classic car forum header
Classic cars forum & vehicle restoration.
 FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 
Register     Posting Photographs     Privacy     F/book OCC Facebook     OCC on Patreon

1948 Kaiser
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Classic cars forum & vehicle restoration. Forum Index -> All our old cars, vans, lorries etc
Luciantg

PostPosted: Tue Feb 19, 2013 9:16 pm    Post subject: 1948 Kaiser Reply with quote

My dad and I just purchased our first car to rebuild, its 1948 Kaiser special.

our goal is to rebuild it to original. it has an engine and transmission still in it.

I joined this site to get pointer and help form people who have done restorations before. The interior is in pretty bad shape

the first thing we are gonna do is gut the inside and clean it off.

I was also hoping someone on here could tell me about the hood ornament, it is not a Kaiser one. here are two closer pics

we should have it clean and washed in a week. ill put up more pictures as it progresses. [/img]
Luciantg

PostPosted: Tue Feb 19, 2013 9:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ohh yea, forgot to mention that three of the doors wont stay closed, neither will the hood or trunk and the drivers door wont open.

any ideas to help me get it unstuck?
Rick
Site Admin

PostPosted: Wed Feb 20, 2013 8:00 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

That should be fun, where are you situated?

If the door mechanisms are in place, do they just need freeing up?

RJ
OCC & classic car merchandise (Austin, Ford ++):
https://www.redbubble.com/people/OldClassicCar/shop
Kelsham

PostPosted: Wed Feb 20, 2013 10:03 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Back in the 1950s we lived in Natal just outside Durban. My father bought a Kaiser Frazer, apparently only made for a short time. I have looked but sadly I don't seem to have a photograph of it.

A good clean is the way to start. Good luck with the restoration.

Regards Kels.
Scotty

PostPosted: Wed Feb 20, 2013 6:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Love it - you're going to have an interesting experience with such a fabulous and rare car. Cool

Are you going 'stock', 'mild custom' or the 'whole hog'? Personally I'm a 'stock' man, however I realise also each to their own.
Luciantg

PostPosted: Mon Feb 25, 2013 8:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

located in meridian id, the place i bought it from has around 30 other cars from the 40's-60's but this was the only one with engine and transmission.

im going full stock on it, we are about half way done cleaning out the crap, leaves and dirt in it.

the mechanics are all in there but the window was busted out who knows how long ago. there is dirt and a lot of debris inside it. and the front seat is in to bad of shape to climb across and take door panel out. i did wd-40 it but that didn't do a darn thing, i don't really want to take a crow bar out pry it open but i want to see the plate on the inside of the door to see if i have a title for it.
V8 Nutter

PostPosted: Mon Feb 25, 2013 8:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Interesting car. You will find several American companies advertise original interior materials on the net. The engine is similar to the one used in Hyster fork trucks some of the parts are interchangeable. They had a problem with head gaskets
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Classic cars forum & vehicle restoration. Forum Index -> All our old cars, vans, lorries etc All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: