classic car forum header
Classic cars forum & vehicle restoration.
 FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 
Register     Posting Photographs     Privacy     F/book OCC Facebook     OCC on Patreon

Morris 8 E Recondition engine....differences
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Classic cars forum & vehicle restoration. Forum Index -> All our old cars, vans, lorries etc
Stuart2u

PostPosted: Mon May 20, 2013 9:48 am    Post subject: Morris 8 E Recondition engine....differences Reply with quote

I have acquired a fully reconditioned Morris 8 E engine from a local engineer and Morris spares man. Have seen his work in progress on the engine and witnessed it running on his test rig. Now waiting for winter to fit it......However, I have noticed some differences in the engine to the one in the car. Its a bolted on casing to the engine block above the bottom water intake. (picture attached). He did mention that it was a later block which would have been in the first Morris Minors with the side valve engine.

I just don't understand the purpose of the casing. Nothing goes into or out of it!!!!!?????

Also on the other side of the block is what I take to be the location for an external oil filter........is this correct? If so is there a kit available still and would it be worth fitting. From what I recall the sump located 'oil filter' is fitted to the internal pump pick up. (see picture)

Stuart

[img][/img]

[img][/img]

(edit RJ: fix for horizontal scrolling)
ukdave2002

PostPosted: Mon May 20, 2013 10:02 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Stuart

What you have is a later block, the bolt on casting provides better water flow & cooling, it was first used when the engines were used in tanks, tractors and boats, but carried on to the post war minor. If you take it off, you will see where Morris have drilled the block to allow the water to circulate into the casting.

You have correctly identified the oil take off for an external filter, people have fitted them to 8's, but they need modification to clear the axle.

Pic below is my Tank engine, with external oil filter , next to a standard block.

Cheers

Dave
Stuart2u

PostPosted: Tue May 21, 2013 11:37 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Dave. Thanks once more for your help......

Stuart
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Classic cars forum & vehicle restoration. Forum Index -> All our old cars, vans, lorries etc All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: