classic car forum header
Classic cars forum & vehicle restoration.
 FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 
Register     Posting Photographs     Privacy     F/book OCC Facebook     OCC on Patreon

Radiator Sealant
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Classic cars forum & vehicle restoration. Forum Index -> General Restoration Advice
Rootes75

PostPosted: Sat Jun 21, 2014 7:22 pm    Post subject: Radiator Sealant Reply with quote

We finally have the cooling system complete on my Commercial lorry so today will filled the system. No leaks...at first, then we noticed a drip coming from the water pump. Not its gasket but from just behind the pulley. We timed the drip, once every minute and it was a small drip too. After an hour it wasn't visible at all. My thought now is to maybe apply some kind of radiator sealant?

I've had a look round but wondered if anyone else has tried any?
D4B

PostPosted: Sat Jun 21, 2014 7:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Perhaps it has one of those felt type seals, which now that it's got wet again will seal very nicely? If you can avoid any additives it is better.... keep an eye on it. I only know this because it happened on my Peugeot D4B which has a seal like here:

http://www.serie04.com/fr/refroidissement/1864-xxxxx-1.html
Rick
Site Admin

PostPosted: Sat Jun 21, 2014 7:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'd be inclined to see how it goes also.

K-Seal works well on small rad leaks, not sure how it'd go on with a leaky pump mind!

Photos of the lorry now required Wink

RJ
OCC & classic car merchandise (Austin, Ford ++):
https://www.redbubble.com/people/OldClassicCar/shop
Jim.Walker

PostPosted: Wed Jul 02, 2014 7:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Older vehicles usually have a rotating carbon seal backed up with a spring to allow the shaft to rotate without water loss.
If yours is that type and the seal is faulty - either a damaged or cracked face, or the loading spring is broken, replacement is the only cure.
However after standing idle for a long time the face on which the carbon seal works can corrode and/or the spring can be stuck in "hardened goo".
These problems may solve themselves as parts once more in motion bed in and the leaks MAY stop. Only time will tell.
Leak-cure compounds are unlikely to help because a leak from behind the pulley (or through a small hole under some pumps) will be from the rotating seal and anti-leak compounds generally only have any effect on static leaks like gaskets etc.
The water pumps on older vehicles are generally quite easily dismantled though a press is handy. When I was a lad in a garage in the 1950s exchange water pumps had not been introduced and we frequently dismantled them to fit new bearings, springs or seals.
My last pump overhaul in the 1990s was from a 1.5 BMC diesel in a boat. Genuine parts were seemingly non-existent but I managed to put a decent face on the seal with a piece of production paper on a flat surface, found a suitable uncorroded spring in the scrap box and a very helpful (one man) bearing supplier managed to trace and supply a genuine cylinder (tube) bearing.
The pump was still woking OK well into the 2000s when I last saw the boat.
Jim.
peter scott

PostPosted: Thu Jul 03, 2014 8:26 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

What ever you do never use any radiator sealant that you pour into the coolant. It will be much easier to fix properly than desoldering/resoldering the top and bottom of the radiator to clear the tubes blocked by sealant.

Peter
Rootes75

PostPosted: Thu Jul 03, 2014 9:22 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Its been well over a week now and I have been down the yard every couple of days to check for leaks. There have been none for over a week now so my thought is that its a felt seal that once wet has sealed up. The lorry has been off the road and drained since 1965 so it would have been very dry!
baconsdozen

PostPosted: Fri Jul 04, 2014 9:04 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

A retired motor engineer used to live near me,he always put a cap full of brake fluid in the cooling water,he reckoned it provided lubrication for the pump seal. Anyone else ever hear of this?
peter scott

PostPosted: Fri Jul 04, 2014 9:45 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

baconsdozen wrote:
A retired motor engineer used to live near me,he always put a cap full of brake fluid in the cooling water,he reckoned it provided lubrication for the pump seal. Anyone else ever hear of this?

I can never remember the "don't ever mix" sense but this comes into the selection of mineral or vegetable oils and synthetic or natural rubbers.

Peter
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Classic cars forum & vehicle restoration. Forum Index -> General Restoration Advice All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: