classic car forum header
Classic cars forum & vehicle restoration.
 FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 
Register     Posting Photographs     Privacy     F/book OCC Facebook     OCC on Patreon

Seen something you cannot believe?
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Classic cars forum & vehicle restoration. Forum Index -> Classic & Vintage Cars, Lorries, Vans, Motorcycles etc - General Chat
OuBallie

PostPosted: Thu Apr 30, 2015 9:26 am    Post subject: Seen something you cannot believe? Reply with quote

On Tuesday this is exactly what happened to me.

Family member phoned on Tuesday saying he has had a clacking noise coming from the O/S front on his 407 diesel, 2 years old with 80,000 on the clock, and could he pop round and use my trolley jack to have a look see.

Front wheel off and we poked around, me thinking a rubber bush had split but couldn't see or feel anything.
Then he got hold of the jack's handle and wedging it in below the calliper, heaved, and my eyes popped and I froze.

THE CALLIPER SWUNG CLEAR, PIVOTING on THE TOP BOLT!

The bottom bolt had gone AWOL!

It had been making that clacking noise for the last 3 months every time he went over a bump, so that's all the time with the conditions of our roads now, and only on Tuesday decided to investigate.

Well, I duly gave him a mouthful for not checking as soon as he heard the noise.
"But it's only done 80,000 miles" was his only response.
I just shook my head in utter dismay.

I've never seen or heard of this happening.
Oh, he is getting a 'Particulate filter nearly blocked' message on start up, asking what that's all about, so told him to Google DPF.
Then told him to get onto a quite bit of road, yes we do still have here in Norfolk, and 4000/4500rpm in 3rd for the 30min both ways to try and start clearing the unit.
Do any salesmen/women warn new owners about these expensive to replace parts and how to prevent then clogging up?

Geoff - Two Carport roof panels blew off yesterday! ^%*} wind Mad
1967 Morris Minor 2-door
2007 Fiat Doblò MultiJet (It carries the spares etc)
Model Engineering
Bitumen Boy

PostPosted: Thu Apr 30, 2015 12:51 pm    Post subject: Re: Seen something you cannot believe? Reply with quote

OuBallie wrote:

Do any salesmen/women warn new owners about these expensive to replace parts and how to prevent then clogging up?

Of course not. The sooner the part needs replacing the better, it keeps the fitters busy and rakes in £££'s... Wink
ukdave2002

PostPosted: Thu Apr 30, 2015 1:42 pm    Post subject: Re: Seen something you cannot believe? Reply with quote

OuBallie wrote:
Family member phoned on Tuesday saying he has had a clacking noise coming from the O/S front on his 407 diesel, 2 years old with 80,000 on the clock,

I'm not surprised you gave him a mouthful, there is a minimum of 2 years ulimited mileage warranty on Pugs and most have the addition 3rd year, he could have just called the dealer and got it sorted Rolling Eyes

Dave
Peter_L

PostPosted: Thu Apr 30, 2015 5:24 pm    Post subject: Re: Seen something you cannot believe? Reply with quote

OuBallie wrote:

Now that does take some believing ... Laughing
Bitumen Boy

PostPosted: Thu Apr 30, 2015 8:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Getting back on topic, I saw some particularly bad driving a few years ago that still makes me shake my head. Coming back up from Abergavenny, I narrowly avoided some idiot who, having taken the wrong road at a roundabout, decided to have another go at it by reversing back on to the roundabout Shocked Shocked Shocked Shocked
alanb

PostPosted: Thu Apr 30, 2015 9:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I recently encountered this piece of poor driving. Picture a large rounderbout on dual carriageway slip lane to the left 2 lanes clearly marked straight on one lane clearly marked with arrow pointing to the right, car in right hand lane indicating left and trying to cross three lanes of heavy traffic, instead of just going round the rounderbout.

Morris 8 two seater
OuBallie

PostPosted: Fri May 01, 2015 10:24 am    Post subject: Re: Seen something you cannot believe? Reply with quote

peterwpg wrote:
OuBallie wrote:

Now that does take some believing ... Laughing

Dear me, but where DO all these smart arses come from Confused Laughing
Or should that be asses? Rolling Eyes

Geoff - Keeping stum now so there! Evil or Very Mad
1967 Morris Minor 2-door
2007 Fiat Doblò MultiJet (It carries the spares etc)
Model Engineering
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Classic cars forum & vehicle restoration. Forum Index -> Classic & Vintage Cars, Lorries, Vans, Motorcycles etc - General Chat All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: