Chong,or some Chinese made German sounding names are just not good enough,some have broken up as soon as you use them..

Any thoughts please.

115mm twisted wheel wire brushes for the angle grinder wanted also,these seem to vary in quality.

Gresham Flyer
ukdave2002

PostPosted: Sun Feb 03, 2013 3:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have had the same problem with these "autojumble" brushes Confused As well as bristles flying out at an alarming frequency and speed, the dam things are not balanced even when new Shocked some of them have a really low maximum speed rating, totally impractical with most fixed speed grinders Confused

Dave
Greg

PostPosted: Sun Feb 03, 2013 4:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I know it maybe the other extreme but 'Snap-On' make them and also do rather handy brush sets which are very handy.
They do last as well.
geonot

PostPosted: Sun Feb 03, 2013 8:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

RS Components do very good stainless wire wheels- they last for ages and the wire doesn’t fly off every were when you are using them.

http://uk.rs-online.com/web/c/?searchTerm=wire+brushes&sra=oss&r=t
MikeEdwards

PostPosted: Mon Feb 04, 2013 11:32 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Can you not do the cleaning with either citric acid or an electrolytic bath? Either would minimise the amount of wire brushing required, I think the latter is more effective at lifting paint though you would have to get one bit clean first.

I've had the same experience with the twisted wire brushes, but there is a massive difference in price - I was paying about £1.50 each last time I bought some (bought a few for 'stock') but I noticed them in the Frost catalogue at silly money - nearly £20 I think. I realise they might be better, but 12x better?

All the ones I've used shed wire as they're used, so a full face mask, overalls and decent gloves are always on me before I pick one up. A mate in work was using one and did some damage to himself through inattention, and I'm queamish.
BigJohn

PostPosted: Mon Feb 04, 2013 12:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The best tool I found for stripping a chassis was an American bit of kit called Roto-stripper. I found 3 new ones in my Dads garage. I know find they are expensive! The only drawback was they work hardened and snapped the wire off. After a lot of use I found the front of my overalls looked like I had been sneaking up on a porcupine.
http://www.amazon.com/Special-Machine-Tool-CG-1-Stripper/dp/B00002N9E2
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Classic cars forum & vehicle restoration. Forum Index -> Bodywork & Paint Restoration All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: