classic car forum header
Classic cars forum & vehicle restoration.
 FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 
Register     Posting Photographs     Privacy     F/book OCC Facebook     OCC on Patreon

Original number plate
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Classic cars forum & vehicle restoration. Forum Index -> General Restoration Advice
Riley1489

PostPosted: Sun Nov 23, 2014 8:50 am    Post subject: Original number plate Reply with quote

My 1960 Riley 1.5 had it's original number plate transferred back in 1995 to a Mercedes. Can't see this listed at the DVLA (hopefully the car has been officially scrapped) and just wondered if anyone has had any success getting their original registration number reallocated to the original car and what tortuous route you have to go through at the Ministry of Red Tape.....i.e. the DVLA.
ukdave2002

PostPosted: Sun Nov 23, 2014 9:06 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Try entering the reg into something like an online tyre site or Halfords parts search, you don't need to know the make of vehicle, should give you an idea if it's beed transferred to something else.

Dave
Riley1489

PostPosted: Sun Nov 23, 2014 9:17 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Dave

Thanks for the great suggestion. Used National Tyre Service. Apparently, it's now on a 1998 Porsche and according to the DVLA taxed until 2015. So, how it was transferred again from the Merc (I've all the original paperwork) to the Porsche I'll never know as I thought it was just a one time transfer that was permitted.

Anyhow, at least I don't have to go into battle with the DVLA on re-allocating it back to Mabel. Shame really.
colwyn500

PostPosted: Sun Nov 23, 2014 10:13 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Graham, it's a pain trying to retrieve your number but once it's transferred it would have to be bought from the current owner to get it back. You need documentary evidence and a letter from the owners' club before DVLA will accept a link to a lost number and if it was legally transferred to another car then it's not lost unfortunately. Sad. I suspect that even if the car it's on is scrapped the owner would pay to retain it for future sale or use. If scrapped without doing that it would probably be gone forever or retained by DVLA for a premium sale.
ukdave2002

PostPosted: Sun Nov 23, 2014 1:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

colwyn500 wrote:
Graham, it's a pain trying to retrieve your number but once it's transferred it would have to be bought from the current owner to get it back. You need documentary evidence and a letter from the owners' club before DVLA will accept a link to a lost number and if it was legally transferred to another car then it's not lost unfortunately. Sad. I suspect that even if the car it's on is scrapped the owner would pay to retain it for future sale or use. If scrapped without doing that it would probably be gone forever or retained by DVLA for a premium sale.

If Graham did manage to purchase the original number back, he would simply be able to transfer it to the Riley or any other vehicle for that matter (as long as the plate doesn't make the vehicle appear younger).
A number can be kept on retention for a indefinite period. I don't know what the DVLA's position would be if a vehicle was scrapped with the plate? presumably the current owner loses rights to the number at the point of scrapping?

There must be a load of numbers in number plate purgatory;on the DVLA system, no MOT, vehicle not officially scrapped..... but probably is.... Confused

Dave
Bitumen Boy

PostPosted: Sun Nov 23, 2014 2:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

ukdave2002 wrote:

There must be a load of numbers in number plate purgatory;on the DVLA system, no MOT, vehicle not officially scrapped..... but probably is.... Confused

Serves the DVLA right for their own stupidity, I reckon. Did they really think that if they simply removed the tick box on the V5 for the keeper to declare scrapping then people wouldn't break their own vehicles any more? End of life vehicles are no more likely to go to a registered environmentally friendly recycling centre - or whatever the official term is - than they were before. People are still merrily scrapping cars in yards, sheds and garages and simply declaring SORN every year - or, worse, flogging on the dead car's V5 and identity to some dodgy character in the pub or on the internet. Most of Baldrick's cunning plans are clever compared to the pony this government comes up with Rolling Eyes Rolling Eyes Rolling Eyes
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Classic cars forum & vehicle restoration. Forum Index -> General Restoration Advice All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: