classic car forum header
Classic cars forum & vehicle restoration.
 FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 
Register     Posting Photographs     Privacy     F/book OCC Facebook     OCC on Patreon

brush painting my 52 moggy
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Classic cars forum & vehicle restoration. Forum Index -> Bodywork & Paint Restoration
rjt10/4

PostPosted: Mon Dec 01, 2014 3:01 am    Post subject: brush painting my 52 moggy Reply with quote

im looking to repaint my 1952 moggy mm with coachpaint my question is my car is part undercoated and rest is original paint I don't wish to do a bare metal repaint so what is the best way to proceed do I just key the original paint and top coat or do I key and prime before topcoat any help appreciated
Old Wrench

PostPosted: Mon Dec 01, 2014 12:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

With much respect, unless you are a fully experienced coach painter, used to achieving a superb finish and flash lacquering afterwards, then don't!

It will look like a bag of bolts.

If you must brushpaint, then probably Hammerite Smoothrite will provide the best result: but expensive!

Here is how to tell what paint type the manufacturer used, originally, from the build plate:

Prefix: SMM. (Series Morris Minor)

MNR (Minor) /

S = Synobel paint

SYN = Synthetic paint

No designation = Cellulose paint

Clip about SynobelPaint here:

http://trove.nla.gov.au/ndp/del/article/94814490
norustplease

PostPosted: Tue Dec 02, 2014 8:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Not necessarily, roller it and use something like Rustoleum. This website document explains all, plus try looking on YouTube.

http://forum.club8090.co.uk/viewtopic.php?t=18751

I rollered this R4 a few years ago. It looked great, as with all painting, it is mainly down to the prep work.

Boring Tucson SUV
ukdave2002

PostPosted: Tue Dec 02, 2014 8:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Old Wrench wrote:
If you must brushpaint, then probably Hammerite Smoothrite

Paint a car in Hammerite ? Ever tried cutting Hammeritr?....That would be the last paint to use, much better proper brush paints as illustrated by the renault job.

Dave
D4B

PostPosted: Tue Dec 02, 2014 10:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hammerite & Smoothrite: please don't, but I agree it is possible with the right preparation & techniques, just don't ask me what they are tho Embarassed
bob2

PostPosted: Wed Dec 03, 2014 12:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have rollered single pack paints too mixing them with hardener for a 3:1 ratio so that it does not dry too fast!!
If the preparation is good all you will have to do is sand the orange peel off and buff the paint!!
I have done my hunter's boot and engine bay like that and the results were not bad at all, my surf blue mini's engine bay had a little more attention and preparation put into it and the results were better, so its possible and doable!!
I have used all normal automotive paints on the mini's engine bay, etch primer brushed on two coats then sanded with 320, 2 coats of filler/primer rollered on than sanded with 320/400, 4 or 5 coats of surf blue single pack paint with sanding in between coats. Then a final sand with 2000, water and liquid soap and some g3 compound and its ready to go.

Old Wrench

PostPosted: Wed Dec 03, 2014 1:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

ukdave2002 wrote:
Old Wrench wrote:
If you must brushpaint, then probably Hammerite Smoothrite

Paint a car in Hammerite ? Ever tried cutting Hammeritr?....That would be the last paint to use, much better proper brush paints as illustrated by the renault job.

Dave

It was meant a wee bit tongue in cheek........
Old Wrench

PostPosted: Wed Dec 03, 2014 1:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

From interest, I did quite a but of searching on US sites where the "Shade Tree" mechanics use Rustoleum and rollers. Seems there is rather a lot of work needed to achieve a halfway decent finish: and colours fade, rather quickly, apparently.

In the past I have used synthetics on two cars: and a few vans.

In the early 1970s, Valentine introduced a half hour air drying synthetic called "Valflash". It's attraction was a one coat finish and tack dry in 30 minutes.

I repaired a rather nice insurance write off (clean book) MG Magnette Farina, which had been hit dead frontal when parked outside my regular customer's house! Easy cheap repair and I painted the car in Valflash, post metalwork.

Problem is such paints always look slightly plastic gloss. Fine for vans but not for decent cars.

However, it is a cheap and quick way to paint a vehicle: I even tried Valflash metallic on a nice little A30, for a bit of fun! Ford light green metallic as used then on Capri and 1600E etc.

Far quicker (and cheaper) than using rollered Rustoleum, according to what I discovered, last evening when surfing.

Still, each to his own.
bob2

PostPosted: Thu Dec 04, 2014 11:57 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

As old wrench says I find its much more time consuming and I do not think I would do a whole car this way but when you do not have the place to do it and do not want to fork out to someone else, there is no choice.
Old Wrench

PostPosted: Thu Dec 04, 2014 3:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

bob2 wrote:
As old wrench says I find its much more time consuming and I do not think I would do a whole car this way but when you do not have the place to do it and do not want to fork out to someone else, there is no choice.

Machine Mart do a range of quite cheap temporary garages, which have been and are useful as a temporary spray booth!

Erect over a decent tarp and the dust problems are solved.

Hire a space heater (bottled gas, diesel or even electricity) and away you go. Would need some decent extraction, however.

The main problem with DIY spray painting has always been dust: most enthusiast's workshops are pretty crammed with equipment, spares and bits which harbour dust.

Solve the dust problem and then, if you must, you can use half hour air drying synthetic: far cheaper than cellulose and only needs a light "Spatter" coat to provide a good bond and one full coat to finish.

All provided you are happy with the plastic sheen.

Remembering most automotive finishes since the late 1940s have been oven-baked, including Alkyd and Acrylic paints.
bob2

PostPosted: Thu Dec 04, 2014 4:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I forsee one problem though!!!!
The fact I'm in Malta and do not have any outer space bar our roof top!!!
Laughing
I do have 3 garages but only one equipped with electricity and its crammed with things lke 2 of my cars, 6 or 7 bicycles, my children's ride ons and lots of parts, wood etc!!
So its definately a no way in there!!
Old Wrench

PostPosted: Thu Dec 04, 2014 8:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

bob2 wrote:
I forsee one problem though!!!!
The fact I'm in Malta and do not have any outer space bar our roof top!!!
Laughing
I do have 3 garages but only one equipped with electricity and its crammed with things lke 2 of my cars, 6 or 7 bicycles, my children's ride ons and lots of parts, wood etc!!
So its definately a no way in there!!

Have it sent to you!

And, furthermore, find some open space!

BTW: what ever happened to Bob1?
Laughing
bob2

PostPosted: Fri Dec 05, 2014 9:47 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

hmmm that's a good question!!!
maybe something for CSI to investigate!!!!

In general I do paint interior, engine bays and maybe small repairs on my cars but when its time to do major outer bodywork I will usually pass it on to the pros!!
trampintransit

PostPosted: Thu Feb 12, 2015 10:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Never seen that Rustoleum stuff. I'd be interested to try it ...can't even see it on ebay? Nice job on that Renault...well done.

I wanted to do a quick cheap job on my van last year. rubbed the whole thing down with 600, then ONE coat of Deep Bronze Green satin finish, applied with a gloss roller. Same colour the army use for landrovers and the like. Incredible, hardly a show finish but for one days work, no masking, anda total expenditure for paint and consumables of about fifty quid.Like I say, hardly brilliant but considering the speed and ease the difference is great compared to how rubbish it looked before!!

The paint came from a supplier on ebay called something like paints4trade or something similar.

[img][/img]
[img][/img]

Last edited by trampintransit on Thu Feb 12, 2015 11:25 pm; edited 6 times in total
goneps

PostPosted: Thu Feb 12, 2015 10:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

trampintransit wrote:
How do I post pictures?

http://www.oldclassiccar.co.uk/forum/phpbb/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?t=2454
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Classic cars forum & vehicle restoration. Forum Index -> Bodywork & Paint Restoration All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: