classic car forum header
Classic cars forum & vehicle restoration.
 FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 
Register     Posting Photographs     Privacy     F/book OCC Facebook     OCC on Patreon

VALIIDITY OF MoT CERTIFICATES
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Classic cars forum & vehicle restoration. Forum Index -> Classic & Vintage Cars, Lorries, Vans, Motorcycles etc - General Chat
Ronniej

PostPosted: Mon Oct 27, 2014 11:42 am    Post subject: VALIIDITY OF MoT CERTIFICATES Reply with quote

This enquiry is also relevant to modern cars.
It is well known that a car can be presented for an MoT test within a month of the expiry of the existing certificate. If it passes, the new certificate will be given an expiry date one year on from the expiry of the existing one.
This is perfectly simple but I am trying to establish what happens if the car fails. I have been given diametrically opposite information from sources that are normally well informed.
On one hand, I am being told the existing certificate remains valid and the car can be driven legally. (Provided, of course, the reason for failing would not in itself make it an offence to drive the car.)
On the other hand I am told that a fail will invalidate the existing certificate.
This does not make sense to me as it would make it illegal to drive the car away from the test station and deprive the owner of a few days grace to have the faults rectified.
Can anyone say for certain what the law about this?
MikeEdwards

PostPosted: Mon Oct 27, 2014 12:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes, the law is clearly outlined on the relevant web site ( https://www.gov.uk/getting-an-mot/after-the-test ) :

"You can still drive your vehicle if it fails the test and its existing MOT certificate is still valid (ie you got it tested before the expiry date). However, you might be stopped by police and prosecuted if your vehicle is unroadworthy."
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Classic cars forum & vehicle restoration. Forum Index -> Classic & Vintage Cars, Lorries, Vans, Motorcycles etc - General Chat All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: