classic car forum header
Classic cars forum & vehicle restoration.
 FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 
Register     Posting Photographs     Privacy     F/book OCC Facebook     OCC on Patreon

Good Deed.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Classic cars forum & vehicle restoration. Forum Index -> General Motoring & Collectables (inc Classic Caravans)
Peter_L

PostPosted: Wed Oct 21, 2015 3:07 pm    Post subject: Good Deed. Reply with quote

Prompted by this BBC article.

bbc.com/travel/story/20151020-saving-a-car-by-sitting-on-it

Have you received or carried out a memorable motoring related good deed ?
Rick
Site Admin

PostPosted: Wed Oct 21, 2015 3:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm not able to view content on the BBC Worldwide site it seems ...

As for motoring good deeds, well I've pulled over on a few occasions to help people broken down in old car(s). But I suppose most of us have done that too.

One odd one I do recall, was dad rather than myself, and possibly my uncle too. We were on holiday in N Wales, not far from the Sychnant Pass. One day we popped over to the Pass for a walk, and noticed that someone had parked their Austin/Morris 1100 at the side of the road, with two of their wheels on one side teetering on the edge of quite a large drop. The driver was getting into a bit of a flap, when she realised how close she was to slipping off the side of the edge.

Dad clambered onto one side of the 1100 to help balance it, while the occupant of the car got their act together and moved it backwards and away from imminent doom.

From memory there's the remains of an old Ford (100E) somewhere near the bottom of the Pass, or at least there used to be.

RJ
OCC & classic car merchandise (Austin, Ford ++):
https://www.redbubble.com/people/OldClassicCar/shop
MVPeters

PostPosted: Wed Oct 21, 2015 4:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Rick wrote:
I'm not able to view content on the BBC Worldwide site it seems ...
RJ

The BBC have some strange rules!

Apparently the car rolled backwards down some steps, across the harbour wall & the rear wheels dropped off the edge.
Recovery, though heart-stopping, was accomplished by a flat-bed & crane.
Interesting video & apparently not on YT.

Think of the Turkish version of the finale of 'The Italian Job'!
lowdrag

PostPosted: Wed Oct 21, 2015 5:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Try www.bbc.com/travel then in the search box type saving a car but without the hyphens in the OP. I found it that way.

As regards helping people out, I've decided charity starts at home and stopped lending things. Last time the trailer came back with the wiring loom just bare metal where it had dragged along the floor. Of course, they denied everything. Tools have been butchered, chain saws wrecked, so now I politely refuse. But I do stop if a car is in trouble, provided I count the tools out and back.

I suppose my most annoying one was when an E-type owner at the Silverstone Classic came by in a right lather asking all and sundry if they knew where he could find a bottom radiator hose, and since the traders had all packed up on Sunday evening (we went home Monday) an impossible task - except I had one in the boot which I gave him, receiving his heartfelt thanks and devotion and promising to put a new one in the post. Twenty years later I am still waiting but I have replaced it in the interim.
peter scott

PostPosted: Wed Nov 04, 2015 12:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
According to Turkey’s Hurriyet Daily News, a tourist parked their rental car outside a museum in Istanbul’s Beşiktaş district, but neglected to put the handbrake on. As the empty car slowly rolled backwards to meet its watery grave in the Bosphorus Strait, several locals jumped onto the front, using just their body weight to leverage the moving vehicle.

With more than half the car dangling precariously over the water, the four men tied the vehicle to nearby bollards and then nonchalantly perched on the bonnet, passing the time until assistance arrived by smoking cigarettes and chatting on their mobile phones.

We love the chilled-out attitude of these good Samaritans! And in the run-up to World Kindness Day on 13 November, we want to keep good vibes going.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4SYTcrZa7F8#t=33

Shades of The Italian Job.

Peter Shocked
Ray White

PostPosted: Fri Nov 06, 2015 6:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

When I lived in Finchampstead, Berkshire, I was tootling along in 'trundles', enjoying the pretty countryside near Eversely Cross, when I came across an older chap with an early Model T Ford that had broken down. His name was Saunders (Can't remember his first name) and he was stuck for a small return spring in connection with the ignition. I was happy enough to return home and get one for him and before long the car was running again.

Unexpectedly, in the post a couple of days later arrived a "thank you" letter from Mr Saunders who also had some interesting memories of a Swallow and a photo.

I never met Mr Saunders again but I hope he is still with us.
ukdave2002

PostPosted: Fri Nov 06, 2015 7:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I never help anyone Wink

However I have been helped out 3 times in the last few years; ironically all on the same stretch of road..... The A500 a couple of miles from my house...

First time; I'd picked up a Crypton tuner from Blackpool (75 miles away) it was standing upright on a trailer and I'd been really careful given it was top heavy, anyway 2 miles from home I must have got complacent and went round a roundabout too quickly... Trailer overturned Embarassed I stoped as did the van behind me and me and the van driver quickly righted the trailer Very Happy

Second time and on the same roundabout, I'd just completed a restoration on my Dads Morris Minor, took it for a blast, going right round the roundabout to come home and the engine cuts out, car stops, 2 young people jump out of a Pug with a bake bean can exhaust and push me to saftey Very Happy , quickly discovered it was nothing more than a lead coming off the coil.

3rd time same road, 1 junction up in the Stag, engine cuts out so I drift off the road and open the bonnet, simular fault to the Morris except that it's the wire failed on the Lucar conection to the coil, so I'm attempting to strip the wire and then wind it round the coil connecter, when a van stops behind me, and he has electrical connecters and crimps on board Shocked so no bodge repair a proper one Very Happy

In all 3 cases I was stationary for less than 2 or 3 mins...quite unbelievable really, but puts ones faith back in the human race Very Happy

Dave
Bitumen Boy

PostPosted: Fri Nov 06, 2015 9:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

ukdave2002 wrote:
when a van stops behind me, and he has electrical connecters and crimps on board Shocked

I always carry both in the Herald. Saved me a walk on several occasions... Smile
peppiB

PostPosted: Fri Nov 06, 2015 9:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

One Sunday afternoon about 6 years ago, tootling home in my Moggy there was a Moggy Traveller stopped with bonnet up. I pulled over to find the problem was knocking (ie hammering like mad) big ends. Ended up finding and fitting a replacement engine for him. He has since become a good friend
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Classic cars forum & vehicle restoration. Forum Index -> General Motoring & Collectables (inc Classic Caravans) All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: