classic car forum header
Classic cars forum & vehicle restoration.
 FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 
Register     Posting Photographs     Privacy     F/book OCC Facebook     OCC on Patreon

Electric motor help needed
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Classic cars forum & vehicle restoration. Forum Index -> Electrical Restoration
peppiB

PostPosted: Tue Jul 21, 2015 9:34 pm    Post subject: Electric motor help needed Reply with quote

Sorry this is not a car, but it is transport - my wheelchair!

I had to install a new brush holder on the nearside motor of my wheelchair. Motor apart, new holder in place, reassemble. Pushed the control lever forward and the chair shot backwards. Oh dear, or words to that effect, I have put the magnetic sleeve on the wrong way round. Motor apart again ... and the magnetic sleeve will only fit 1 way - the way I had it. No other wires were touched, nothing else moved. What could have caused the reverse in polarity of the motor?? It has been apart previously for cleaning and there have been no problems.

Problem urgent as I rely on wheelchair to get me around and help me look after the girl/woman in my care

Yes, there is a local wheelchair engineer, but £75 call out and £100 an hour labour is just a tad expensive for this pensioner
DM

PostPosted: Tue Jul 21, 2015 10:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

If the magnet will only fit in one position, you must have reversed the two brush connections.

If the brushs holders are mounted on the end plate of the motor you may have re-fitted the end plate 180 deg out of position.

Or is it possible that the wires from the brushes are long enough for you to have reversed the position of the brushes ?
peppiB

PostPosted: Tue Jul 21, 2015 10:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi DM

Only 1 brush holder was changed, and the wire was just transdfered to the new unit. The other brush holder/wire wasn't touched or moved. It is the inner (ie the one pointing towards the middle of the chair) brush and the end plate was refitted accordingly

Got me puzzled .... and grounded!!

Just thinking - would fitting the magnetic cover 180 degrees out have the same effect?
DM

PostPosted: Tue Jul 21, 2015 10:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes, if you fit the field magnets 180 deg out the motor will run backwards.
Peter_L

PostPosted: Wed Jul 22, 2015 12:21 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hello Peppi. I hope you can get the problem resolved.

I have become an avid user of my digital camera for a wide range of repairs, restorations and renovations. At zero cost per image, (after camera cost) it is very reassuring to have an image of what it looked like before it became pieces.

Regards

Peter
peppiB

PostPosted: Wed Jul 22, 2015 8:44 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks Peter - one of these years I will get wise enough to mark/photograph things! Spent 5 decades earning a crust taking photos but rarely touch a camera now, only the odd occasion I manage to get out along the river to photograph feathered birds (although some of the hen parties who inhabit this area on a weekend fit into that category)

DM - I will try rotating the magnets and see what happens. Presumably the alignment of the magnets determines whether the motor is a left hand or right hand unit.

Her ladyship medicated and fed so as soon as I am up to it, back to the challenge of the motor
DM

PostPosted: Wed Jul 22, 2015 9:30 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Fitting the magnets 180 deg out swaps the north and south poles so the motor will run the opposite direction.

There are three ways of reversing a fixed magnet dc motor -

Reverse the supply.
Reverse the connections to the brushes.
Reverse the field magnets (on a 2 pole motor which is what you will have).

You have managed to find the third option by accident.
peppiB

PostPosted: Wed Jul 22, 2015 2:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi DM

Have found another way to reverse the polarity. If the brushes aren't exactly on the same alignment then the motor will run backwards! Managed to shear one of the long retaining bolts, so called in at a small motor repair place and he guided me through the charcteristics of the things. Came home and checked and the brush I had been working on was ever so slightly off square. Sadly he didn't have a bolt so am still screwed! Can get threaded rod but have to buy 10 metres and I only need 17 cm!
Bitumen Boy

PostPosted: Wed Jul 22, 2015 5:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

peppiB wrote:
Can get threaded rod but have to buy 10 metres and I only need 17 cm!

That sounds excessive. It sounds like you know the thread you're after, have you had a look on fleabay? I've often found it the best source for odd bits of hardware in sensible quantities Smile
peppiB

PostPosted: Wed Jul 22, 2015 7:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Bitumen Boy wrote:
peppiB wrote:
Can get threaded rod but have to buy 10 metres and I only need 17 cm!

That sounds excessive. It sounds like you know the thread you're after, have you had a look on fleabay? I've often found it the best source for odd bits of hardware in sensible quantities Smile

Thanks for that. 2 x 20cm lengths ordered
MikeEdwards

PostPosted: Thu Jul 23, 2015 10:25 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

10m sounds like it would present more problems than it solves - you'd need a pretty big van to take it home.
Bitumen Boy

PostPosted: Thu Jul 23, 2015 10:49 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

MikeEdwards wrote:
10m sounds like it would present more problems than it solves - you'd need a pretty big van to take it home.

Laughing Laughing Laughing I doubt it would be in a single 10m length - probably 10x1m or 5x2m - but of course you could always take a hacksaw along... Very Happy
Peter_L

PostPosted: Thu Jul 23, 2015 1:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Don't the likes of B&Q or Wickes, sell threaded rod by the metre ?

Here, all the box DIY stores carry such things. a little pricey but cheaper than driving 50Km. Then we have "Princess Auto", a big boy's paradise.

http://www.princessauto.com/en/, check out their car lifts and calculate the price now that there are 2$ Cnd to a UK £1
peppiB

PostPosted: Thu Jul 23, 2015 7:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Checked both Wickes and B&Q here and the smallest threaded rod they have is M4 - too big. Sad Don't want to drill out the threaded part of the motor and re - tap
goneps

PostPosted: Thu Jul 23, 2015 11:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Threaded rod should be available down to M3. Standard lengths are 1m and 2m; anything longer than that is generally for industrial applications. Try engineering fastener suppliers rather than retail outlets.

Richard
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Classic cars forum & vehicle restoration. Forum Index -> Electrical Restoration All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: