classic car forum header
Classic cars forum & vehicle restoration.
 FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 
Register     Posting Photographs     Privacy     F/book OCC Facebook     OCC on Patreon

Morris 8 2 seater
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Classic cars forum & vehicle restoration. Forum Index -> All our old cars, vans, lorries etc
Bob T

PostPosted: Sat Dec 21, 2013 11:47 am    Post subject: Morris 8 2 seater Reply with quote

Hi,
I already have a saloon (see 1936 Morris 8 my first restoration) and have now aquired a 1935 2 seater.
I will post more details later, it is so long since I used this site I am going to see if I rememer how to download pics first !!

As you can see the 2 seater has modern bike lights, correcting this will be first on the agenda, but the right headlights and side lights are hard to find.

Bob
Rick
Site Admin

PostPosted: Sat Dec 21, 2013 1:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Good to hear from you again Bob, smart car - I noticed the Rochdale up for sale recently so now I see why you needed the space Smile

RJ
OCC & classic car merchandise (Austin, Ford ++):
https://www.redbubble.com/people/OldClassicCar/shop
MattF

PostPosted: Sat Dec 21, 2013 9:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Wow looks in quite nice order although i highly suspect not quite as well restord as you would have done?? Wink i still enjoy going back and reading all about your last resto! will you replace the hood so its black like the four seater?
MattF

PostPosted: Sat Dec 21, 2013 9:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I just saw on the four seater you have a wing mirror, how is that attached with the side light?
Also if you really have trouble getting the lights you need let me know...i may be able to get some in NewZealand for you Wink
Bob T

PostPosted: Sun Dec 22, 2013 12:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Matt,
the 2 seater probaly looks better than it is. The car has a new ash frame and the body and chassis are sound, but the car has been painted with aerosols !
There is also a huge gap down the back edge of the bonnet (between bonnet and scuttle).
I have compared the measuremenst with my saloon and it looks like the 2 seater bonnet has been trimmed!

The mirror on the saloon is just fixed through a hole drilled in the wing a couple of inches out from the side light, the car had a wing mirror fitted there when I got it.
Bob T

PostPosted: Sun Dec 22, 2013 12:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Matt,
as for the hood, I will clean it up and see what it looks like. Black would probably look better but I imagine the cost of replacing the hood will mean that will have to wait. Getting it repainted is probly more of a priority.
Cheers
Bob
MattF

PostPosted: Sun Dec 22, 2013 8:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Shocked OMG aerosols!!? Shocked
Your sure rite it looks better than that in the pics, totally fare enough that replacing the hood is not a priority! I had only asked because from the pics it looks so nice, oh well if it has to be resprayed you may as well rebuild the whole car yea? Wink
Thanks for the info re the wing mirror, i thought it attached somehow to your sidelights, don't want to drill an extra hole in my wings so will try find a way i can fit one on like that Wink
ukdave2002

PostPosted: Sun Dec 22, 2013 9:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Bob

Is the bonnet gap about 5/8"? Is the 2 seater a runner? it looks taxed.

Cheers

Dave
Bob T

PostPosted: Sun Dec 22, 2013 10:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Dave,
yes the 2 seater is a runner. It has a new ash frame and rebuilt engine but is cosmetically challlenged!
The gap gets bigger as you go down, it is correct at the hinge and nearly an inch at the bottom. I have measured it again today, from the end grille vent to the trailing edge it is about an inch too short and the back edge is also slightly curved compared to my saloon. It is defintely not a question of poor fitting or alignment, it has been cut or ground down.
Cheers
Bob
goneps

PostPosted: Tue Dec 24, 2013 11:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Bob,

If I may say so, a black hood would not look better! They were never black originally, and black has the drawbacks of making the interior very dark and showing up the dirt, especially if it's the correct canvas-type material—vinyl is also completely wrong, and looks awful.

The colour of the material you have is a bit too pale, but better that than black. However, the half-tonneau should be black. Check the original brochures on the MR web site if in doubt, or go to Rob Symonds' site for an example of how it should be done (http://www.rwscars.net/mo_home.htm).

Richard
bjacko

PostPosted: Wed Jan 08, 2014 5:29 am    Post subject: Morris 8 Roadster Reply with quote

It looks as if your radiator is mounted too high causing the gap at the rear edge, and maybe too low at the rear centre position. Make a comparison with the Saloon.
goneps

PostPosted: Wed Jan 08, 2014 5:42 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Surely if the radiator were mounted high enough to cause the gap between bonnet sides and scuttle there would be a gap of at least an inch between the radiator shell and front apron.

A member of the local MR came across this same issue when restoring a Tourer many years ago, so I'm inclined to the view that not all bonnet sides are the same, even though the Series 1 Part List shows only one number.

Richard
Bob T

PostPosted: Wed Jan 08, 2014 11:43 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I tend to agree with Richard. There is no gap between toh bottom of the rad and the apron. I have lowered the bracket on the bulkhead that houses the end of the hinge, and I have temporarily padded out the rubber that goes around the bulk head, this has made a slight imrovement.
As I said before the 2 seater side panel when measured from halfway down the rear edge, from the first vent to the back edge is 2cm shorter than my saloon when measured in the same place.
In the next day or two I intend to swop bonnets, hopefully then I wil see for sure what the problem is.
I think I need two new side panels or need to have a piece welded on the existing.
I will let you know soon and will post some more pics.
In the meanwhile I am still deciding what to do about my lights, at the moment I am probably going to put new 6.5 inch sealed beams in the original shells. I know this is not 'correct' but it is a mod that many owners did years ago.
Happy New Year to all
Bob
Bob T

PostPosted: Thu Jan 09, 2014 5:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I took the 2 seater out for a drive yesterday. It was the first time I had driven it since it was delivered on a trailer.
It goes really well (much better than it looks!)
The only problem was with the hood up I couldn't see anything !! So I took the hood off and it was great driving around for half an hour on a nice sunny afternoon.
Today I bought some Renovo Plastic Window cleaner, what a transformation. The side and rear windows that were almost opaque are now as clear as when they were new, just like glass.
I can highly recommend it.
Bob
Bob T

PostPosted: Sat Jan 11, 2014 2:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thought I would add some more pics ti show the problem with the bonnet !
I have just been out for a 15 mile run with the roof down, great fun.
Reconditioned carb with new needle and jet makes all the difference.

<a

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Classic cars forum & vehicle restoration. Forum Index -> All our old cars, vans, lorries etc All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: