classic car forum header
Classic cars forum & vehicle restoration.
 FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 
Register     Posting Photographs     Privacy     F/book OCC Facebook     OCC on Patreon

Best Engine
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Classic cars forum & vehicle restoration. Forum Index -> Classic & Vintage Cars, Lorries, Vans, Motorcycles etc - General Chat
poodge

PostPosted: Thu Aug 06, 2015 2:49 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have always loved the revving ability of the rotary engine.It's a great pity NSU never got the chance to develop it properly,as Mazda did.
The RO80 was a fantastic car when it ran!
baconsdozen

PostPosted: Thu Aug 06, 2015 8:00 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

In a weird way I rate the Ford Essex V4 as a great engine. They idle roughly and vibrate and have a habit of destroying the fibre timing gear. But the short length of the V4 made possible the MK1 transit van with a short nose and yet no great bulge inside the cab to house the engine. The van and its design went on to become one of the best known vehicles on the roads and was a true trend setter. I remember driving a new MK1 twin wheeler at 80mph down a motorway a performance that at the time seemed startling especially considering it was bigger than any other van on the road.
mikeC

PostPosted: Thu Aug 06, 2015 10:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Let me suggest a real left-field candidate, so left-field it's probably in another stadium!
How about the post-war Panhard 2-cylinder engine? In its ultimate Tigre form it managed to produce over 50 bhp from 850cc to give 100mph performance and 40 mpg, but even the original 1947 600cc produced something like 35 bhp at 6000 rpm and made the VW and BMC engines look pretty weedy. The bottom end was all roller bearings (mains and big ends) with special races with smaller rollers between the main rollers to reduce wear.
After the Citroen takeover politics, and perhaps production costs, killed it: wouldn't the 2CV have been something else with one of those engines?
peter scott

PostPosted: Thu Aug 06, 2015 11:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes, I'd like to add my vote for the Panhard.

Peter
ka

PostPosted: Fri Aug 07, 2015 7:55 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Throughout this subject, we have used different names to describe the engine derivatives fitted to various vehicles. The early Ford engines known as the E93a, then the 100e, I am not aware of a number or name for the Pre-crossflow, the full crossflow engine was known as the 'Kent' engine, (was this the 105?) the V configuration the "Essex', the OHC the 'Pinto'. Is this just as simple as the engine development numbers, even diffs and rear axles were known as 'Essex', and 'Atlas', anyone know the history behind these names/numbers, and did other manufacturers use this or similar system?

Better three than four.
peter scott

PostPosted: Fri Aug 07, 2015 8:13 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Were the designations such as 105E referencing an engine or was this rather a car build number?

I think 105E refers to the 997cc Harry Potter Anglia but is 107E not the reference to the final Prefect (100E shape) fitted with the 997cc engine?

Peter
JohnDale

PostPosted: Sat Aug 08, 2015 9:58 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

peter scott wrote:
Were the designations such as 105E referencing an engine or was this rather a car build number?

I think 105E refers to the 997cc Harry Potter Anglia but is 107E not the reference to the final Prefect (100E shape) fitted with the 997cc engine?

Peter

Yes Peter, 107E was 100E with the 105E engine,gearbox & rear axle.
100E,105E, & 107E are model designations rather than engines alone.Later we had 109E,116E & so on,all of which covered various engine sizes. Cheers,JD.
Keith D

PostPosted: Sat Aug 08, 2015 10:06 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The Ford numbers did apply to the models rather than the engines, but it becomes confusing when the Anglia, Prefect and later Popular all were designated 100E

Keith
BigJohn

PostPosted: Sat Aug 08, 2015 12:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I suppose what range the engine is classified in, the little Honda 50 mobilised Asia, and the Villiers powered every thing from motor bikes to rotovators over here. Then there is the Coventry Climax, generators to race cars and small family saloon.
Penman

PostPosted: Sat Aug 08, 2015 6:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi
BigJohn wrote:
I suppose what range the engine is classified in, the little Honda 50 mobilised Asia, and the Villiers powered every thing from motor bikes to rotovators over here. Then there is the Coventry Climax, generators to race cars and small family saloon.

Interesting that you mention the Villiers, as far as 250 twins go I always rated the Ariel engine over the Villiers, though the unversally available Villiers meant, as you said that it was used lots of things, many of the earlier Karts used them as well.

Any 2 from:-
Straight 6
V8 V10
Ashley

PostPosted: Sat Aug 08, 2015 7:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Penman wrote:
Hi
BigJohn wrote:

Interesting that you mention the Villiers, as far as 250 twins go I always rated the Ariel engine over the Villiers, though the unversally available Villiers meant, as you said that it was used lots of things, many of the earlier Karts used them as well.

Me too, I had both and the 2T was not as reliable. It handled funny, but I liked the Ariel Arrow. A friend did 48,000 on one.
stevel98

PostPosted: Tue Oct 13, 2015 12:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The (nearly) STOCK 350cu in L98 mouse motor in my '87 Corvette for the win! Very Happy

245horses, 345torks, 0-60 in 5secs, 13.5sec 1/4mile, uses no oil, smooth, no leaks or rattles, sounds awesome with its straight pipes, a doddle to work on, ..and 30+mpg for the long holiday trips..

Nothing like a Scottish Highland road trip behind a healthy V8, or a long 500mile run down to Goodwood, or cruising the Lake district, etc, etc...

..failing that, the 791cc, twincam, drysump, four carbed, Honda S800 I drove back in '72-'75.. The current McLaren F1 cars have, I'm sure, copied the exhaust note of this wee beast!
scott_budds

PostPosted: Tue Oct 13, 2015 3:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

A series is a great little unit and versatile.

Rover V8 overrated and underpowered.

Coventry climax is another great little engine that was better than it ever should really have been.

Buddsy
Da Tow'd

PostPosted: Tue Oct 13, 2015 3:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

the engine that I admire the most due to all the years that I've been pulling wrenches on them has to be the Volvo B series 4 cylinder.
solid and reliable
second in my book would be the VW TDi diesel

I sure like the sound of a wound out Porsche flat 6
cheers
Hank
Ray White

PostPosted: Tue Oct 13, 2015 4:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Might I speak up for the Austin Seven engine? By today's standards, quite inadequate but introduced in 1922 it brought motoring to the masses. It became known as the mighty atom.
A four cylinder side valve of 747cc, with a bore of just 2.2" this most unlikely unit powered hundreds of thousands of little cars and lent itself to tuning for thousands of specials and took numerous records at Brooklands.

To me, what is remarkable about this 2 (later 3) bearing engine is that it seems to do the impossible. It would be a mistake to compare it with other, more powerful engines, and it wasn't the best performer compared with some other engines in it's class but it did what was asked of it.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Classic cars forum & vehicle restoration. Forum Index -> Classic & Vintage Cars, Lorries, Vans, Motorcycles etc - General Chat All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next
Page 3 of 6

Jump to: