classic car forum header
Classic cars forum & vehicle restoration.
 FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 
Register     Posting Photographs     Privacy     F/book OCC Facebook     OCC on Patreon

Tyre Advice
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Classic cars forum & vehicle restoration. Forum Index -> General Restoration Advice
Dobbin

PostPosted: Thu Apr 24, 2014 7:50 pm    Post subject: Tyre Advice Reply with quote

I'll be looking for a couple of new tyres soon to replace a tyre that has a cracked sidewall. I'm going to replace the rear as a pair. Tyre sizes are 4.5" x 17" or 450 x 17" as some advertisers list them. I've looked at Waymaster and Excelsior due to the cost (typically around £85-£90 each). Does anyone have any experience of these brands and are they any good? I've looked at a number of online retailers and the costs are similar, some include P&P some don't so they sort of balance one against the other. Any recommendations for companies to use or does anyone know of a cheaper supplier?
Roger-hatchy

PostPosted: Thu Apr 24, 2014 8:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The cheaper / budget ones don't last.

I now have Avons all round, nearly the same mileage as the previous budget ones and no sign of wear, the others were down to the limit with almost the same milage so was false economy.

My car is only 540kg and gets driven HARD and regularly. (my daily, only, car)
PAUL BEAUMONT

PostPosted: Fri Apr 25, 2014 12:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think the clue here might be in the fact that the old tyres suffered cracked side walls. If, like me your tyres crack long before they wear out then the Excelsiors or the Waymasters are serviceable tyres. I have found that the Excelsiors flat spot a bit if the car is parked up for a while with weight on the wheels. They round off in about 2 miles as they warm up! I have just moved my Excelsiors from back to front and fitted Waymasters to the rear. They are slightly wider and with a slightly greater rolling radius. So far no sign of flat-spotting either.
I agree with Roger, if you need long mileage the Avons deliver!

Paul
Dobbin

PostPosted: Sat Apr 26, 2014 7:25 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Gents, thanks for the replies. The car currently has Avon Tourist tyres on it and from what I can gather are at least 5 years old. The car currently does a very low annual mileage and when not in use is generally on axle stands. Therefore the Excelsior or Waymaster are going to be prime candidates. I was also going to change the inner tubes as a matter of course as there condition is an unknown quantity.
Phil - Nottingham

PostPosted: Sat Apr 26, 2014 9:54 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I use Waymaster or Excelsior now on our Rover P2 as any make perishes through old age well before the tread goes
Land Rover S2 & S3
Morris Mini Traveller Mk2
Dobbin

PostPosted: Wed Apr 30, 2014 7:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

So the two tyres and inner tubes have finally been purchased. I cross referenced all the major suppliers taking into account postage etc and I eventually bought them from Vintage Tyre Supplies. Interestingly via their eBay site. As a result I saved £17.42 compared to their 'official' web site prices for the same items and all being well they should be here for the weekend. Not that I'll have time to fit them until sometime next week.
If anyone else is looking for tyres it might be worth looking on eBay before making that decision.
baconsdozen

PostPosted: Sun May 11, 2014 7:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Dobbin wrote:
So the two tyres and inner tubes have finally been purchased. I cross referenced all the major suppliers taking into account postage etc and I eventually bought them from Vintage Tyre Supplies. Interestingly via their eBay site. As a result I saved £17.42 compared to their 'official' web site prices for the same items and all being well they should be here for the weekend. Not that I'll have time to fit them until sometime next week.
If anyone else is looking for tyres it might be worth looking on eBay before making that decision.

That never really makes sense to me,why would someone charge less for something where they are having to pay a third party commission than when selling it direct where they pay none? I often phone or contact firms advertising on ebay and seeing if they will beat their ebay price,most do but some (as above) seem to work the other way round.
I bought a washing machine the other day,the local branch of a large firm gave one price after much negotiation,head offices web site gave another but on ebay they were selling it cheaper still with free delivery! No wonder town centres are dying.
Bitumen Boy

PostPosted: Mon May 12, 2014 12:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

baconsdozen wrote:
Dobbin wrote:

That never really makes sense to me,why would someone charge less for something where they are having to pay a third party commission than when selling it direct where they pay none? I often phone or contact firms advertising on ebay and seeing if they will beat their ebay price,most do but some (as above) seem to work the other way round.
I bought a washing machine the other day,the local branch of a large firm gave one price after much negotiation,head offices web site gave another but on ebay they were selling it cheaper still with free delivery! No wonder town centres are dying.

I agree, it's pure madness. However, a related situation can sometimes work to our advantage. Where you have firms that charge a flat rate for p&p (often with free carriage if spending over a certain amount) and it's out of all proportion to the cost of actually sending said item, it's always worth having a look for them on fleabay. The postage rates are regulated to an extent on there, and you'll often find the same product listed with "free postage", for the list price plus something like the actual cost to the firm of posting it. I've had some odd bits from Frost over the years and saved money with this dodge, but other firms do the same thing.
ukdave2002

PostPosted: Mon May 12, 2014 1:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I suspect it's about the volume of sale and cost of sale; if by using a site like ebay you can sell 10 times more items than by your "other" methods then there are scale economies.
Ebay may also make firms more competitive as it's quick and easy for potential purchasers to compare prices , so you may well take a lower margin in return for higher volume of sales..a fast turn around of stock at lower margin is less risky than locking up working capital in stock for long periods.
Some sellers I suspect don't have the stuff in stock, but can generally get it quick , so they will have a positive cash flow with low overheads.

"stack em high and sell the cheap" as the saying goes.

Dave
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Classic cars forum & vehicle restoration. Forum Index -> General Restoration Advice All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: