classic car forum header
Classic cars forum & vehicle restoration.
 FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 
Register     Posting Photographs     Privacy     F/book OCC Facebook     OCC on Patreon

Positive Earth - an explanation please
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Classic cars forum & vehicle restoration. Forum Index -> Electrical Restoration
Albioninoz

PostPosted: Fri Jul 31, 2015 1:35 am    Post subject: Positive Earth - an explanation please Reply with quote

I have a 1957 Rover P4 90 that is wired as positive earth, This is the first car I have had that is wired in this way and I am totally unsure as to what the effects are. Apart from the battery having the positive lead to earth and the negative to power, I have no idea how this affects other electrical units.

I would really appreciate an explanation on all this or a pointer to an article or similar that will explain it for me.

Thanks, Ray
goneps

PostPosted: Fri Jul 31, 2015 3:58 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Without going into technicalities, which others are far better equipped to do, it seems to have been a matter of fashion as much as anything. In terms of British cars, pre-war they were usually negative earth, but changed to positive around 1940, then back to negative again in the mid-'sixties. Our 1964 Herald was +ve earth, the 1968 Vitesse -ve.

It really makes no practical difference. My Morris Eight was changed to +ve earth during restoration in the 'seventies, but I changed it back to the correct -ve earth by the simple expedient of swapping the battery leads and re-polarising the dynamo. The chap who restored it claimed the contact breaker points arced less with +ve earth, but I've seen no evidence of that whatsoever.

Richard
ka

PostPosted: Fri Jul 31, 2015 7:23 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I also look forward to a technical reply, but from my experience, dynamos were positive earth, alternators were negative.
I wonder if it is anything to do with 'charging' the body of the car, and inducing an electrolytic action that leads to premature corrosion?

Better three than four.
ukdave2002

PostPosted: Fri Jul 31, 2015 8:46 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Positive earth was introduced as there was some evidence that it offered better corrosion protection. From an engineering perspective it's odd to have a positive earth/ ground, I suspect any corrosion protection was minimal. Hence the change back to -ve Earth. There are no electical benefits either way.

Dave
pigtin

PostPosted: Fri Jul 31, 2015 8:59 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

ka wrote:
I also look forward to a technical reply, but from my experience, dynamos were positive earth, alternators were negative.
I wonder if it is anything to do with 'charging' the body of the car, and inducing an electrolytic action that leads to premature corrosion?

I was around when the all changed to negative earth. The thinking at the time was that thepoints and positive battery terminal deteriorated rapidly with negative earth. It turned out that when changed to positive earth to prevent this the body deteriorated instead.
This was hardly noticible on the 1930s style of body but the post-war, lighter guage, bodies often made from poor quality metal and badly prepared suffered dreadfully.
In the late 50s 60s you could buy a sacrifical plate to attach to the body but it was usually too late.
I have seen articles dismissing this version of events, but as a motorist myself in the 50s and 60s that is as I remember it...
47Jag

PostPosted: Sat Aug 01, 2015 12:18 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Pigtin,

Great to see you back on the forum.

One other thing I've noticed on negative earthed cars is that the wiring corrodes instead of the bodies as Pigtin observed.

Art
Penguin45

PostPosted: Sat Aug 01, 2015 12:44 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

There's a big "BUT" - Volta got it wrong. +ve as we understand it is really -ve, so all these negative earth cars are really positive earth and all the above comments are entirely correct, just the wrong way round!

I suspect that it was really too late to make the correction.

P45.
trampintransit

PostPosted: Mon Sep 14, 2015 9:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

my understanding has always been that, since oxidation is the result of the loss of electrons, then a positive earthed car,on a wet day, will set up a feint electrolytic path of electrons from the body of the car to the ground ( earth ) via the conductive film of water covering the car and tyres...this loss of electrons IS oxidation. Thus, a positive earthed car will rust faster.

That's my dose of pub grade chemistry anyway
lowdrag

PostPosted: Tue Sep 15, 2015 10:08 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

As a complete failure at physics etc. I just understood +ive cars rusted and -ive ones didn't but not why, not that I would have understood probably. But my Jaguar has been +ive earth since I've owned it and has never had rust problems. And that's over 30 years now. Does it really matter or is it really down to how the car is looked after and stored?
trampintransit

PostPosted: Fri Sep 18, 2015 11:50 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Oh, I think we all know that how and where a car is kept has the biggest single influence of it's longevity. That's why I personally am not a fan of the 'drive it all year round' theory. The minute salt hits the road old cars start rotting, even if undersealed to death, salt spray will still make it's way into doors and screen seals and all over the place...rot..rot...rot. ..mind you, I'm in Scotland, the roads are salty for about 4months!!!

I moved garage one year...wasn't sure why but I realised that if I got under a car in the garage in winter, despite everything topside appearing dry, the underside of the car looked....sweaty. There was some kind of micro climate under the car in that garage...even on a concrete floor. Spent a fortune on the dehumidifier!
But...if the car is out and about, and gets wet, then a positive earth car , in theory rusts faster...but I'd love to hear from somebody properly educated in such matters? 'cos it sure aint me.
peter scott

PostPosted: Fri Sep 18, 2015 3:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

trampintransit wrote:
There was some kind of micro climate under the car in that garage...even on a concrete floor.

I don't think this is a problem if the concrete has a DPM underneath.

Peter
Bitumen Boy

PostPosted: Fri Sep 18, 2015 8:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

peter scott wrote:
trampintransit wrote:
There was some kind of micro climate under the car in that garage...even on a concrete floor.

I don't think this is a problem if the concrete has a DPM underneath.

Peter

Until the DPM fails...
jp928

PostPosted: Thu Jun 16, 2016 11:27 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nobody seems to have mentioned the preference that solid state devices like diodes in alternators have for negative earth - at least from the point of view that its MUCH easier to build an alternator with its diodes (rectifying the AC to DC) negative sides mounted to the body of the unit.
Swapping from pos to neg earth isnt always as simple as flashing the generator to suit. I once sold a P4 Rover to a man. A week or two later he called to say it wasnt running very well. What have you done? says I. Nothing, nothing, well not much.....Just swapped it to neg earth so I could fit a modern radio. Oh, have at look at the signs on the coil turret - they read + and - so the coil is polarity sensitive, swap its leads. All ok after that.

jp
goneps

PostPosted: Thu Jun 16, 2016 11:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Now you mention it, I recall someone else saying that electronics dislike +ve earth. The change to -ve earth in the mid-'sixties may have been prompted by the gradual emergence of radios, alternators, and other electronic gadgets on mass-produced vehicles.

The effect of the coil being wired the wrong way around might be why my man claimed that +ve earth meant less arcing of the points—weaker spark, thus less arc, although the car ran perfectly well. I didn't need to swap the coil LT wires because the CB terminal was already wired to the condenser.

Richard
Bitumen Boy

PostPosted: Fri Jun 17, 2016 11:24 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

jp928 wrote:
Nobody seems to have mentioned the preference that solid state devices like diodes in alternators have for negative earth - at least from the point of view that its MUCH easier to build an alternator with its diodes (rectifying the AC to DC) negative sides mounted to the body of the unit.

jp

Forgive my ignorance here (electronics really isn't my subject) but why is that the case? I would have thought that diodes could be mounted either way round but always interested in learning something new... Smile
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Classic cars forum & vehicle restoration. Forum Index -> Electrical Restoration All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: