classic car forum header
Classic cars forum & vehicle restoration.
 FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 
Register     Posting Photographs     Privacy     F/book OCC Facebook     OCC on Patreon

1972 Rover P5B saloon
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Classic cars forum & vehicle restoration. Forum Index -> All our old cars, vans, lorries etc
FrazzleTC

PostPosted: Mon Feb 20, 2012 1:50 am    Post subject: 1972 Rover P5B saloon Reply with quote

The other week, I was browsing cars for sale, when I saw this Rover P5B for sale about 60 miles away. I went to see it, and decided I had to have it, so, on Monday, I collected it! Rather an unusual classic for a 20 year old, and certainly far from cheap to insure, in fact, impossible to insure on a classic policy. It's actually insured as a modern car, in my own name, so it's absolutely legal.
I arrived home from collecting the car about 6 hours later than intended, due to a couple of unforeseen issues. When I got to collect the car, the battery had gone flat, which wasn't really surprising, given that it had only been run for a couple of minutes just the week before, and had done nothing much else for the last few months. However, once that was done, I realised it had run out of fuel. Anyway, once these trifling matters had been attended to, the car started on the first flick of the key. Cool
I decided to go into Biggar to have a spot of lunch, and fill the car with premium unleaded. Embarassed I've never driven a car which attracts half as much interest! I must confess that I did glance at the occasional shop window as I drove past, V8 resonating through the narrow streets!
I decided, in order to avoid roadworks at Moffat, I'd travel down to Lockerbie, and head home from there. Rather than the motorway, I felt since I'd just got the car, I'd rather try the back road home. I travelled about 40 miles in absolute comfort, and without much movement on the fuel gauge front. It's unlike anything I've driven before, it's just so effortless, and torquey. Overtaking is a doddle too!
Sadly, however, just outside Lockerbie, coming up to a roundabout, the brake pedal went to the floor. I had to drive through the roundabout, then let the car come to a halt, with some assistance from the handbrake in a layby just along the road. Thankfully no harm done to the car, me, or anyone else. A brake pipe has failed, as a result of the car having sat since the owner's death last autumn.
So, not a difficult fix, but the car had to be brought home on a transporter which was slightly disheartening, but I'm glad that this happened when it did, and that nothing nasty happened. I've decided to replace all of the brake lines as a matter of course, with copper items, since the car has been maintained with no corners cut in the past, I want to continue in the same manner.
I love the car though, and really can't wait to start enjoying it when the better weather arrives. It's going to be an awful lot of fun! Cool

Regarding the three litre coupé, a friend of mine will be taking over the project. Nobody locally will do the welding for me, so it's only workable for someone who can do it themselves, so that's what he will be doing. In the meantime, I'll continue tinkering with it.
JC T ONE

PostPosted: Mon Feb 20, 2012 2:56 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

What a nice car Cool congratulations with the buy Smile

Jens Christian
Rick
Site Admin

PostPosted: Mon Feb 20, 2012 9:32 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Wonderful wonderful car Cool same colour as the one I had too

RJ
OCC & classic car merchandise (Austin, Ford ++):
https://www.redbubble.com/people/OldClassicCar/shop
bob2

PostPosted: Mon Feb 20, 2012 9:43 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Lovely!!
congrats, waht about the P6, still got it?
I find that colour is quite similar to the one on my hunter, suits the p5 better though!!
FrazzleTC

PostPosted: Mon Feb 20, 2012 7:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The P5B is zircon blue, with buckskin leather, which I think really suits the car.
Yes, I do still have the P6, and will be pressing it back into daily use shortly, as I fancy using a classic everyday again, so my totally dependable, and very comfortable modern 75 will be for sale soon! Very Happy
bob2

PostPosted: Wed Feb 22, 2012 10:43 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Not sure on the name of the blue on my hunter since it was a locally assembled car but its very similar though mine might be a bit darker now since I used a similar shade from citroen, the closest I could get!!

I like your rovers, even the 75, would be a great daily for me!!

Take good care of both of them!!
Maybe one day I'll be able to scratch that V8 itch I've got lately!
Phil - Nottingham

PostPosted: Wed Feb 22, 2012 8:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Can happen to cars only 3 years old!

Glad you like it but club membership and Fourm recommended Wink

http://roverp5.proboards.com/index.cgi
Land Rover S2 & S3
Morris Mini Traveller Mk2
Rick
Site Admin

PostPosted: Wed Feb 22, 2012 8:46 pm    Post subject: Re: 1972 Rover P5B saloon Reply with quote

FrazzleTC wrote:

Mine came up looking very similar with a scrub too .. sigh

RJ
OCC & classic car merchandise (Austin, Ford ++):
https://www.redbubble.com/people/OldClassicCar/shop
victor 101

PostPosted: Thu Feb 23, 2012 8:22 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm stumped as to why you cant get it insured under a classic policy.
traction39

PostPosted: Thu Feb 23, 2012 10:06 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think there is a minimum age of 25 years old for most Classic policies...?
Why I do not know.
FrazzleTC

PostPosted: Mon Feb 27, 2012 11:56 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Phil - Nottingham wrote:
Can happen to cars only 3 years old!

Glad you like it but club membership and Fourm recommended Wink

http://roverp5.proboards.com/index.cgi

I'm on there with it, and I sent off my club stuff last week, so hopefully I'll get my membership bits and bobs through soon! Very Happy
FrazzleTC

PostPosted: Mon Feb 27, 2012 11:58 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

victor 101 wrote:
I'm stumped as to why you cant get it insured under a classic policy.

The classic insurers have all decided that their underwriters will not cover anyone under 25, unless you own one of a couple of specific cars, whose clubs seem to have a deal with the insurers. Footman James insure some people aged between 21 and 25, but only subject to very specific conditions, and 3.5 V8s aren't something they're prepared to consider.
Phil - Nottingham

PostPosted: Mon Feb 27, 2012 7:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Bad luck - have you actually spoken to the various brokers - online enquiries/quotes frequently reject/give ridiculous quotes even for me because I want occasional business use/commuting.

Also depends on your occupation of course.

A straight TPF&F policy should be available but subject to the usual extortionate premiums for young drivers.

The P5OC did have an arrangement with the old FJ and it and others including Peter Best which I use advertise in the club mag
Land Rover S2 & S3
Morris Mini Traveller Mk2
FrazzleTC

PostPosted: Tue Feb 28, 2012 12:33 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I only ever spoke to brokers, as the online quote systems for classic insurers wouldn't even offer cover to under 25s. I've spoken to 30 or so insurers and each time, I got the same reply. What annoys me, is that the week before I bought the car, I phoned around, and one of the classic insurers offered me a quote, but when i phoned them back, just as they were confirming everything, they discovered that their underwriters had withdrawn cover for under 25s! An absolute disgrace, in my opinion. Nothing seems to be happening either. That said, 'Classics Monthly' seem genuinely very interested in this issue, and will be covering it throughout the discussion, they tell me.
I'm in full-time employment, in a shop, so that didn't seem to be the problem. I questioned a couple of insurers who advertise in club mags that I get, with members' offers, and why they couldn't offer them to me, but this got me nowhere. Crying or Very sad
It's insured, but the price is ludicrous.
JC T ONE

PostPosted: Tue Feb 28, 2012 5:42 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thats a real shame Sad and I think its the same here in Denmark Sad

Biggest problem here, is that it scares young car enthusiasts away from the hobby, leaving no one to take over Rolling Eyes
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Classic cars forum & vehicle restoration. Forum Index -> All our old cars, vans, lorries etc All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: