classic car forum header
Classic cars forum & vehicle restoration.
 FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 
Register     Posting Photographs     Privacy     F/book OCC Facebook     OCC on Patreon

Morris 8 tourer - fixing body to chassis?
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Classic cars forum & vehicle restoration. Forum Index -> All our old cars, vans, lorries etc
kimchris

PostPosted: Sat Jan 11, 2014 11:13 pm    Post subject: Morris 8 tourer - fixing body to chassis? Reply with quote

I am rebuilding a 4 seater tourer which was started when I got it. The body was on the chassis but not fastened down. Can anyone please tell me what fixes the body to the chassis? Is it just screwed down with large washers or is there something more substantial?

Thanks

Andrew
goneps

PostPosted: Mon Jan 13, 2014 2:32 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Here are the official Service Information sheets detailing procedure for removing a Saloon body, which should be essentially the same for the Tourer body. Reverse the procedure to install.

There should be captive nuts in the bottom wooden rails to accept bolts passed through the chassis rails. All fastener threads will be BSF. Thick felt strips (oiled) are placed between the body and chassis to absorb some flexing and prevent squeaks.

Richard

Penman

PostPosted: Mon Jan 13, 2014 10:20 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi
What a detailed document.

I love wording of the last step, shouldn't that be "reassembly takes place in the reverse order" ?

Any 2 from:-
Straight 6
V8 V10
Rosco663

PostPosted: Tue Jan 14, 2014 11:34 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Gidday Andrew and welcome to the forum, I am sure you will find plenty of like minded enthusiasts here - me being one Cool

If it is like my Series 1 Tourer there should be 1/4" 'Rivnuts' embedded in the various positions on the chassis as per the photo following.

The wooden Tourer frame will bolt down into these using 1/4" machine head bolts (countersunk heads and washers). Sing out if you need more info.

Cheers
kimchris

PostPosted: Sun Jan 26, 2014 10:42 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Wow - those pictures and diagrams are great. Thanks very much. I expected something more than 1/4 in machine screws to hold the body on but I suppose if they have been ok for 80 years then they will do for me.

Thanks again

Andrew (sheffield)
Rosco663

PostPosted: Sun Jan 26, 2014 2:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yep 1/4" BSF machine heads. It may sound a bit flimsy until you count how many are involved Cool
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Classic cars forum & vehicle restoration. Forum Index -> All our old cars, vans, lorries etc All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: