classic car forum header
Classic cars forum & vehicle restoration.
 FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 
Register     Posting Photographs     Privacy     F/book OCC Facebook     OCC on Patreon

We need a bigger boat.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Classic cars forum & vehicle restoration. Forum Index -> General Motoring & Collectables (inc Classic Caravans)
Peter_L

PostPosted: Thu Nov 19, 2015 2:13 pm    Post subject: We need a bigger boat. Reply with quote

I found the video entertaining.

http://www.bbc.com/future/story/20151113-this-is-why-people-cut-cruise-ships-in-half
Rick
Site Admin

PostPosted: Thu Nov 19, 2015 2:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Amazing what goes on eh!?

RJ
OCC & classic car merchandise (Austin, Ford ++):
https://www.redbubble.com/people/OldClassicCar/shop
ukdave2002

PostPosted: Thu Nov 19, 2015 3:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

You need to look out for some of these cut and shut jobs Wink
minormatt

PostPosted: Thu Nov 19, 2015 5:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Did you know that Nuclear Subs are refulled by cutting a hole in the pressure hull refulling and welding it back up again?
D4B

PostPosted: Thu Nov 19, 2015 6:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

minormatt wrote:
Did you know that Nuclear Subs are refulled by cutting a hole in the pressure hull refulling and welding it back up again?

Not a job for the feint hearted! Hope they are paid very well Shocked
Peter_L

PostPosted: Thu Nov 19, 2015 6:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

minormatt wrote:

I thought that they didn't need refueling. Doesn't the fuel last for so long the sub would be well past its "use by" date. ?
emmerson

PostPosted: Thu Nov 19, 2015 10:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

ukdave2002 wrote:

And you can't even see the join!!!!!!!!!!!!
Peter_L

PostPosted: Thu Nov 19, 2015 11:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

emmerson wrote:
ukdave2002 wrote:

And you can't even see the join!!!!!!!!!!!!

Bondo and paint. Works wonders
ka

PostPosted: Fri Nov 20, 2015 8:40 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I accept this is the other end of the spectrum, but one of our inter-island ferries, 'The Hoy Head', no clues as to where it sailed to, was cut across around the 1/3, 2/3 mark, and an extra lump welded in the middle to extend it.

Better three than four.
Penman

PostPosted: Fri Nov 20, 2015 12:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/MV_Hoy_Head

Any 2 from:-
Straight 6
V8 V10
peter scott

PostPosted: Fri Nov 20, 2015 3:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Certainly not the only ship to have a large section inserted in its centre but great video.

Peter

Penman

PostPosted: Fri Nov 20, 2015 9:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi
This is part of an article I wrote back in 2010 criticising the Dept for Transport and DSA
Quote:
I have recently been re-reading the autobiography of the engineer and novelist Nevil Shute. “Slide Rule” published by Heinman in hardback or Pan in paperback.
He was involved in the construction of the private venture airship R100 which was built at Howden, Yorkshire at the same time as the government was building the ill-fated R101 at Cardington.
The previous British airships included the Air Ministry built R38 which had crashed in the Humber estuary.
During the enquiry into this crash it had transpired that the engineers had done no calculation of the aerodynamic forces acting on the frame during flight, the airship had in fact been built by copying the sizes of the girders on the wartime German Zeppelins.
None of the “engineers” responsible for this earlier disaster were disciplined and were subsequently to be the builders/designers of the R101.
The R101 initially failed to reach it’s designed range/load parameters and shortly before it’s final trial flights had to have an additional bay inserted in to the central section along with another gasbag, because of political considerations it was then decided that it would have to undertake it’s long flight to India without actually undergoing the full complement of trial flights which had been previously planned.
But this mattered not as the organisation which issued airworthiness certificates was the same as that which built it.
Nevil Shute writes “ A man’s own experiences determine his opinions, of necessity.
I was 31 yrs of old at the time of the R101 disaster, and my first close contact with senior civil servants and politicians at work was in the field of airships, where I watched them produce disaster. That experience still (written some 38 yrs later) colours much of my thinking. I am very willing to recognize the good in many men of these two classes, but a politician or a civil servant is still to me an arrogant fool till he is proved otherwise”
“Either these men at the Air Ministry were extraordinarily stupid, or they appreciated that quite abnormal and unjustifiable risks were being taken with the R101.
If the latter be true, then they failed to speak up against the Minister because they were afraid. If just one of them had said ‘This thing is wrong, and i will be no party to it, I’m sorry gentlemen but if you do this , I’m resigning’- if that had happened on any one of a dozen or so opportunities, the disaster would almost certainly have been averted.
It was not said because the men in question put their jobs before their duty”
Why, you might say, do I go to such lengths to tell you about these events and opinions?
The Air Ministry as was then, is nowadays part of the same organisation which has responsibility for all transport matters in the UK, and is thus in charge of the DSA, which let’s face it is only an arm’s length way of government trying to disavow itself of responsibility for driving standards.
Why do you think the DSA’s training centre is on part of the original Cardington airship base?
It is because the site still belonged to the Ministry at the time the training centre was moved from Hendon.
Does the same attitude to research and statistics, ignore what doesn’t fit with pre-conceived ideas, still persist in the higher levels of the civil service and government.?

Any 2 from:-
Straight 6
V8 V10
peter scott

PostPosted: Fri Nov 20, 2015 9:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nevil Shute's "Slide Rule" is certainly a good read. I just re-read it again a couple of months ago.

Peter
Peter_L

PostPosted: Sat Nov 21, 2015 12:52 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

http://www.airshipsonline.com/airships/r101/Crash/R101_Crash.htm

http://www.airshipsonline.com/airships/r101/
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Classic cars forum & vehicle restoration. Forum Index -> General Motoring & Collectables (inc Classic Caravans) All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: