classic car forum header
Classic cars forum & vehicle restoration.
 FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 
Register     Posting Photographs     Privacy     F/book OCC Facebook     OCC on Patreon

Garage size
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Classic cars forum & vehicle restoration. Forum Index -> General Motoring & Collectables (inc Classic Caravans)
petermeachem

PostPosted: Tue Jan 21, 2014 8:41 pm    Post subject: Garage size Reply with quote

Having just sold our house (took a long time) we are looking for new ones. I'm pretty much at the bottom end of the market which is still quite expensive round here, but I need a garage attached to the house and not in a block. Some of them are really small. Considering my car is 10ft by 4ft all I need is space at the end to work, store things and keep equipment and enough room down the sides to paint. I looked at one house today where I'd be pushed to get the car in. Are garages just for bikes and freezers now?
peppiB

PostPosted: Tue Jan 21, 2014 9:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

There is a standing joke for where I used to live. The Tyne cruisers went past and you could hear the commentary

'On the left you will see 3 blocks of luxury apartments. Outside you will see parked the luxury cars. That is because when they built the flats they made the garages too small to take the cars'

Loud guffors usually from the passengers
petermeachem

PostPosted: Tue Jan 21, 2014 9:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The one I looked at today had a Fiesta or something parked outside. That wouldn't have fitted.
D4B

PostPosted: Tue Jan 21, 2014 9:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Peter I know exactly of what you speak, I had to give in and admit that my Peugeot would be consigned to a life under a caravan cover instead of this:

I have a little more space in there now ~ current project is much smaller, and yet somehow more time / money consuming Confused

Steve
Penman

PostPosted: Tue Jan 21, 2014 9:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi
Did you have to remove the door to get the Pug in and out? Very Happy

Any 2 from:-
Straight 6
V8 V10
gillberry

PostPosted: Tue Jan 21, 2014 10:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

We have two garages big enough but do not have a wide enough dirve to drive down to get to them, the only car that we ever put in one was my old viva ha, but on anither point does you little van always sleep on its side Very Happy
D4B

PostPosted: Tue Jan 21, 2014 10:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Penman wrote:
Hi
Did you have to remove the door to get the Pug in and out? Very Happy

YES and all the wheels!! We made wooden wheels from 19" ply to get it down low enough, you can see one in the pic....... NEVER AGAIN !
petermeachem

PostPosted: Tue Jan 21, 2014 11:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The pug is quite big. Plus you have a bench alongside, that size would be fine for me.
For some reason estate agents often don't put the garage size, or if they do put the door width. I'm going back to look at a house just down the road again with a tape measure and the agent has a garage key.
Richard H

PostPosted: Tue Jan 21, 2014 11:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Round where I live everyone seems to convert their garages into extra rooms for the house. Those who don't rarely use them for parking cars in.
Rick
Site Admin

PostPosted: Wed Jan 22, 2014 8:30 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

D4B wrote:

Looks like it's taking an afternoon nap Smile

The motor house arrangements were key to our last house search, and indeed took up most of the first viewing.

RJ
OCC & classic car merchandise (Austin, Ford ++):
https://www.redbubble.com/people/OldClassicCar/shop
colwyn500

PostPosted: Wed Jan 22, 2014 8:59 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Peter, remember that ideally, when viewing new garages, the house included with the sale needs to have sufficient storage for your spare parts.
bob2

PostPosted: Wed Jan 22, 2014 10:19 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Was going to view a house last week, It had a big 8 car garage included in the sale and a garden at the back!!
However due to our circumstances right now we decided to skip on it.
We're expecting our second child, due next month so it would have been too much a hassle right now!!
I dream of owning such a garage and be able to have all my cars together under one roof (and maybe add something else as well, but don't tell swmbo this last bit though Very Happy )
ukdave2002

PostPosted: Wed Jan 22, 2014 10:25 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

In the UK it's the cost of the land that drives the overall house price, so with new builds space is a premium and the garage size suffers. You are probably better looking for something older, that may have a larger garage, or has the space to extend or rebuild the existing garage.

I have only owned 2 houses , both came with a garage and in both cases we demolished the existing garage and built a new one.

Dave
petermeachem

PostPosted: Wed Jan 22, 2014 10:43 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
Peter, remember that ideally, when viewing new garages, the house included with the sale needs to have sufficient storage for your spare parts.

Quite so, I seem to have a lot of bits. I'm just going through them and will . ebay bits for cars I no longer have. The house I'm looking at today has a small conservatory which would be ideal for things like doing the front axle, much easier than in a garage, more comfortable and better light
JohnDale

PostPosted: Mon Jan 27, 2014 5:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I recently added another carport to keep the snow off the Triumph. I have to put the Zephyr out if I need the pit or to weld or paint - bit of a pain but you can only go with what you have.

Garage is two car size with only a single door - just as well as I have the other side as a workshop,cheers,JD.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Classic cars forum & vehicle restoration. Forum Index -> General Motoring & Collectables (inc Classic Caravans) All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: