classic car forum header
Classic cars forum & vehicle restoration.
 FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 
Register     Posting Photographs     Privacy     F/book OCC Facebook     OCC on Patreon

Automec Brake Fluid
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Classic cars forum & vehicle restoration. Forum Index -> General Restoration Advice
vitesse

PostPosted: Sun Mar 23, 2014 3:12 am    Post subject: Automec Brake Fluid Reply with quote

Anyone got any experience with this silicon brake fluid? I have 2 unopened 1 litre bottles of it and I am looking to use it in my Fiat 500 as it has all new brake parts throughout. The bottles have sat in my garage for a few years unopened. Probably 5 years + they don't have a use before date, just wondered if it would be ok to use still.

It does seem to be quite expensive from what I have Googled. I.e £37.00 a litre from Rimmers.
Greeney in France

PostPosted: Sun Mar 23, 2014 8:15 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

DOT 5 fluid will be fine in an unopened state
I would be more careful if the containers were 'tin' as contaminants can creep into the seams.
If you are really worried ask Automec, they are always very helpful.

We do these things not to escape life but to prevent life escaping us

Last edited by Greeney in France on Fri Apr 11, 2014 1:49 pm; edited 1 time in total
vitesse

PostPosted: Sun Mar 23, 2014 3:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks Greeney
D4B

PostPosted: Sun Mar 23, 2014 5:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Welcome back Greeney in France....... ?
Greeney in France

PostPosted: Sun Mar 23, 2014 5:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I do drop in occasionally, I will make a concerted effort to drop in more often. Embarassed

We do these things not to escape life but to prevent life escaping us
stevel98

PostPosted: Fri Apr 11, 2014 1:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

DOT 5 only for silicon systems, DOT 3, 4, & 5.1 for the rest of us. Not to be mixed.
vitesse

PostPosted: Sun Apr 13, 2014 10:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

stevel98 wrote:
DOT 5 only for silicon systems, DOT 3, 4, & 5.1 for the rest of us. Not to be mixed.

Steve what's a silicon brake system? I am under the impression that Automec DOT 5 is used widely on Classic Cars? I used it on my Truimph Vitesse for many years without problems?

Tony
colwyn500

PostPosted: Sun Apr 13, 2014 10:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

You've been unstoppable with that restoration Tony, but now you have brakes so you can Wink
That DOT 5, being silicone, is just not to be mixed with other types, which I am sure you know. I don't know if the assembly fluid in new components affects it. There are obviously advantages in it not absorbing moisture but apparently that can lead to accumulations of water at low points in the system. When you start racing with your 500, that might cause problems whejn the brakes get red hot Laughing
It absorbs air so this can introduce bleeding problems. I know you'l be well used to bleeding problems in owning a Fiat 500; I know that I am and I haven't even done the brakes yet.
vitesse

PostPosted: Mon Apr 14, 2014 2:15 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

colwyn500 wrote:
You've been unstoppable with that restoration Tony, but now you have brakes so you can Wink
That DOT 5, being silicone, is just not to be mixed with other types, which I am sure you know. I don't know if the assembly fluid in new components affects it. There are obviously advantages in it not absorbing moisture but apparently that can lead to accumulations of water at low points in the system. When you start racing with your 500, that might cause problems whejn the brakes get red hot Laughing
It absorbs air so this can introduce bleeding problems. I know you'l be well used to bleeding problems in owning a Fiat 500; I know that I am and I haven't even done the brakes yet.

Yeah to me Peter it seems the perfect solution to a Fiat 500 when trying to pour the fluid into the massive brake reservoir. I don't think there is a funnel small enough to get it into the neck. I have got a pretty solid feeling brake pedal, I must admit I was thinking is this okay, having forgotten how bad drums all round feel compared with moderns. The proof in the pudding will be a road test. First time on the road 17 years, I think the chances of boiling my brake fluid with 17.5 BHP behind me is fairly remote but who knows with the wind behind me and downhill!!!!!!
vitesse

PostPosted: Mon Apr 14, 2014 1:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I emailed Automec as suggested by Greeney and they were very helpful as he said.

Here is their reply.

Thank you for contacting us, I am glad you did.

We are not aware of a specific silicone system but to put your mind at rest, Silicone Brake Fluid can be used in any vehicle, both classic and modern, that uses polyglycol brake fluid. I have had it in my Ford Focus for a couple of years with no problems at all!! It must not be used in LHM mineral systems used by Citroen and Rolls Royce so maybe that is where confusion has arisen on the forum.

It will be fine to use the fluid you already have, even if it had been opened.

I hope that answers your question but please contact us again if you need more information.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Classic cars forum & vehicle restoration. Forum Index -> General Restoration Advice All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: