classic car forum header
Classic cars forum & vehicle restoration.
 FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 
Register     Posting Photographs     Privacy     F/book OCC Facebook     OCC on Patreon

Acquired! (1949/1950 Rover P4 'Cyclops')
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Classic cars forum & vehicle restoration. Forum Index -> All our old cars, vans, lorries etc
roverdriver

PostPosted: Mon May 05, 2014 10:30 am    Post subject: Acquired! (1949/1950 Rover P4 'Cyclops') Reply with quote

Today I took delivery of a new (to me) car. It was not very far from my home, and involved a drive of a bit under 100 miles to get to its previous owner. I had the great pleasure of driving 'Roma' home.

As you can see, she is a Rover P4 'Cyclops', and is a 1950 model, made the same year that I arrived in Australia.

The 1949/50 model year cars, featured some innovations by Rover that were subsequently dropped from the next year. Those features include rectangular instrument dials, and push-button internal door releases. I am looking forward to doing the few jobs required before getting her on the road in my name.
Rosco663

PostPosted: Mon May 05, 2014 10:45 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well done Dane - a nice acquisition indeed Very Happy

Looks to be a fairly tidy unit - shouldn't take too much effort I hope.

Cheers
Ashley

PostPosted: Mon May 05, 2014 2:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

That's a magnificent car! You're a very lucky man. I hope you have many years of fun with her. I'm jealous.

This one was local and I had no where to put it or any moment to restore it because I was doing the Healey at the time.

peter scott

PostPosted: Mon May 05, 2014 2:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nice find Dane.

I hope to see more photos when you have them. Particularly the interior.

Peter
Rick
Site Admin

PostPosted: Tue May 06, 2014 7:03 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Very nice, how did you happen across this one?

RJ
OCC & classic car merchandise (Austin, Ford ++):
https://www.redbubble.com/people/OldClassicCar/shop
roverdriver

PostPosted: Tue May 06, 2014 11:08 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Rick- The car was owned by a staunch member of the P4 Drivers Guild in Oz. He has had to dispose of his cars due to ill health, and I happened to come across it. My wife and I decided to go for a drive and pass by to see the car. I rather fell in love with it, and at the price offered, could not leave it behind. The curious thing is that the car had been advertised on E-bay some time ago, as well as a club site, and only brought nibbles. I was the only real 'looker' and I could not resist it.

The P.O. has done quite a bit of work to keep the car in good order, and considered it a rolling restoration. I intend to maintain it in as good an order as possible, but believe a car is designed to be used, so it will be, frequently. We won't be doing extended tours like Alice Springs in it, but will definitely use it for more local trips as well as some day to day driving.

Peter- The interior is not pristine. It is however IMHO tidy and useable. A PPO re-upholstered it in a quality vinyl, which looks a bit like worn leather, and is still in good condition, so for the time being that will remain.

Here are a few more photos.

peter scott

PostPosted: Tue May 06, 2014 11:14 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for the photos Dane. It does look very tidy and useable inside.
How does it compare driving relative to your later P4?

Peter

Last edited by peter scott on Wed May 07, 2014 10:32 am; edited 1 time in total
roverdriver

PostPosted: Wed May 07, 2014 10:23 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The 2.1 liter engine is noticeably less powerful that even the very worn 2.6 liter ones. Leaving the previous owners place I began to worry a bit as it was all up hill for a while, and the car lacked the get up and go of our other machines. Once the engine was nice and warm and I reached a good highway, the Cyclops ran very well and pulled very well. I maintained a good 60 mph (Victorian speed limit is 100 kph) for most of the journey home. There is one steep hill that causes the 100 engined cars to slow down quite a bit, but in the Cyclops, I had to change gear.

I am convinced that for touring, the car will be great, and even for local (rural) running it will work well. It might not be so good under stop-start conditions.

I found that I kept groping about trying to find the floor-mounted gear lever, instead of instantly grasping the column one as on the cyclops.

I am engaged doing a few fettling jobs, then off for a Roadworthy Certificate, hopefully in a few days, and then transfer into my name.

Dane.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Classic cars forum & vehicle restoration. Forum Index -> All our old cars, vans, lorries etc All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: