classic car forum header
Classic cars forum & vehicle restoration.
 FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 
Register     Posting Photographs     Privacy     F/book OCC Facebook     OCC on Patreon

Armstrong shocks - any help would be appreciated
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Classic cars forum & vehicle restoration. Forum Index -> All our old cars, vans, lorries etc
MattF

PostPosted: Sat Apr 20, 2013 7:14 am    Post subject: Armstrong shocks - any help would be appreciated Reply with quote

Hey guys, need to know what sort of hydraulic oil i can use in the shock absorbers of my 36 morris eight? They are the pear shaped ones as apposed to the 38s that had a more modern armstrong shocks, don't know if that changes much. im 99% sure they are ok but just empty Sad
Cheers, Matt
TribalElder

PostPosted: Tue Apr 23, 2013 12:09 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think most people use 30W. As for the possible need to purchase new shocks, send them to Peter Caldwell at World Wide Imports http://www.nosimport.com/ for rebuild. When Peter gets through with them, they are better than new and come with a lifetime warranty.

Pete also changes the seal from the original packing to lip type

Ian

PS, I overhauled my Shocks (Morris 8 Series E '46) and it makes a huge difference to the ride, no longer get "Seasick" Wink

It's hard to run like an Emu
When you are girt by Numbats
Bob T

PostPosted: Fri Apr 26, 2013 1:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi,
I have a 1936 Series 1 Morris 8 with the same type of shockers as you. I refilled with SAE 140 oil. I did lots of research at the time but can't remember where I got the info from, 2 years later they are still working fine.
Cheers
Bob
goneps

PostPosted: Sat Aug 23, 2014 12:22 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Resuscitating this thread rather belatedly, having stripped and overhauled a complete set of Armstrong 'Pears' obtained from various sources for my Series I Eight Tourer they were filled with ISO32 hydraulic oil—Castrol 10W motorcycle fork oil, to be specific. This gives a very satisfactory and compliant ride for such a light car.

Each unit holds approximately 330cc. when filled for the first time.

Richard
bjacko

PostPosted: Sat Aug 23, 2014 4:14 am    Post subject: shock Absorber oil Reply with quote

There are several oils that are suitable. Castrol Hi Spin AWS68, Shock Oil 1 or Penrite 68.
goneps

PostPosted: Sat Aug 23, 2014 6:56 am    Post subject: Re: shock Absorber oil Reply with quote

bjacko wrote:
There are several oils that are suitable. Castrol Hi Spin AWS68, Shock Oil 1 or Penrite 68.

Sorry bjacko, but I beg to differ. ISO68 has more than twice the viscosity of ISO32, which would be far too much. Even Penrite Shock Oil 1 (ISO46) has 50% more resistance to flow, which in my experience would still be too great for an open-bodied Eight, though possibly might be acceptable in a heavier Saloon. Bearing in mind that leaf springs possess inherent friction damping characteristics, very little effort is required from the dampers in this application.

Since according to another thread you intended to convert to telescopic dampers you'll probably be accustomed to an excessively hard ride. Pears with a suitable grade of oil simply transform the car.

As for the SAE140 someone suggested, roughly equivalent to ISO460, I should be surprised if the units were not completely rigid. In one unit I stripped, one cylinder had sheared off at the pivot, quite likely the result of too thick an oil being used.

Richard
bjacko

PostPosted: Mon Aug 25, 2014 6:32 am    Post subject: armstrong shock absorbers Reply with quote

The Classic and Sportscar Magazine November 1992 article "Dampers" overhauled the shock absorbers and filled them with SAE 140 oil.
goneps

PostPosted: Mon Aug 25, 2014 6:52 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I trust they've been enjoying the teeth-rattling ride.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Classic cars forum & vehicle restoration. Forum Index -> All our old cars, vans, lorries etc All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: