classic car forum header
Classic cars forum & vehicle restoration.
 FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 
Register     Posting Photographs     Privacy     F/book OCC Facebook     OCC on Patreon

Photo or diagram of insides of Smiths electric car clock
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Classic cars forum & vehicle restoration. Forum Index -> Electrical Restoration
Glenn Crawford

PostPosted: Tue Jul 28, 2015 6:06 pm    Post subject: Photo or diagram of insides of Smiths electric car clock Reply with quote

Can anyone help me with a photo or line drawing showing the insides of a Smiths electric car clock, the generic late-1930s to 1960s type with a ticking mechanism? I'm writing a short technical manual for owners of Riley RMs and would like to include an illustration showing how the clock works, and I'm hoping someone has one I can use.

What I also want to do is show where to put an arc-suppression component so that the clock keeps going for more than a year or two between services!

Thanks.
DM

PostPosted: Tue Jul 28, 2015 6:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

This site shows how to repair/upgrade one with a PCB, but does have quite a few photo's of the clock innards.

http://www.clocks4classics.com/uploads/1/2/9/8/12988821/clockkitfittinginstructions__v7.pdf
Glenn Crawford

PostPosted: Tue Jul 28, 2015 8:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for the suggestion, however the critical components that I need to show (the moving contact pin and the wiper) are unfortunately absent from the photos.

"Clocks 4 Classics"' solution to making the Smiths clock reliable throws an awful lot of technology at the problem - it's ingenious, discreet, no doubt it's completely reliable, and someone has clearly spent a lot of effort designing and developing it, but I couldn't help but wonder whether the end justifies the means!
DM

PostPosted: Tue Jul 28, 2015 8:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ok, I'll try again -

http://www.sa.hillman.org.au/TT_SmithsClock.htm

It shows you where to add a diode to protect the contacts too.
Glenn Crawford

PostPosted: Tue Jul 28, 2015 9:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks again DM, I'd already run across that diagram but I can't really use it - too furry, having presumably been photocopied many times. I was really hoping someone on this fine forum could help me out with photos from their own experience.
I've got one of these clocks but don't feel like pulling it apart just to take photos...
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Classic cars forum & vehicle restoration. Forum Index -> Electrical Restoration All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: