classic car forum header
Classic cars forum & vehicle restoration.
 FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 
Register     Posting Photographs     Privacy     F/book OCC Facebook     OCC on Patreon

Underbody protection
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Classic cars forum & vehicle restoration. Forum Index -> Bodywork & Paint Restoration
mr911er

PostPosted: Mon Feb 04, 2013 6:13 pm    Post subject: Underbody protection Reply with quote

Hi Everyone

Just had a good poke around under the rear wings of the 911. Seems pretty solid and didnt mind the screwdriver too much - but needs dealing with. Looks like there are some areas where rust is setting in as the original galvanized layer is peeling off. Guess rust has begun beneath the zinc and caused it to peel away.

I want to preserve the car - but at the same time keep it looking tidy - and not sure that spraying the whole lot with underseal is the answer.

I am considering:

Soda blasting - can I do this with an ordinairy compressor? I dont have one yet but looks like a purchase is imminent. There seems to be mixed reports on here on soda blasting but I fancy I need somethig to clean it up. Are ther any other options?

Stonechip primer - looks to be the best stuff here as I would like to overpaint with the external colour. Never done any spraying before, but I sort of reckon that under the wheel arches is a good place to learn.

Appreciate any comments and ideas from the wealth of experience out there!

Kevin
ukdave2002

PostPosted: Tue Feb 05, 2013 8:48 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi

The galvanizing on 1980's 911's was good for about 10 years, just about all uk cars will have had some welding or patching. The front wings suffer around the headlamps, bottom of both door pillars are also prone to the tin worm.

Trying to blast clean the original underseal would be a long process, if its loose scrape it off, treat any rust with some phosphoric acid, paint and i prefer to seal with a clear was so it easy to see whats going on,

Cheers

Dave (former 1982 911 SC owner!)
clan chieftain

PostPosted: Wed Feb 20, 2013 10:23 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I just give mine a good wire brushing and get a can of black spray body schutz..works ok.
colwyn500

PostPosted: Wed Feb 20, 2013 1:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Is there anything you can brush on that helps with sound deadening as well as protection in the way that schutz does?

The new floor on my Fiat is awfully thin and originally must have been four times the thickness with factory underseal.

The underseal did nothing to stop the rust did it? After all, as I said, it's a new floor!
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Classic cars forum & vehicle restoration. Forum Index -> Bodywork & Paint Restoration All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: