classic car forum header
Classic cars forum & vehicle restoration.
 FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 
Register     Posting Photographs     Privacy     F/book OCC Facebook     OCC on Patreon

Morris 8 Series 1 or 2 Bonnet centre hinge pin
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Classic cars forum & vehicle restoration. Forum Index -> All our old cars, vans, lorries etc
alec.elliot

PostPosted: Mon Apr 28, 2014 1:13 pm    Post subject: Morris 8 Series 1 or 2 Bonnet centre hinge pin Reply with quote

Hello Gents

Can anyone let me know if the centre hinge pin (the hinge in the centre of the bonnet) should float in both parts of the bonnet or is it fixed in one part and floating in the other part?

Sounds an odd question I am sure but I have some problems with adjustment of the bonnet to get decent parallel clearances between the rear of the bonnet and the front of the scuttle and also the front of the bonnet and the rear of the radiator cowling.

I will try shifting the radiator assembly forward and also altering the tie rods but being able to shuffle the bonnet along on its hinge pin would be helpful also.

All the best

Alec
welder

PostPosted: Mon Apr 28, 2014 9:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Alec, I've just been out to the garage to check on mine and the centre pin is fitted as a loose item so you should be able to achieve your aims.

I well remember that it took me several attempts to get a decent fit as there are so many variables. Fortunately the whole radiator/cowl assembly is mounted using slotted holes so I slackened the fixings and, using the adjustment on the tie rods, eventually managed a decent fit along the scuttle as well as the front end interface with the rad cowl/grill.

Good luck.

Ian
alec.elliot

PostPosted: Fri May 02, 2014 12:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks Welder. Looks like my hinge pin is sticking in one half of the bonnet so I cannot move it forwards or backwards on its shaft. Looks like I have some playing around to do.

All the best.

Alec
goneps

PostPosted: Sat May 03, 2014 4:33 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Alec,

The jamming is probably caused by wear forming steps in the pin.

Some time ago someone on the 8MVS suggested gripping the hinge pin in the chuck of a cordless drill to rotate it while withdrawing. Simple and ingenious.

Richard
petermeachem

PostPosted: Sat May 03, 2014 10:43 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

My Ruby is exactly the same, the hinge pin doesn't move one iota in either direction even if I try hard. Can't rotate it either. One side of the bonnet pivots freely, the other turns with the pin. I can't see anything that holds it.
bjacko

PostPosted: Sat May 03, 2014 2:54 pm    Post subject: Morris 8 Bonnet hinge Reply with quote

The bonnet hinges are like normal hinges. They have a long pin which is a neat fit but due to rust and wear it can be tight. sometimes it is held by paint. Use some WD40 or similar to lubricate it over the full length ensuring you wipe off the excess straight away and move the bonnet sides up and down a few times to get the hinge pin lubricated and it should come out. To use a drill you will need some hinge hanging out of the front or rear of both sides of the bonnet. A soft drift of aluminium or brass could be used between a hammer and the hinge pin to get it started.
All three hinge pins are the same.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Classic cars forum & vehicle restoration. Forum Index -> All our old cars, vans, lorries etc All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: