classic car forum header
Classic cars forum & vehicle restoration.
 FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 
Register     Posting Photographs     Privacy     F/book OCC Facebook     OCC on Patreon

Dartford crossing changes
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Classic cars forum & vehicle restoration. Forum Index -> Classic & Vintage Cars, Lorries, Vans, Motorcycles etc - General Chat
Richard H

PostPosted: Wed Dec 31, 2014 8:30 pm    Post subject: Dartford crossing changes Reply with quote

Some of you will be aware of the removal of the tolls at the Dartford crossing which have been taking place this month. The revenue is being collected by an automated system, via Number Plate recognition cameras. You have 24 hours after the crossing to pay online or by phone, or you can set up a pre-paid account, which I did as I use the crossing regularly, when going to an from university. It seemed easy enough, and I added on the details of my three roadworthy cars, my A35, A40 Somerset and Maestro.

Now I've made a couple of crossings in the Maestro between 6am and 10pm when they charge, and my account has been quickly debited and the crossings listed. HOWEVER, I brought my A35 up from Kent where I've been storing it on Monday morning, and the crossing hasn't been listed, nor has the money been taken for the crossing. It does say it can take up to 48 hours for crossings to be listed, but it's well past that now.

I can see two possible reasons for this.

1: The ANPR cameras used cannot read the old style black and silver plates.

2: Cars registered on disabled tax are exempt from the charge. Is the computer confused, thinking my car is on disabled tax because it's exempt?

Not complaining about it (definitely not!), just thought you'd be interested to hear what I've discovered!
Ray White

PostPosted: Thu Jan 01, 2015 1:27 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I would think it's the ANPR cameras not able to read the old type plates.

At least you have made the effort to pay; I read today that about 1 in 6 haven't paid.
ka

PostPosted: Thu Jan 01, 2015 9:15 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

There are a few exceptions, motorcycles, three-wheelers, and disabled in 'tax free' cars. but the conclusions drawn on black\white number plates are interesting.
And I am also not surprised that 1 in 6 have not paid, despite the low key advertising, if you live North of Watford, it seems to have been ignored by the local press and television. I only picked it up through a forum, and have set up a pre-pay account, which worked quite smoothly when we popped south for a Christmas shop in France.
I also wonder, if you have not set up an account, disappear into Europe for a Christmas/New-Year break, or even longer, and you are not IT literate or do not have access to a pad etc, how do you pay your fee by midnight the next day?

Better three than four.
Bitumen Boy

PostPosted: Thu Jan 01, 2015 9:31 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I suspect you're right about the cameras being unable to read old style plates. In the recent past I was doing some contract stocktaking work for "a well known supermarket chain" who use ANPR cameras to enforce maximum stays in the carparks at some, but not all, of their stores - and not always the obvious ones! The system is that staff and contractors have to sign in their car numbers on a touch screen gadget in the store, but sometimes of course we forget to ask whether a particular store has cameras or not. Anyway, on a couple of occasions where I've ended up using the Herald my workmates have been ticketed but I've escaped Smile so I've had suspicions on this one for a while. Probably they could be made to read old style plates but the thinking is that there are so few vehicles on the road using them that it wouldn't be worth the extra investment to catch a handful every year.

If the Severn bridges ever go onto a similar system I can see a boom in classic ownership in Monmouthshire and Glamorgan within a very short period Wink
JohnDale

PostPosted: Thu Jan 01, 2015 12:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I went over the Dartford crossing (fairly) recently going South to collect a car. On returning on the Saturday through the tunnel, the bridge was bumper to bumper as far as the eye could see(well it was sunny) I thought the M25 was the car park but the Dartford bridge must be close. Two novelties for me.
Long time since I saw as many cars at once & the sun - not used to either!
Happy new Year,JD.
Brian M

PostPosted: Thu Jan 01, 2015 12:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I had used the crossing 6 times since the new system was introduced and the charge had been debited within an hour or so.

I was selling my old Jeep Cherokee on ebay and a purchaser came to my house in Essex, paid in full and drove away to his home in Kent. As he left I jumped on my computer and removed the car from the list of vehicles I had registered with Dart Charge at 15.30. I was then charged for a southbound crossing at 16.15. I phoned the Dart charge number and they admitted this was a possible error in their system and I was told I would get a refund - 10 days later I am still waiting!

But it has to be said that south bound queues have almost disappeared as we cruise through a slight kink in the road rather than stopping at the old booths.
Old Wrench

PostPosted: Thu Jan 01, 2015 8:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

We travel regularly backwards and forwards to la belle France.

Brian will have sympatico with my next comment!

We leave Essex and clear Dartford Crossing before 06.00AM (Free! Whoopee!) mainly to avoid the appalling traffic on the A 13 and M 25: and now, increasingly, the M 20.

Coming back, however, is a whole different matter!
Riley Blue

PostPosted: Thu Jan 01, 2015 10:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I drove back from France in my Riley in September. On arriving at the crossing I could see the traffic northwards was so bad I continued on to the Blackwall Tunnel, no hold ups at all!

Having looked into how the new charging scheme at the Dartford Crossing works I discovered it's possible to pay at local shops all over the country including one a hundred yards from where I live in Chesterfield.

1963 Riley 1.5
1965 Riley 1.5
ka

PostPosted: Fri Jan 02, 2015 8:07 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I also cringed at the introduction of the 'congestion' charge to the tunnel/bridge. Interesting, particularly when travelling clockwise, that the congestion was caused by the collecting of the fee to pay for the construction of the route, where there is now little or no congestion.
Will anti-clockwise follow the same system?

Better three than four.
Brian M

PostPosted: Fri Jan 02, 2015 9:22 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Regarding the Northbound barriers. I visited the Kent Police display in Bluewater and was dismayed to see that the barriers will remain, but will be raised all the time - EXCEPT- (and I kid you not) when an over-height vehicle has to be turned around just before the tunnels. Surely height warnings could start two miles back on the M25 to get them diverted before then? And if a vehicle reaches the tunnels and causes chaos for all the other users, then the driver should be fined £10k plus.
ka

PostPosted: Fri Jan 02, 2015 2:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

So a linked question. I am sure we must have someone who built/designed/works with the number plate reading camera's. Can they read black/silver, black/white number plates, and I assume they are forward facing, so motorcycles are ok (no front plate), but is there such a thing as rearward reading, and do they work?
And a final question whilst we are on the topic, average speed camera's in road works and the A9, do they average between each consecutive camera, miss some or beginning to end?
I already know the answer to the other question: 42.

Better three than four.
Old Wrench

PostPosted: Fri Jan 02, 2015 2:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Brian M wrote:
Regarding the Northbound barriers. I visited the Kent Police display in Bluewater and was dismayed to see that the barriers will remain, but will be raised all the time - EXCEPT- (and I kid you not) when an over-height vehicle has to be turned around just before the tunnels. Surely height warnings could start two miles back on the M25 to get them diverted before then? And if a vehicle reaches the tunnels and causes chaos for all the other users, then the driver should be fined £10k plus.

Reminds me of a very amusing incident at the Eurotunnel terminal at Coquelles.

Now, unlike the UK side, vehicles assuming they are under the height limit travel through three separate barriers: the first is quite mild. The second is a bit of 4" sq. steel tube, hanging on swinging chains.

However, the third is the killer! A fixed, solid steel bit of girder box section, nicely welded to large fixed steel posts and mounted in concrete!

In front of Mr Wrench and I was a Belgian registered Citroen or similar small but rather chubby van. It proceeded at a brisk pace, not clearing the first two barriers: and then destroyed the roof on the third!

Shocked

Nice crunching and metal bending sounds.....

The driver didn't even stop!

I was forced to conclude it was not his van!

Laughing

P.S. Trying to panel beat out a roof never works: it is convenient to sight line. I still wonder if he admitted his error to the owner and how much it cost to put right!

Rolling Eyes
Brian M

PostPosted: Fri Jan 02, 2015 3:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

ka wrote:
. Can they read black/silver, black/white number plates.

Certainly speed cameras can read black/silver plates, I have an endorsement to prove it Embarassed

But I have had trouble in France and Holland at campsite barriers where my plates are not readable.
ka

PostPosted: Sun Jan 04, 2015 11:13 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for this, I almost envy you having a classic that can speed!(but not in this circumstance)

Better three than four.
Old Wrench

PostPosted: Sun Jan 04, 2015 8:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Few classic cars are unable to speed: even an Austin Seven!

All depends on the road and how long it is!
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Classic cars forum & vehicle restoration. Forum Index -> Classic & Vintage Cars, Lorries, Vans, Motorcycles etc - General Chat All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: