classic car forum header
Classic cars forum & vehicle restoration.
 FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 
Register     Posting Photographs     Privacy     F/book OCC Facebook     OCC on Patreon

Morris Z Van
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Classic cars forum & vehicle restoration. Forum Index -> All our old cars, vans, lorries etc
ukdave2002

PostPosted: Fri May 11, 2012 7:01 pm    Post subject: Morris Z Van Reply with quote

There was a thread on this van , started by Rick some 4 years ago? but I can't find it ! I bought the van off Rick 3 ish years ago, and it's sat in storage ever since.

The van is an ex GPO Telephone engineers van, plan is to restore it to GPO spec, so I have been collecting stuff like the original ladder rack and internal racking.

In March 2012 a couple of things happened; The Morris Register wanted a commercial to show at the Event City car show in Manchester, and I was moving my storage. So for the first time in 3 years I had a really good look at the van, the brakes had never worked (Rick had suspected the master cylinder), oil pressure (on the cars gauge was very random) and most of the electrics didn't do to much.

I decided to revamp the entire brake system, made a complete set of pipes up, the front brakes were standard Morris 8 brakes I had a set of linings and refurbished wheel cylinders in "stock" so no problem, the rear brakes were completely different Shocked ..after a bit of digging I found out that later Z vans were fitted with the post war minor axle and brakes, what a result as post war minor brake stuff is readily available and a fraction of the cost of Morris 8 bits Smile . The master cylinder was passed its best;I had a better one that responded well to new seals!

The odd oil pressure sorted its self out I suspect the gauge pipe was partially blocked? but its all good and constant now.

Brakes sorted I looked at the electrics, unfortunately the van has been re-wired mainly using brown cable Confused anyway all faults pointed to the control box and a couple of corroded terminals, I cleaned these up an adjusted the control box and everything apart from the real lights came to life. The rear lights for some reason had been disconnected, a quick bit or re-wiring sorted these out.

So all this done I booked the van in for an MOT this afternoon, a couple of hours before hand I gave it the last once over..... and found a problem I had somehow missed Confused there was play in the off sided kingpin Sad ..... 2 hours to the MOT..do I cancel?

Idea Idea; I have a worn Morris 8 layshaft (5/8"s ground bar same as the kingpin and some new oilite bushes for the same, planned use was for a gearbox rebuild) the wear on the layshaft was at the 2 points where it sits in a bearing, and ther is enough unworn bar to make a kingpin Smile So I quickly stripped the offending stub axle down and yes there is a god! the external dimensions of the oilite bushes are also correct Smile reamed the bushes , ground a flat on the cut layshaft for the cotter pin, turned a new thrust washer, cut the layshaft to size, drilled a hole in the bushes for grease and the job's a good un! Smile

So this afternoon we went for an MOT......all good except for "sharp edges" on the body work... IE non structural external corrosion, the NT explained that if someone could brush past and cut themselves this would be a fail... he went off and came back with a roll of gaffa tape, and instructed me where I needed to apply it!

So today we got the MOT albeit with a few bits of odd bodywork additions:P

Dave
Rick
Site Admin

PostPosted: Fri May 11, 2012 7:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nice bit of pre-MOT improvisation going on there Smile great to hear that it has its MOT, any plans to take it to local "do's" in the near future?

RJ
OCC & classic car merchandise (Austin, Ford ++):
https://www.redbubble.com/people/OldClassicCar/shop
ukdave2002

PostPosted: Sat May 12, 2012 7:00 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Rick wrote:
Nice bit of pre-MOT improvisation going on there Smile great to hear that it has its MOT, any plans to take it to local "do's" in the near future?

RJ

Eye the van will be at local do's ...not sure what I'm going to do about the Horseshoe /Nantwich clash Confused

I was quite proud of the kingpin "fix" 90 mins from start to finish, just shows what you can achieve when there is a deadline Very Happy Told the NT that the kingpin was made up of scrap gearbox parts.. he laughed.

Dave
Rick
Site Admin

PostPosted: Sat May 12, 2012 8:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

ukdave2002 wrote:
Rick wrote:

RJ

Eye the van will be at local do's ...not sure what I'm going to do about the Horseshoe /Nantwich clash Confused

Dave

I suppose the Horse Shoe is the kind of event where people drift in and out, so theoretically you could go there, then amble over to the Barony around mid-day?

RJ
ukdave2002

PostPosted: Sun May 13, 2012 5:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes, probably do that, I was planning on taking the MGA (in whatever state it is in!!), and the z van with possibly the un-restored 8 tourer to the Horseshoe

Could leave them there and "blast" Wink up to the barony in the Z for a few hours.

Dave

PS I'm after these bits for the Z if anyone can help Very Happy http://www.oldclassiccar.co.uk/forum/phpbb/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?p=82796#82796
buzzy bee

PostPosted: Sun May 13, 2012 8:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I look forward to seeing her! Just made a post on your wanted thread asking after pics etc, and now have seent his thread... lol

Which show has changed their dates? They never normally clash. I wonder if I am at a rally, if not like I said elsewhere I think the Horshoe will get my support, as much as I like the barony do, I like the informalness of pub do's..

Cheers

Dave
ukdave2002

PostPosted: Sun Jun 17, 2012 7:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Have completed a couple of jobs on the van.... firstly I haven't touched the engine since owning it, it runs pretty well, apart from the odd misfire when hot, nothing that would stop you running it, but needed sorting. I put it on the engine scope and the trace indicated the HT peaks and dropped very quickly on a couple of cylinders; classic high resistance HT leads. I put new leads on and the misfire has gone, and I have to say the van runs far better Very Happy

At some point in its life someone added rear windows:

Plan is to return it to a GPO Telephone Engineering van...so the windows had to go Wink , I was concerned about welding in metal, given the size and possible distortion, so for the first time used a 3M vehicle panel adhesive, this stuff is used by manufactures and in body shops to replace non structural spot welding. Made some repair panels with a joggled edge.

and came up with a way of holding them in place!

Pleased with the result; it will need a smear of filler before the paint;

Now need to sort the wings out, I did wonder if it took longer to put the windows in, than it took me to to put the metal back!! Rolling Eyes

Dave
Dave King

PostPosted: Mon Jun 18, 2012 10:11 pm    Post subject: Z Van bits Reply with quote

Hi,

I may have a couple of NOS steel wings available, but it depends on whether I can get my original rubber wings to a reasonable standard. If you're not in a hurry, I'll let you know.

Dave
Rick
Site Admin

PostPosted: Mon Jun 18, 2012 10:41 pm    Post subject: Re: Z Van bits Reply with quote

Dave King wrote:
Hi,

I may have a couple of NOS steel wings available, but it depends on whether I can get my original rubber wings to a reasonable standard. If you're not in a hurry, I'll let you know.

Dave

Welcome to the forum, it'd be neat to have a thread about your Z in the Morris category if you get a chance Smile

Ref the regulator position (other thread), I'll have a look at my Z van pics to see if I have any under-bonnet shots (unless ukdave digs some out in the meantime).

RJ
Dave King

PostPosted: Mon Jun 18, 2012 10:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks Rick,

Thanks for the welcome!

I think I managed to post on another forum as well! I'll get the hang of the site eventually...........

I've been trying to get this van restored for about 8 years, but I'll post a few pics of it's progress at some point.

Thanks again,

Dave
ukdave2002

PostPosted: Tue Jun 19, 2012 9:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

H Dave

good to hear from another GPO Z van restorer Very Happy

Have sent you a PM, be good to see some pics of your van, I love driving mine around, apart from the rear view; which even with the large van mirrors on each side is decidedly dodgy Shocked

If you are building a telephone engineers van I have some spare racking

Dave
clan chieftain

PostPosted: Fri Jun 29, 2012 2:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I passed my driving test in a Post Office Telephones Z type van. MYF 229. Amazing how you remember these details after 47 years.
Rick
Site Admin

PostPosted: Fri Jun 29, 2012 4:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It looked great driving away from the show last weekend, faded paint is definitely the way forward Smile

R
Dave King

PostPosted: Fri Jul 06, 2012 10:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Clan Chief,

Do you remember where the regulator box fitted to the bulkhead?

One of my ex-colleagues drove a Z van, he told me about the battery cut out switch that was fitted to GPO vans.
Mine has one!

Dave
ukdave2002

PostPosted: Sat Jul 07, 2012 9:27 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Dave

Sorry I thought I'd posted a pic of mine Shocked must be old age Embarassed

The GPO vans have the compensated regulator, the civy vans had the simpler cut out with the high and low charge positions on the lamp/ignition switch.

Here is where mine (RF95 compensated control box)is located, you can see the holes above it where the cut would have been fitted on the civy vehicles:

Many thanks for the pictures of the locks Smile

Rick wrote:
It looked great driving away from the show last weekend, faded paint is definitely the way forward Smile

R
Rick as a joke I did ask our local paint supplier for some "faded Bronze Green " he just asked "how faded!" told him I was joking and was planning to complete a whole re-spray,so he mixed the standard paint up, but also gave me an aerosol he'd mixed of the faded colour. I tried it ;its dull with a hint of white bloom, not a million miles off the existing paint finish, you would get away with it low down on the van... With a bit of trial and error you could get the correct faded paint mixed!

Dave
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Classic cars forum & vehicle restoration. Forum Index -> All our old cars, vans, lorries etc All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: