classic car forum header
Classic cars forum & vehicle restoration.
 FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 
Register     Posting Photographs     Privacy     F/book OCC Facebook     OCC on Patreon

Head stud question
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Classic cars forum & vehicle restoration. Forum Index -> Classic & Vintage Cars, Lorries, Vans, Motorcycles etc - General Chat
Ray White

PostPosted: Tue Feb 11, 2020 7:41 pm    Post subject: Head stud question Reply with quote

There may or may not be a correct way to install cylinder head studs into a block, however, as they come with more threads on one end than the other I would have thought someone might have an explanation.?
Salopian

PostPosted: Tue Feb 11, 2020 9:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have always put shorter threaded end to block but why is lost in the mists of my youth!. Do always check threads are clear as have seen a block split by a stud screwed into a hole with oil left in.
Suppose you need a little more leeway when fitting the head which may involve washers a degree of skimming various gasket thicknesses etc.
Ray White

PostPosted: Tue Feb 11, 2020 9:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Salopian wrote:
I have always put shorter threaded end to block but why is lost in the mists of my youth!. Do always check threads are clear as have seen a block split by a stud screwed into a hole with oil left in.
Suppose you need a little more leeway when fitting the head which may involve washers a degree of skimming various gasket thicknesses etc.

I would imagine your theory is correct. Also, there may be a range of heads for a given engine. Perhaps some aluminium heads are thicker. Sometimes accessories/brackets etc are fitted to the head.

If you look on line there are examples of the reverse practice with the extra threads in the block. I would be concerned that it could lead to breaking through into the water jacket. Then again, I have come across engines where this is the way they were built in the first place. (Jaguar XJ6).
ukdave2002

PostPosted: Tue Feb 11, 2020 10:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ray

Rule of thumb; depth of thread for a stud into the casting should be 1.5x the diameter of the stud. On these older castings you want avoid the bottom of the stud hitting the casting as they can break through into water passages, so the studs are normally made so that all the thread can be screwed in before the end of the stud touches the casting.

Dave
Ray White

PostPosted: Tue Feb 11, 2020 11:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

ukdave2002 wrote:
Ray

Rule of thumb; depth of thread for a stud into the casting should be 1.5x the diameter of the stud........

Dave

That's something I haven't heard before and I will remember it for the future.

Thanks Dave.
Miken

PostPosted: Wed Feb 12, 2020 8:01 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I was taught 1.5 x dia. In iron
2 x dia. In ally alloy
1 x dia. In steel (actually it's the thread core dia.) Which is why steel nuts are the thickness they are.
Any more thread length gives no more advantage.
colwyn500

PostPosted: Wed Feb 12, 2020 9:10 am    Post subject: Re: Head stud question Reply with quote

Ray White wrote:
There may or may not be a correct way to install cylinder head studs into a block, however, as they come with more threads on one end than the other I would have thought someone might have an explanation.?

I was advised to use "studlock" on the threads into the block. This gives a waterproof seal where stud-tappings are bottomless and into the water-jacket, helps against corrosion in any case, helps to even out the loading on the threads when under torque and does the obvious in resisting the stud self-loosening. The studs and internal threads obviously need to be grease-free.

That was on an Austin Ten where the shorter threaded end also goes into the block and the advice was from a respected expert in the Club.
Ray White

PostPosted: Wed Feb 12, 2020 12:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I can see the advantage of sealing a stud where it has broken through into a water passage but in some cases like the later 4.2 XKE Jaguar engines that I mentioned earlier, it is a design feature. A very poor one in my opinion (but what do I know?)

Here are said studs.
ukdave2002

PostPosted: Wed Feb 12, 2020 1:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Presume you will be replacing them Smile
colwyn500

PostPosted: Wed Feb 12, 2020 1:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ray White wrote:
it is a design feature. A very poor one in my opinion (but what do I know?)

Here are said studs.

I agree with you on that and it was likewise with some of the studs on the Austin Ten and probably many other cars. The lack of water is one of the many reasons why I love my air-cooled Fiat. Very Happy
Ray White

PostPosted: Wed Feb 12, 2020 1:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

colwyn500 wrote:

The lack of water is one of the many reasons why I love my air-cooled Fiat. Very Happy

A love shared by millions of motorcyclists and VW owners I am sure.
norustplease

PostPosted: Wed Feb 12, 2020 6:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

And classic Citroen owners too.
Boring Tucson SUV
Ray White

PostPosted: Wed Feb 12, 2020 6:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

norustplease wrote:
And classic Citroen owners too.

...and bubble car fans...
Mog

PostPosted: Thu Feb 13, 2020 7:52 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I agree with Miken and his sizes of studs in different materials . The dia. of the stud or root diameter is the weakest point .
ukdave2002

PostPosted: Thu Feb 13, 2020 9:27 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

It never ceases to amaze me how often head studs get reused when their age or number of re- torque cycles is unknown. Unless one knows their history they should be treated as consumable and changed when the head gasket is replaced.

Dave
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Classic cars forum & vehicle restoration. Forum Index -> Classic & Vintage Cars, Lorries, Vans, Motorcycles etc - General Chat All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: