classic car forum header
Classic cars forum & vehicle restoration.
 FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 
Register     Posting Photographs     Privacy     F/book OCC Facebook     OCC on Patreon

Brake testing
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Classic cars forum & vehicle restoration. Forum Index -> General Motoring & Collectables (inc Classic Caravans)
Jim.Walker

PostPosted: Thu Feb 21, 2013 11:44 am    Post subject: Brake testing Reply with quote

Anyone remember these? Given away by Practical Motorist I think in days of yore.

Jim.
peter scott

PostPosted: Thu Feb 21, 2013 11:49 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Jim,

What an interesting device! Presumably you stick it on your side window. Have you ever checked it against a Tapley meter to see what Good, Average and Below Average amount to?

Peter
ukdave2002

PostPosted: Thu Feb 21, 2013 11:51 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yep

My dad had one, I seem to remember it was clear plastic, yours may have yellowed with age?

Dave
Jim.Walker

PostPosted: Thu Feb 21, 2013 1:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

ukdave2002 wrote:
Yep

My dad had one, I seem to remember it was clear plastic, yours may have yellowed with age?

Dave

You could be right Dave, though light shouldn't come into it. It has been stored in a dark drawer. I cannot remember though. It must be over 50 years in storage!
And yes Peter the instructions did say "stick on side window". No instructions on how to zero it! It has no "reset" button so maybe you need to turn the car upside down and shake it? Very Happy
I suppose with a protractor and a bit of Trigonometry efficiency figures could be worked out from the photo.
I have already worked out for my own amusement that a slope of 12degrees 5minutes would give a 25% handbrake reading. I'll leave the rest to someone else.
Jim.
peter scott

PostPosted: Thu Feb 21, 2013 5:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Measuring with my highly accurate protractor I make:

Below Average = 0.292 g
Average = 0.485g
Good = 0.574g

Give or take the odd thousanth of a g.

Peter Very Happy
Penman

PostPosted: Thu Feb 21, 2013 8:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Peter
That is interesting because using the u,v,t,s,a constant acceleration equations from school physics, the braking distance for 60mph in the HC translates to about 0.67 G and I get the same result from 30mph.

Any 2 from:-
Straight 6
V8 V10
peter scott

PostPosted: Thu Feb 21, 2013 8:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I can't remember but weren't the old Tapley meter MOT limits something like 0.7g for the foot brake and 0.2g for the handbrake?

Peter
Churchill Johnson

PostPosted: Thu Feb 21, 2013 8:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I can remember when i was an mot tester early 1970's being told by the instructor who was testing me that the Rover 75 and suchlike could be passed on the handbrake even though they were below the 25% of most make's of car's as they were only designed to hold the car on a hill and most certainly i could never get the rear wheel's to lock up on these.
Jim.Walker

PostPosted: Thu Feb 21, 2013 10:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

peter scott wrote:
I can't remember but weren't the old Tapley meter MOT limits something like 0.7g for the foot brake and 0.2g for the handbrake?

Peter

We used a Churchill meter Peter, Rather more cumbersome than a Tapley Meter, The exposed pendulum carried a ball point pen which drew a line on a scaled paper which could be retained to show the customer. As well as drawing the line from zero up to whatever percentage was obtained, the line veered off centre to show if brakes were "pulling".
All the Tapley Meters I have seen were marked in percentages.
Jim.
47Jag

PostPosted: Fri Feb 22, 2013 1:27 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

In 1961 (I think) when the first test, known as the 10 year test was announced, Practical Mechanics (edited by F J Camm......what a guy) gave the advice of using a common housebrick as a makeshift tester. You would drive the car at ??? MPH with the brick stood on end at right angle to the direction of motion and applied the handbrake. If it fell over then you had achieved the 25% retardation required. The brick would then be placed on it's side and the footbrake pressed at the same ???MPH. If it toppled then the 50% requirement was achieved. If the brick slid across the floor also then you had a pull Laughing Laughing Laughing I made the last bit up.

Art
peter scott

PostPosted: Fri Feb 22, 2013 9:00 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Interesting test Art.

F.J. and his brother Sydney were both amazing guys.

I've never done it with a brick but did try it with a car battery once. It made a right mess on the carpet though!

Peter Wink
52classic

PostPosted: Fri Feb 22, 2013 2:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

What a lovely item! Never seen one before.

My own favourute brake tester (which was actually endorsed by Hot Car, back in the day) was the humble house brick.......

Place in the passenger footwell, on its side with the frog facing direction of travel. Application of the footbrake should tip the brick.

Stood as a soldier course with the frog toward the driver and the handbrake should tip the brick.
V8 Nutter

PostPosted: Fri Feb 22, 2013 8:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Back in the 60's I spent about 8 hours setting up the brakes on a '37 Ford V8, cable operated Bendix. It scored 90% effeciency on a Tapley meter, the tester couldn't believe it, he got his back up meter, same result. The only trouble was, they needed setting up again a few weeks later
Jim.Walker

PostPosted: Fri Feb 22, 2013 11:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

V8 Nutter wrote:
Back in the 60's I spent about 8 hours setting up the brakes on a '37 Ford V8, cable operated Bendix. It scored 90% effeciency on a Tapley meter, the tester couldn't believe it, he got his back up meter, same result. The only trouble was, they needed setting up again a few weeks later

Those Bendix brakes had twin leading shoes all round, About the best stopping brakes around, but useless going backwards and likely to run away backwards if stopped facing up a steep hill.
Jim.
roverdriver

PostPosted: Sat Feb 23, 2013 10:25 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

In the late 1950's, in the newsletter of the Veteran Car Club of Australia, there was a clever article about using a house brick as a decelerometer. It gave values braking efficiency if the deceleration caused an upright brick to fall over, if the 3" side was facing the direction of travel, then when the 4½" side facing. Next a brick lying on its side (3") and then a brick lying on its flat face (4½"). I doubt if any Veteran cars would manage to tip a brick that was in the latter position. Must see if I can find that article.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Classic cars forum & vehicle restoration. Forum Index -> General Motoring & Collectables (inc Classic Caravans) All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: