classic car forum header
Classic cars forum & vehicle restoration.
 FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 
Register     Posting Photographs     Privacy     F/book OCC Facebook     OCC on Patreon

Anyone for Dashcams ?
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Classic cars forum & vehicle restoration. Forum Index -> General Motoring & Collectables (inc Classic Caravans)
Peter_L

PostPosted: Tue Feb 23, 2016 8:00 pm    Post subject: Anyone for Dashcams ? Reply with quote

After seeing the panic stricken actions of people steering cars, (previously known as driving) when a 9ft high Moose decided to wander across the 4 lanes, we have just ordered a Dash-Cam, it actually fits on the interior mirror.

Not getting a camera because of an accident but because it isn't something one will see every day.

Night driving here in New Brunswick is dangerous because of Moose and Moose related accidents cause more fatalities than any other single cause.
emmerson

PostPosted: Tue Feb 23, 2016 9:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

We found the same thing in Sweden.I asked why cars had huge banks of long range lights across the front, and apparently they are for spotting moose crossing the road in the dark!
The moose can get quite cross as it comes through the windscreen!
Keith D

PostPosted: Wed Feb 24, 2016 6:27 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Kangaroos can also become very nasty with their feet after they've travelled through a windscreen, but I wouldn't buy a camera just to see them again! I'd sooner buy the whistle device that fits under the front bumper and is supposed to keep them away from the car.

Keith
ka

PostPosted: Wed Feb 24, 2016 8:43 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The hares up here are quite vicious, sometimes they seem to be dazzled in the headlights!

Better three than four.
peter scott

PostPosted: Wed Feb 24, 2016 10:32 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Keith D wrote:
Kangaroos can also become very nasty with their feet after they've travelled through a windscreen, but I wouldn't buy a camera just to see them again! I'd sooner buy the whistle device that fits under the front bumper and is supposed to keep them away from the car.

Keith

....and the chances are that the roo would kill the camera after passing through the screen!

Peter Laughing
Dipster

Location: UK, France and Portugal - unless I am travelling....

PostPosted: Wed Feb 24, 2016 11:08 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Keith D wrote:

Keith

I have driven quite a bit in Oz and think the more dangerous beast to collide with would be a camel. I nearly drove into a small herd of camels one evening in the NT. I was on a small road in the Kings Canyon area. It was sunset and I was driving in to the sun. I suddenly found I had a good few camels crossing the road right in front of me. Happily I was able to stop and they passed by on their way. But I imagine having one of those as a bonnet mascot would not have improved the rented Cruiser one bit!

OT but the Cruiser had the unique (surely) registration of 0. The hire company also had 1 to 9, Mickey, Minnie and Donald. Cute, no?
Keith D

PostPosted: Wed Feb 24, 2016 12:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Dipster, - Yes, the camels are a worry, but they are not all over the densely populated bits of Oz, whereas the 'roos are!
The black cows that are feral and live around Carnarvon in the top left hand corner of Austrailia are also very nasty. Hit one of them (about half a ton) at night at 110km/hour and godbye!

In fact everything seems to wants to hurt us in Oz!

Peter - After passing through the windscreen the roo would almost certainly have taken the camera out and then he would start kicking his legs and that's the time to open the door and roll out irrespective of your speed!

Keith
Peter_L

PostPosted: Wed Feb 24, 2016 1:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The Moose related purpose of the camera, was to catch images of the said animal. Bear, Deer, Bison or [Alligator, (when in Florida)]. on the highway, rather than as it passes over the hood/bonnet, a situation which is best avoided.

The big snakes are easier to photograph with a normal camera because they move slower.
emmerson

PostPosted: Wed Feb 24, 2016 6:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

emmerson wrote:
We found the same thing in Sweden.I asked why cars had huge banks of long range lights across the front, and apparently they are for spotting moose crossing the road in the dark!
The moose can get quite cross as it comes through the windscreen!

On our Swedish trip we found that traffic hold-ups were very rare, so were quite surprised one day to be caught up in a five car "jam". It was caused, apparently, by a bear which had come down out of the woods, and we had to wait while they shot it!
Can't see that happening in deepest Surrey.
Ronniej

PostPosted: Thu Feb 25, 2016 2:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Oh dear! It makes the occasional encounter with a deer seem quite tame by comparison. They are no longer confined to the highlands, there are quite a few close to Glasgow but they only come close to the roads in severe weather when they get hungry.
On the subject of dashcams, my son is learning to drive and his instructor has a dashcams front and rear. He can do an instant replay to show his pupils when they make mistakes. Very neat and a world away of what things were like when I was learning.
A dashcam would certainly be useful in the event of an accident (particularly if you became involved in a "crash for cash" scam) but I doubt if I will be fitting one anytime soon.
Perhaps they will become a standard fitting eventually. Who knows?
Penman

PostPosted: Thu Feb 25, 2016 5:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi
They even provide a warning sign for these around Bridge of Garten, it was on the way to Loch Garten from the village and there were even a pair of broken white lines leading at an angle across the road between a pair of under fence wooden tunnels.

Any 2 from:-
Straight 6
V8 V10
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Classic cars forum & vehicle restoration. Forum Index -> General Motoring & Collectables (inc Classic Caravans) All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: