classic car forum header
Classic cars forum & vehicle restoration.
 FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 
Register     Posting Photographs     Privacy     F/book OCC Facebook     OCC on Patreon

Considering a 1965 Moggy
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Classic cars forum & vehicle restoration. Forum Index -> All our old cars, vans, lorries etc
Rdover

PostPosted: Thu Jun 20, 2013 1:00 pm    Post subject: Considering a 1965 Moggy Reply with quote

I've just been offered a 1965 Moggy (black with red leather) as a swap for an old touring caravan. It's in need of some mechanical work to get through the MOT but the body is A1. Used be my pal's daily drive until kids came along but now he's not got the cash for anything.

Questions
What tin worm stuff should I be on the look out for?
What practical mods are most desirable?
And the thorny question, what is a nice tidy reliable running 1965 moggy worth?
peppiB

PostPosted: Thu Jun 20, 2013 2:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have a 1965 Moggy and use it daily through the summer

Tin worm - wings, doors B post, Scuttle Panel, boot floor and under the back seat

Mine is unmodified and copes well in traffic. It has taken me to John O'Groats and Jersey without any problems I still use the original 8" drum brakes which as long as you leave an appropriate gap behind the vehicle in front are adequate. Some people, however, install Marina disc brakes.

If you do a lot of motorway driving a Ford 5 speed gearbox and Marina 1275 engine can be used.

All panels and parts are available off the shelf for next day delivery.

A good useable saloon should cost between £1500 and £2000
I bought mine 10 years ago for £300 and spent £1300 restoring her

My fully comp insurance for central Newcastle upon Tyne is £109 per year
Rdover

PostPosted: Thu Jun 20, 2013 3:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Great info, exactly what I needed.

It's had some modification but to what I don't know. I reckon my caravan is worth £750 on a very good day and this car needs the brakes sorting and some suspension work apparently. It's been dry stored for the last 15 months and as I've got full workshop facilities it could be a good swap.

My friend has no money and has wanted a caravan for cheap holidays for a while and he likes mine but it needs work which he can do. He can't pay for the work needed on the Moggy nor can he do it himself so this could be a good match. Even to buy it, do it up and sell it would be great fun! No tax and cheap insurance.
D4B

PostPosted: Thu Jun 20, 2013 3:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

With such great availability of parts I am thinking that's the classic
I should have bought Idea
Rick
Site Admin

PostPosted: Thu Jun 20, 2013 5:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

As peppib says, check for rot, the floorpans are quite a complicated assembly from having peered underneath a few, so a good sound floor is definitely a bonus. Also check the rear spring hangers.

It sounds like a very fair trade if the body is as sound as you say. A good interior is definitely a bonus too.

RJ
OCC & classic car merchandise (Austin, Ford ++):
https://www.redbubble.com/people/OldClassicCar/shop
peppiB

PostPosted: Thu Jun 20, 2013 7:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

That sounds a very good trade. As for the floor, panels are available as rear patches with spring shackles, quarter, half, and full panel - all ex stock

I rebuilt a traveller from near scrap 7 years ago and just nitpicked the panels I needed from stock
Rdover

PostPosted: Fri Jun 21, 2013 11:22 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

More information from a along chat last night.

It was a daily drive for 5 years until 2 years ago when the brake m/c needed changed and whilst that was being done a pre-mot check found a problem with the front suspension. Barry bought the part but cannot afford the cost of fitting so the car has sat ever since at the back of the Garage's storage shed.

It has, I think, electronic ignition disc brakes (but not servo assisted) perfect body/chassis and nice interior. I think it will be a weekend's work to get it to MOT standard and then it's on the road and worth a decent amount more.

I suspect there will be more 'conservation' work required as well but that is just part of the fun.
clan chieftain

PostPosted: Fri Jun 21, 2013 12:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Great little cars...go for it. Cool
ukdave2002

PostPosted: Fri Jun 21, 2013 1:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Moggys have a jacking point right in the centre on both sides, its worth jacking the car up from here and checking how the doors now fit,...... it can be quite an eyeopener Shocked

Dave
Rick
Site Admin

PostPosted: Fri Jun 21, 2013 1:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

ukdave2002 wrote:
Moggys have a jacking point right in the centre on both sides, its worth jacking the car up from here and checking how the doors now fit,...... it can be quite an eyeopener Shocked

Dave

And door-opener on really bad examples Smile

R
peppiB

PostPosted: Fri Jun 21, 2013 3:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

ukdave2002 wrote:

Dave

Shocked Shocked Shocked No Moggy owner that I know would EVER use the jacking points Shocked Shocked Shocked These are 50 year old cars. To jack up you must use a hydraulic/trolley jack and stay well away from those jacking points, unless you want to break the back of the car. Mine have been removed. They are a separate panel which goes on to the end of the main cross member. Even the cross member is available in 3 parts so the whole thing isn't removed at once, again to stop the car breaking its back.
They are also available as a whole unit for when the car is rolled onto its side in a cradle, with doors, bonnet, boot lid and engine/gearbox removed.
D4B

PostPosted: Fri Jun 21, 2013 4:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

If the jacking point can't cope, obviously structural repairs are needed.....
Rick
Site Admin

PostPosted: Fri Jun 21, 2013 5:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Reminds me of a true story told to me about a tourer a few years ago.

The new owners of a shiny MM rocked up at a friends' place in their newly-bought tourer, bought from a Minor restoration firm, all the car's occupants beaming and joyful about their new acquisition understandably.

Their merriment was tempered slightly when they realised that four-up, after their trip, neither door would open. Quite what happened next I'm not sure, perhaps a firm tug on a door handle by someone externally enabled their exit, or else one or two of the party clambered out over the hood to ease the strain on the car's structure....something was definitely amiss.

RJ
ukdave2002

PostPosted: Fri Jun 21, 2013 10:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The moggy tourer is a lovely car, but frankly one of the most flimsy cars produced. Even when 100% solid, if the car is jacked up, at the front , rear or middle ; the door gap noticeably changes at the top :shock Shocked

A good saloon should be capable of being jacked up in the middle, if not as db4 says; it needs structural work.

Dave
peppiB

PostPosted: Sat Jun 22, 2013 8:35 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

There are a lot of 'tourers' around which started life as 2 door saloons and were converted (kits readily available) Even though the kits include a brace the conversion isn't up to 'original' spec. You can tell if it is conversion job - if it has a sun visor then it is a conversion as the original tourers didn't have those fitted. (conversions done as tourer worth far more than 2 door saloon)

As for jacking up the car, I stand by my statement that no Moggy owners I know would ever use the jacking points. The vehicles are sound and roadworthy but why put undue duress on the structure? It may have been designed that way, but back in the 40's and 50's how many people had a trolley jack available? The cars were capable of 60mph in third gear but how many people flog them like that now? Just a question of sensible handling and they will last much longer
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Classic cars forum & vehicle restoration. Forum Index -> All our old cars, vans, lorries etc All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: