classic car forum header
Classic cars forum & vehicle restoration.
 FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 
Register     Posting Photographs     Privacy     F/book OCC Facebook     OCC on Patreon

Do you wish you were multi skilled?
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Classic cars forum & vehicle restoration. Forum Index -> Classic & Vintage Cars, Lorries, Vans, Motorcycles etc - General Chat
Ellis

PostPosted: Thu Oct 15, 2015 9:16 pm    Post subject: Do you wish you were multi skilled? Reply with quote

On removing the back tub of my 1962 Series 2a Land Rover last week a friend and I saw a patch of nasty dry rust invisible with the tub in place. I winced but my friend who is a Lloyds certified welder said "no great problem" and two hours of deft work had the rust cut out , replaced with new metal and the repair completed and skillfully done.

I watched him with admiration and envious of his skill.

How skilled are all of you?

I avoid car electrical tasks bar the simple ones but my self taught body and paintwork abilities are okay. I will tackle interior, suspension and brake work and some mechanical tasks but often say "I wish I knew more" when I seek assistance.

Where are your restoration skills or weaknesses?

1964 Jaguar Mark 2 3.4 litre
1962 Land Rover Series 2a 88"
2002 BMW M3 E46 Cabriolet
Dipster

Location: UK, France and Portugal - unless I am travelling....

PostPosted: Thu Oct 15, 2015 10:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

My principal weakness is never having enough money to do everything I would like to.
Ray White

PostPosted: Thu Oct 15, 2015 10:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I wouldn't like to have to work on today's "computer" cars for a living but I suppose it all depends on what you are used to. I am basically ignorant of electronics but I can only blame myself for simply not even trying to learn.

When it comes to old cars, I will tackle most jobs. If it comes apart I will try and find a repair. Some things, however, seem to never quite turn out as well as they should. Things like turning threads on the lathe. It's probably lack of practise but I always seem to resort to a die stock when my lathe work fails.

It makes me quite unhappy that I sometimes lack the skills that lifts the quality of work from the level of an amateur.
Keith D

PostPosted: Fri Oct 16, 2015 2:16 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have always done the electrical and mechanical work on my cars myself, having been trained in engineering, but bodywork and upholstery skills are things I have to admire in others!

In my working days I spent many years working in the North West of our great State, only flying home for occasional weekends. Consequently I had to get most bodywork and upholstery done by professionals around Perth, although I made sure that I fitted everything together.

The people I truly admire however, are competent spray painters. They make it look so dammed easy!

Keith
Dipster

Location: UK, France and Portugal - unless I am travelling....

PostPosted: Fri Oct 16, 2015 7:34 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

[quote="Ray White"]I wouldn't like to have to work on today's "computer" cars for a living but I suppose it all depends on what you are used to.

How right you are.

My son in law is a Mercedes and BMW trained "Vehicle Technician". He is only in his 30s and is looking to change his path in life simply because he finds the "plug it in, read the screen and change the part" that makes up most of his days so boring. He tells me he rarely has to think at all.
Riley Blue

PostPosted: Fri Oct 16, 2015 7:56 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Multi skilled....? A single skill would be useful!!

1963 Riley 1.5
1965 Riley 1.5
roverdriver

PostPosted: Fri Oct 16, 2015 10:21 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I really enjoy watching a skilled operator at work, but fear that the word 'skilled' cannot be applied to any of my activities.

Having said that, I managed to restore a Model A Ford completely, with the exception of the actual machine work on the engine. I hand polished oversize pistons to size, hand scraped the babbit bearings to a good fit. I ironed out the body and painted it, although my wife did the upholstery with a little help from me. We subsequently drove that car for over 150,000 miles before selling it on.

I will tackle most jobs and usually get a reasonable result, but never perfect. I rather like a challenge too, so like Ray, if it comes apart, there is a fair chance that I can disassemble, repair and reassemble with success.
peter scott

PostPosted: Fri Oct 16, 2015 10:21 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm happy with mechanicals and electricals (including modern diagnostics although getting propriatory info is a real problem).

I get by with interior restoration but I'm a very poor welder and an even worse spray painter.

Peter
Rootes75

PostPosted: Fri Oct 16, 2015 10:56 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I find mechanical work no problem and over time have become quite skilled with the welder too. Electrical wise I can get by, fault find and repair.

The skill I really want to learn is spraying and how to properly prepare for spraying.
Ashley

PostPosted: Fri Oct 16, 2015 2:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

roverdriver wrote:
I really enjoy watching a skilled operator at work, but fear that the word 'skilled' cannot be applied to any of my activities.

Having said that, I managed to restore a Model A Ford completely, with the exception of the actual machine work on the engine. I hand polished oversize pistons to size, hand scraped the babbit bearings to a good fit. I ironed out the body and painted it, although my wife did the upholstery with a little help from me. We subsequently drove that car for over 150,000 miles before selling it on.

I will tackle most jobs and usually get a reasonable result, but never perfect. I rather like a challenge too, so like Ray, if it comes apart, there is a fair chance that I can disassemble, repair and reassemble with success.

I'm a fan!

I admire your endeavour and envy you that Cyclops.

Ash.
clan chieftain

PostPosted: Sat Oct 17, 2015 8:39 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I would imagine that the majority would like to be able to paint.......properly.
ajlelectronics

PostPosted: Sat Oct 17, 2015 9:13 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

clan chieftain wrote:
I would imagine that the majority would like to be able to paint.......properly.

Painting is not so hard. It is the preparation that is the hard work. I think that anyone can spray, if they take the time to understand the job. Just like cooking, follow the recipe and it should all come together.

I have just done my first paint job with water based metallic basecoat. I was mindful of all the warnings about how difficult it would be, but it was probably easier than solvent basecoat.... One mist coat, dry, one heavy coat, dry, perhaps one more coat if colour uneven, dry, drop coat and lacquer after drying. The only issue is the time it takes to dry without booth equipment. I was waiting over an hour between coats.
ukdave2002

PostPosted: Sat Oct 17, 2015 6:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think if you replaced "skill" with "technique" it's slightly different:

There's are folk who have a natural talent; most people who are good at a particular sport tend to be quite good at all other sports.

Likewise there are folk that we term as being "handy" who can turn a hand to many things.

I'm probably in the latter, (Jack of all trades master of none) at school my woodwork teacher was convinced my dad must be a joiner as I could shape wood, our metalwork teacher had a similar view! I worked as a labourer during the summer for a builder whilst at Uni, there are houses in Bristol where I laid the facing bricks and plasterd the interior, it's a technique not a skill... Ironically I was studiying electrical and electronic stuff, but my employer wouldn't let me near anything electrical for insurance reasons !!!

Same with painting cars...robots do it in modern car factories so it must be a technique rather than a skill.

Electrical work is the most straight forward as it is mostly binary..

The counter side is a mate of mine who is a plumber, he can bend and solder copper and its looks like a work of art, he was taught to do it by his dad who is also a plumber, And they both have every plumbing qualification under the sun, yet he is absolutely useless at doing any other practical job !

Dave
Ray White

PostPosted: Sun Oct 18, 2015 12:04 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Dave, your school experiences remind me of my own frustrating school days. The difference was that my Grandfather was a Master cabinet maker and my Father was a prominent engineer so it was not that surprising that I did well at practical subjects. I should have gone into engineering - I was particularly keen to join Bruce McLaren's F1 team where I lived in Woking - but my parents were against the idea.

I was a pretty decent pianist but I wasn't good enough (despite getting all my grades to Diploma level) to take it up professionally, so it was expected I would go into teaching.
I went to Trent Park to study music and took a teacher training course but it didn't suit me and I dropped out.

I don't regret not making the most of my talents but I do sometimes wonder how differently my life could have turned out had I taken a different course...
baconsdozen

PostPosted: Sun Oct 18, 2015 10:16 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have all sorts of problems with paintwork,no matter how long I spend rubbing down and filling I can still see where I've 'been'. I can't match colours either and am far too impatient with the whole operation.
Having now bought a very complicated modern,I am learning all about ECUs,and self levelling all singing and all dancing suspension and a dashboard that looks more like an arcade game. This after decades of swearing blind that electronics had no place in a car and a mind that thinks in inches and thou!.
I'm not sure if I'm moving with the times or have just gone gaga. I'm selling up my business so at least I'll have plenty of time to try and get to grips with relays and sensors rather than simple nuts and bolts,will that make me multi skilled?.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Classic cars forum & vehicle restoration. Forum Index -> Classic & Vintage Cars, Lorries, Vans, Motorcycles etc - General Chat All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: