classic car forum header
Classic cars forum & vehicle restoration.
 FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 
Register     Posting Photographs     Privacy     F/book OCC Facebook     OCC on Patreon

1966 Fiat 500F Restoration
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 18, 19, 20 ... 32, 33, 34  Next
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Classic cars forum & vehicle restoration. Forum Index -> All our old cars, vans, lorries etc
vitesse

PostPosted: Wed Apr 09, 2014 11:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Oh right cheers Peter I couldn't make my mind up where to put them. I had them at 20 past on the drivers door and they kept snagging on the window winder.

You do realise I am going to have to correct that tonight before I go to bed or I won't be able to sleep tonight. Very Happy
colwyn500

PostPosted: Thu Apr 10, 2014 7:56 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

vitesse wrote:
Oh right cheers Peter I couldn't make my mind up where to put them. I had them at 20 past on the drivers door and they kept snagging on the window winder.

You do realise I am going to have to correct that tonight before I go to bed or I won't be able to sleep tonight. Very Happy

Oh No! Please don't because then I will find the photo and notice that it's more like 12 minutes past and get stressed for telling you. Confused

(Edited to show the two photos from the day my then untouched Fiat was delivered.)

vitesse

PostPosted: Thu Apr 10, 2014 9:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Oh right cheers Peter. Mine are now correctly repositioned but I am concerned that your passenger door looks a couple of minutes slow!!!!!!!??????

I had one of those days today where I seemed to have achieved absolutely nothing despite being in the garage most of the day?????

A little mod that I like? I replaced the original 3W dim festoon bulb in the interior mirror with one with 4 little LEDs inside it. They cost all of £1.69 for two from Ebay plus free P&P. cheaper than buying the original bulb and much improved light.

tjmra

PostPosted: Fri Apr 11, 2014 10:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

( Sssssshhhh Please don't let him look in the owners manual. The postition is slightly more vertical......)
colwyn500

PostPosted: Fri Apr 11, 2014 10:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I heard that, I must adjust mine for British Summer Time. Laughing
vitesse

PostPosted: Sun Apr 13, 2014 9:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

tjmra wrote:
( Sssssshhhh Please don't let him look in the owners manual. The postition is slightly more vertical......)

I had a look at some pictures of other 500's and see what you mean Joe. I am not really sure if I like the end of the handle poking out over the top of the door card. I will try them up there and see what I think.
vitesse

PostPosted: Sun Apr 13, 2014 9:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quick update no pictures today, as I didn't get a chance to take any.

I ended up buying new wheels, so I took both old and new to my two local tyres shops to get a price for swapping they tyres over on to the new rims and balancing.

The first place I went to wanted £66.00 !!!!!!!!! Also I thought I recognised the owner but couldn't place his face. So I went to the second and they quoted me £48.00. So I told them what the other guy wanted and there were a few expletives saying the guy in the first place was a little something and that he had rubbed a few people up the wrong way and nobody in the village liked him. After this conversation the price dropped to £40, as they must have liked me. Then we realised they couldn't balance them because of the bar that holds the hub cap on. So it ended up costing me £24. I have to find a place tomorrow that can balance them if they have the correct adaptor. But I remembered who the first guy was in the end, his dogs attacked my dog leaving me £400 out of pocket, so he will never be getting any of my money.

Bled the brakes today, I put in DOT5 silicon fluid that I had left from a few years back, it was unopened. At first nothing was coming through to the rear offside wheel cylinder and after about 5 minutes of pumping the pedal I spotted a pool of brake fluid underneath the master cylinder it turned out I hadn't tightened up one of the brake lines properly, it was a bit of mare trying to get to the brake line, as it was hidden by one below it, which had to be disconnected first. I am glad I used silicon in the end as it was everywhere.

In the end I ended up with a pretty good solid pedal and no spongey feeling. They will need to have a quick bleed again once the brake shoes have bedded in.

So once the wheels have been balanced, they can go back on, so the engine should go back in, in the next couple of days.
tjmra

PostPosted: Mon Apr 14, 2014 11:42 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Tony,

just messing with your head....

Joe R
colwyn500

PostPosted: Mon Apr 14, 2014 12:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

tjmra wrote:
Tony,

Joe R

Same here from time to time Tony. Laughing
But I do admire you keeping things original without getting too pure about it.
vitesse

PostPosted: Mon Apr 14, 2014 8:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Oh right cheers guys. I prefer the handles as per Peter's pictures I have decided.

I got the wheels balanced today. At first glance they didn't think they would be able to get the studs on their adaptor plate wide enough apart and also because the bolt holes were so small on the wheels they didn't know if the wheel studs they use would hold them in place ok. But they were really good and didn't want to be defeated and succeeded in the end. So that's a step further towards getting the engine and gearbox back in. It's looking like Wednesday or Thursday. As I am having problems getting the gearbox filler plug out. I may need to take the exhaust back off to get to it better.
vitesse

PostPosted: Tue Apr 15, 2014 7:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Wheels back on and petrol tank back in. I need to paint the top of the petrol tank float bit first.

So it meant little Luigi could pop his head out of the garage and see what the weather was like? The sunlight really shows how good the spray job is.

An unusual view up into the engine bay. Shows how clean it is now. No doubt will soon be covered in oil but fingers crossed I have solved any leaks.

vitesse

PostPosted: Tue Apr 15, 2014 7:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

colwyn500 wrote:
tjmra wrote:
Tony,

Joe R

Same here from time to time Tony. Laughing
But I do admire you keeping things original without getting too pure about it.

Oh and was hunting for some bits in my spares box and came across the roses for the door handles that I had forgot to put on. I thought it looked a bit naff with the massive holes behind the handles on the door cars!!! Doh!!!!!!
D4B

PostPosted: Tue Apr 15, 2014 8:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Luigi looks amazing ~ you'll be popping off down Tesco's soon....

Just make sure you park a LONG way from the trolley shelter Wink
vitesse

PostPosted: Tue Apr 15, 2014 9:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

D4B wrote:
Luigi looks amazing ~ you'll be popping off down Tesco's soon....

Just make sure you park a LONG way from the trolley shelter Wink

I take the trolleys out and park it inside Steve. Laughing
colwyn500

PostPosted: Tue Apr 15, 2014 9:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Forget parking and trolleys...just drive in; the aisles are wide enough.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Classic cars forum & vehicle restoration. Forum Index -> All our old cars, vans, lorries etc All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 18, 19, 20 ... 32, 33, 34  Next
Page 19 of 34

Jump to: